ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

water pump went POOOF!

Clio RT
my water pump has been broken for a few weeks but i got told as long as i kept on top of the coolant level it should run okay. pulled up at some traffic lights today and a sh*t load of steam came out the bonnet, filled my coolant back up asap and 2 litres of coolant escaped through the water pump within 15 seconds. how much am i looking at for getting a new pump and where can i get it fast.
p.s. just curious but does a broken water pump increase the noise inside of the car cause it feels like im flying at 40,000 feet in an airoplane everytime i drive it.. cheers

Water Pump around £150 - 200 to fit and parts

I'd also do the cam belt while your in there, Most garages should tell you this.

When water pumps leak its normally just the seal so wouldn't make no noise,
I would say the noise was a wheel bearing

Clio RT
Water Pump around £150 - 200 to fit and parts

I'd also do the cam belt while your in there, Most garages should tell you this.

When water pumps leak its normally just the seal so wouldn't make no noise,
I would say the noise was a wheel bearing

i got quoted £150 to get a water pump and a timing belt fitted as long as i supplied the parts. and the guy at the garage said they make a load of noise if broken. but if it isnt the pump, how will i go about finding out what the noise is, and whats the costs?

i got quoted £150 to get a water pump and a timing belt fitted as long as i supplied the parts. and the guy at the garage said they make a load of noise if broken. but if it isnt the pump, how will i go about finding out what the noise is, and whats the costs?

As you was still driving the car and the water was still getting pumped i wouldn't of thought the pump was fucked.
Does the noise change in loudness when turning right and left. ?

Clio RT
it varys really, cant say ive noticed differences in turning but i know that it makes alot more noise when its in gear, and when its in neutral while moving its not as noisey. i dunno, i dont want to spend loads of money getting my wheels inspected and whatnot if it isnt gonna sort it..

it varys really, cant say ive noticed differences in turning but i know that it makes alot more noise when its in gear, and when its in neutral while moving its not as noisey. i dunno, i dont want to spend loads of money getting my wheels inspected and whatnot if it isnt gonna sort it..

Get your pump done as you have to. Then if the noise is still there start another thread and you'll get more help :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
so you were told you had a faulty pump... and you carried on driving it??

do you realise how bad that is?? and seeing as you now have some noise inside?? if i were you i would be praying you havent warped or cracked the head!!! or anything else!

a garage shouldnt of told you to carry on driving! within all seriousness you could have seriously fucked your engine!

cant remember what they are like on clio's some cars they are just run off an aux belt... so they are easy to do, but if it runs off your cam belt its a harder job.

^^ It is run off the timing belt so its a little bit harder then the Aux ran ones but still not 'Too' hard.

Clio RT
yea i kept on top of the coolant, it was only if i didnt fill it up and it ran dry that i'd of cracked the head. so it should be okay i think, but im not a mechanic so ya know.

RB 182 cup
id be careful driving it as the water pump is run off the timing belt and if the bearing collapses then the belt can come off leading to valves meeting pistons