ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wash Day

106 GTi

Well.....Wolfgang on black looks amazing and leaves a very very slick suface, cant wait to get another coat on tommorrow and then crack open the Souveran on Sunday.

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 25 March 2005

^^If Id known 182_blue I would have sent you down a sample:(
thx for that brazo , its a shame as im dying to try it properly, guess i will have to wait till next week now

RB 182

Just finished polishing mine but its too dark to take any pictures! It was bad enought trying to find the bits id not done.

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 25 March 2005

IIRC Paint thickness is measured in thousands of an inch and typically paint including the clearcoat is around 20 -30 thousands of an inch with the hard clearcoat forming approx 8 thousands of an inch, wet snading with a 1200 grit paper will generally remove 1-2 thousands of an inch per gentle pass, tests were done poilishing paint 30 times in a month with an abrasive polish with no real reduction in clearcoat thickness.

You would therefore literally have to polish your paint every day!

Saying that Renault paint is ony two thousands of an inch thick and can be fully removed after 3 polishes;)
Just to correct myself the average paint thickness would actually be 4-5 thousands of an inch, otherwise known as mils. Wet sanding will generally remove 0.1 mil per pass