ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Was it worth it?

Clio 172, RX8 231
Some of you may remember I picked up a silver ph1 172 for £700. It had 61000 miles and apart from a bit of bubbling on the rear arches, looked okay.

I've just put it through it's MOT and since buying it I've had to do this:

Replace both rear discs and pads

Replace both rear shocks

Replace both rear springs

Replace battery

Replace gearbox end cap

Weld small hole

Turn off airbag light

Replace brake pipes

Fix sticky hazard switch

Replace missing headlight screws

Replace faulty seat belt

Fit new earth strap

Fit new O2 sensor

Refit front license plate

Replace fuel pump relay

I've probably spent £500 doing this. £1200 for a 61k ph1 172 with a full years mot.

Was it worth it?

Nissan 350z
Things are cheap for a reason, any 12yr+ old car you buy for less than a grand is going to need work doing to it. At least you know those jobs have now been done.

Clio 172
I dont think thats too bad... Cars are money pits. You could buy a "minter" for £3000 and it could still throw a wobly a few weeks later and need £500 worth of work doing! £1200 for a 172 with 12 month ticket and that mileage...you haven't done too bad IMO.

Clio 172
Are belts done!

Add the belts in and your looking at £2000 all in for a car with 61k on the clock and 12 months MOT, you cant really complain at that. Although...the rust would need to be seen to as well....

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lets be honest, you didn't really check the car over and thought you bought a bargain? Am I right?

Clio 1.2
I had the same problem but with a 1.2 and have spent ALOT of money on it but now I know I have a reliable nice little car what wont let me down.

Lets be honest, you didn't really check the car over and thought you bought a bargain? Am I right?
I'm not referring to the OP here, but basically that's how I see it on here when everything is 'over priced' and someone got a real bargain etc. It turns out that in reality they didn't at all!

phase 1 flamer 172
Not too bad really, could have paid £1200 and still had to replace most of those parts.

clio sport 172
I paid £600 for my ph1. Nearly £2000 spent on parts and it's still not perfect but I don't plan on selling. If you want a nice car it costs £££££££

PH1 172, E39
Some of you may remember I picked up a silver ph1 172 for £700. It had 61000 miles and apart from a bit of bubbling on the rear arches, looked okay.

I've just put it through it's MOT and since buying it I've had to do this:

Replace both rear discs and pads

Replace both rear shocks

Replace both rear springs

Replace battery

Replace gearbox end cap

Weld small hole

Turn off airbag light

Replace brake pipes

Fix sticky hazard switch

Replace missing headlight screws

Replace faulty seat belt

Fit new earth strap

Fit new O2 sensor

Refit front license plate

Replace fuel pump relay

I've probably spent £500 doing this. £1200 for a 61k ph1 172 with a full years mot.

Was it worth it?

Is the fuel pump relay a genuine Renault one?

PH2 RS172
not too bad, you can easily buy a more expensive car and still have to chuck 500 quid at out of nowhere so it was worth the gamble imo. bargains rarely exist though in the car game, if its cheap its usually for a reason and not because its your lucky day lol