ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Washing And Waxing Fresh Paint

Get my car back from colour coding tomorrow and was thinking about giving it the job lot, wash and wax etc.

Anyway, will wax be OK on the fresh new paint or should I leave it for abit?

Glad I can wax the whole car now, no more Back To Black! lol !

It wil be fine, assuming the paint cured in a proper environment. Just dont use a sponge if you want to avoid swirl marks!

H22A7 Accord Type R

personally.......id leave it a week.....especially in winter.....probably no need, but i would :)

I think your best bet is to ask the shop that sprayed it.
IIRC you shouldnt wax new paint from a bodyshop until its fully cured, about 6 weeks.
Bodyshop ovens cant use the same temps as the factory ones, or they would melt all the plastic and rubber bits.
And yes, use a wash mit, not a sponge, unless you want the aged look, so soon after having it re-sprayed :eek:

Punto/Clio GTT

waxing is fine gee, paint dont fully go off until a few months.

in bodyshops when a car comes out of the spraybooth, its fit up, which takes a few hours usually, then nibbed, mopped and waxed.

trust me its fine.

FM

Yeah, washings fine.
Waxing is a diff matter, or so i thought, but it sounds like FM knows more about it than me.
Just something else to consider though, unless youve got a garage to do it in i wouldnt bother because the wax wont dry enough to be able to get it off without smearing, its too bloddy cold and damp out there.

Punto/Clio GTT

jus dont feel the urge to press your nail into it to test if its hard.. i know its tempting.. but it probably will leave a small mark. also if you press your finger down really hard onto it, it may leave a fingerprint in the laquer, very fine.

so just wash it like normal, but .. without poking

FM

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 22 December 2004

I was told to leave it 60 days before polishing/waxing mate.
Nice one. Ill see what they say anyway.
As its fresh paint will look sound enuff just washed eh

Just a thought, you say its been colour coded, do you mean its had a full re-spray, or just had certain bits taken off and sprayed. If its just bits then they could have given them the full temp in the oven, in which case youre ok to wash and wax straight away.
But like i say, if youre doing it outside i wouldnt bother.

Yeah, just colour coded the bump strips, handles etc.
It has been in the oven, they said it is fine to do straight away.

Got the car back now! Look mint IMO, would get pics up but weather is poor.

£260 for the front and back bump strips, strips on the side and spoilor, plus fixing a dent.

£150 on top for side skirts and they painted ma cup spoiler that came late!