ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wash, Polish, Pads roundup

Mk1 Naples RT
Hi guys, great forum!

Im a professional Car Valeter in the midlands area, I recently invested in a PC 7424 Polisher from a member on this site. Ive been taught under the 3 stage method of Rotory Polishing, cutting glaze, Cristal Shine, Weathersheald (all self ecsplainitory), using standard industrial polishes (used by car auctions etc for volume valets), Ive recently started on my own and have a few "well off" customers in the area, requesting machine polishing, and i want to use my new 7424 correctly, and do a professional job, as i want to try and move away from my Rotory polisher.

Ive been looking through various forums and following guides (detailing world, eutopia etc) to learn the system, but the more I read, the more it seems to get confusing, so I hope im not alone!

Theres losts of threads asking the same questions on this forum and id like to try and round up the answers from the guys who know what they are on about! Obviously oppinions will differ, but it would be good to hear as many as possible.

Firstly washing.
Woolen Mit?... wot product is best for washing, chemicles?

Then Clay

The Pads
From guides ive read, similar to my rotory polisher ill need 3 pads (basic)
Ive looked on here...

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb54-57_63polish.html

So im thinking...

Orange Pad - Cutting
White Pad - Minor Cutting, Some shine (If paintwork is of fairly good condition can this replace an orange pad?)
Black Pad - Glazing
Red - Finishing Pad, for sealing with a Was Product to protect from the weather?

Now the Biggy, and the one im most stuck on... What products to use with each pad, when i was reading forums a couple of months ago, Meguairs was always talked of, No #80 and #83 were mentioned alot. Now different products are more comonly mentioned. Although as i said above, alot of the product you choose, will be of personal prefference, it would be nice to see what is being used to achieve what.

What polishes etc do you guys use, from when you roll your car out, to when you roll it back into the garage JD?

Wash
Cutting
Glaze
Sealing etc

Would be a massive help!!

Cheers
Martin

106 GTi
Washing - lamswool mitt here for me, some like the Microgfiber one, both are much better than a sponge. Car wash - my current top choice is Sonax Gloss Shampoo from Vauxhall Dealers. Well priced, good suds, and well lubricating.

Pads yeah spot on, different manufacters colour then different.

Always try the midlest solution first, dont use a cutting pad if a polishing pad will do the job.

In general

Orange or Yellow - Cutting Pads - Swirl removal Deep Polishing
White or Green - Polishing Pad - Polishing and Glazing
Blue, Black or Red - Finishing Pads - Glazing, Waxing or Sealing

Not a big fan of the Megs #83, prefer the Poorboys SSR 2.5 find it easier to use. Love the #80 though.

Process on my own car, here.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=135559

Just needs a coat of wax to finish.

Would not normally do that on a customers due to time constraints.

Would - Sonax
Swirl remove - Poorboys SSR 2.5
Polish - Megs Speeds Glaze then AG SRP
Seal - AG EGP or Poorboys EX-p and/or a good Carnuba