ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water Droplets

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
I've had a play tonight with water droplets but they don't seem sharp. I think its the shutter speed but i've seen other peoples and they have used roughly the same as me. I got the 400D and the sync on the flash is 1/200th maximum so thats what I'm using, is this the problem or do you think I'm not in focus? been using Manual focus. All taken at F22-1/200th

blackyellowdrip.jpg

smalldrip.jpg

My favourite

blackorangedrip.jpg

LY 182 FF CUPPED
the centre image does look a little back focused.
In the top image is the drop on the way up....as there is a slight blur below?
Its possible its out of your depth of field???
Like fubar said try to pull back a touch thus letting us see more of the scene and also giving you more depth of field, which should help you get around the focus problem.

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
I see what your saying, I didn't want to get any of the bowl in the picture though so I had to go that close, I'm only using a Tamron 70-300 lens with a macro function aswell. I heard its not the best lens, just got all excited when I was in Jessops.

So even though I'm at F22 there is still going to be a shallow DOF due to my zoom?

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
could you not step back like said ^^ to get a better focus and then crop the bowl out using photoshop ?

Didn't think of that, as I just edited and added, I thought because I was at F22 I'd be ok with the DOF. Still alot of learning to do I think.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Depth of field is effected by F No/Focal length/ distance to subject.
so by you pulling back slightly you will increase your DOF.
Try to use a slightly bigger bowl

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
In the top image is the drop on the way up....as there is a slight blur below?

I think it may be two drops. 1 has already hit the second is on its way down:S

I used a thicker paint for the orange shots.

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
Depth of field is effected by F No/Focal length/ distance to subject.
so by you pulling back slightly you will increase your DOF.
Try to use a slightly bigger bowl

OK excellent, didn't realise it wa a combination of the 3, I thought F stop number was the only thing. I did have the camera as close as it would focus. Time to get a bigger kitchen, I think 30 foot should do it:)

LY 182 FF CUPPED
ok next you will the need to factor in INVERSE SQUARE LAW....I.e flash output level.

If you double your distance from your subject you will need 4 x the amount of light???

confused yet??? lol

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
Confused!!!

Flashes were m next question.......

This macro lark is really getting to me so I'm going to get a macro lens. What am I going to need flash wise as with my little knowledge understand that the built in flash won't be good enough. What do I need and what does it cost??

LY 182 FF CUPPED
If you don't already own a dedicated powerflash, then I would strongly advise one.

As for makes and prices ...its all down to budget.
You are looking for one that gives you full MANUAL/TTL control.
Metz/Canon will obviously be the best for you.
I think your droplets are suffering because of this.
Alo before you go feet first into MACRO ....this will have huge effects over DEPTH OF FIELD also.
MACRO"S are notorious for having very Small DOF.
Your first stop should be a Flashgun imho

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
I was thinking of something like the Canon speedlite 430x or whatever it is called.

Like you said I don't want to jump right in and waste a couple of hundred and find I need alot more.

Its amazing how much this photography can cost, I thought 400 notes would be enough!!!

RS 172
Ring flashes are good for macro shots. Good shots btw mate, would like to get a macro and wide angle lense myself, but funds don not permit :D.

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
I've read about ring flashes but they are limited to Macro photos?? couldn't justify affording that, I'm on a budget like you mate and taking photos isn't cheap as I now know.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
get a flashgun and an off camera cable.
A cable will give you the flexibility to use some different lighting techniques.
I use flash for almost everything I do ,apart from landscape stuff.
Its an excellent tool for daytime portraits.