ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water marks on the roof...any one having the same problem

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Noticed I had water marks on my roof and bonnet the other day so went to wipe them off but it wont come off. It is as if somone has lacqured the water marks in. Polished it a bit and they did start to come out. Then one burst of rain and then it dried up and within 10mins the marks were there and you cannot remove them with a simple wipe.

is this a common problem with the Titanium colour? Oh and it's only on the flat panels like the roof and bonnet and not on the doors.

Brother has a machine polisher so was going to spend an afternoon using that to remove all the polish and wax and take it back to paint and then start again. Or any other suggestions?

Annoyingly I cannot get a picture to show of it as the glare masks the spots up.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Ok, so now I have a picture (and remebered I posted about this!)
IMG_1017_zpswpoisivo.gif

I have machine polished the roof and bonnet and it does nothing to these marks. I think the ones of the roof have changed, like they just fade away naturally and then when the car gets wet and then stands in the sun the water marks get "burnt" to the paint work, like after the rain. They don't polish out or anything. Roof is worse than the bonnet.

It is just annoying me and sort of lets the overall look of the car down when you get close to it.

Tempted to remove all the wax/cleaning stuff on it and take it back to just the paint and lacquer and start again.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Never heard of that before, and I had a titanium for 4 years - you sure it's just water on it?
Yep, as it was ok before a shower, then 10mins later after eating lunch went out to it and then it was like the photo. Same the other day when I came out of work when it had been raining int he day. As I said its only the roof and bonnet that are affected, the doors/sides/boot are unaffected.

Even my brother was shocked after using the polisher and some quite abrasive polish (apparently) it didn't shift it.

I am personally seeing this as an excuse to either get the roof done black.....or.....a full re-srpay.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Dont wrap it

They look s**t

Sure it can be sorted or absolute worse respray

I dont think you have ever seen a wrapped car.

I want to see the proof that wraps are S**T please.

Oh wait....

Last edited:
  Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Pmsl seen plenty...

I think they look tacky
20150331_171805_zps5rbee12b.jpg

Orly?
if you think it looks "tacky" then something is wrong with you imo

A decent wrap looks like a car is painted... Unless you have in mind the Decals and the like?

Reactions: Gus

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
When you say it's been polished - what exactly were you using to do this..

Hopefully not something like AG Super Resin "Polish" but something with more of a bite !

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
See if you can get some 3M polish, and have a go with a DA. Should remove them perm.
Wax is right after should protect it.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
LOL at wrapping it being the best option.

Strip off all the protection and use a decent cutting compound on a machine polisher. Looking at the pic, I'd say you should be able to get rid of them marks. If worst comes to worst, wet sanding should get rid but you need someone who knows what they're doing.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP

Strip off all the protection and use a decent cutting compound on a machine polisher. Looking at the pic, I'd say you should be able to get rid of them marks. If worst comes to worst, wet sanding should get rid but you need someone who knows what they're doing.
No one said it was....

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
My god you do come out with some s**t.
Piss off, He said it may be an excuse to have it redone in black or resprayed and i said "wrap it" Cheaper than paint and would look fine. Was a perfectly decent suggestion.

Not my fault you bunch of tofts decided to go all high and mighty and jump down my throat.
Prats

Eh? What?

Do you want to hear a joke? Why did the ...........

Hello my name is Addicted, do you want to hear a joke? Why did the ......
I'm already viewing the words of 3 jokes. No need to tell me of more :wink:

This isn't a thread about wraps, back to the topic please
I did, These others decided to derail it.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Yeah, but we're not going high and mighty - wrapping does not fix paint it just masks it, and likely will be worse once the wrap is off.
I understand that dude, I was just suggesting it as a way.
Its a perfectly good option before having a respray.

But anyway, As i said like you all did, a decent Compound and a DA will see that gone and some decent wax to seal it. Will look mint again

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
When you say it's been polished - what exactly were you using to do this..

Hopefully not something like AG Super Resin "Polish" but something with more of a bite !

I am not sure what the polish was, I asked my brother (who is into the car detailing thing) I want to remove the protection I have put on and whatever else is on there, and he whacked out two bottles of different grades. We did a coarse one first and then a finer one. The ammount of crap that came off it was amazing, it sort of ruined his machine polish pad, whoops! It was more of a cutting compound than a polish. Then put on a coat of wax after to protect it. It may need doing again with an even coarse compound, but I don't want to be going too far with it incase I take paint off. The sanding option won't be done by me!!!! i will get someone who knows what they are doing as I am not risking it

I would rather buy a Ph2 than wrap my roof, thanks for the option but I was after something a bit more permanent than just a wrap. Re-spray, even in black, is the last resort, but I am going to get my bumper done in the next month or so, so I may get the roof and bonnet done at the same time. I only thought black as I haven't seen one with a black roof, and then I saw one in the Ph1 Appreciation thread so I thought it isn't that original.

2002 clio 172
If this was mine id be stripping off all protection and try again with a dif set of products......ive seen this on my dads wee hyundai matrix and giving it a good detailing sorted it right out