ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water spots

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Got them all over the windows on the dc5, must have been burnt on during the import process.

Bought a sample of car chem's glass cleaner and it's done f**k all, not even touched them.

What's next, white vinegar? Or is there some other product that's stronger?

330i. E30 Touring.
I'd try something like petrol/white spirit on a rag, avoiding the rubbers.

Failing that, clay bar possibly?!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Carpro sell a dedicated water spot remover. To work they need to be acid based so make sure you give it a good clean afterwards.

Alternatively a proper glass polish rather than cleaner is another option. Carpro ceriglass kit has worked well on stubborn marks

Car
Glass polish or car pro spotless

Never let water dry on and be thankful it's just the glass and not the paint too

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Glass polish or car pro spotless

Never let water dry on and be thankful it's just the glass and not the paint too

It was some time during the import process, was like that when I bought it!

Will have a look at the options over the weekend.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Water spotting on glass is a funny thing... rain can etch glass but not paintwork... always confused me.

Things like baking soda mixtures and also vinegar work.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Tried white vinegar this morning and didn't take a single mark off! Ordered a clay and ceriglass kit, surely that must do something.

If not they'll have to be polished.
Is polishing glass dodgy @gally ?

Also heard about ultra fine wire wool, bit scared at the prospect of that though.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Ceriglass is a glass polish, can be used by hand or machine, but machine requires special pads as generic foam pads won't work with it.

The water spots are an alkali based mineral within the water that has dried. Hence why most cleaners or recommendations are acidic. But you need to allow the wetting affect of the area to get the acid to fully neutralise what is there. The. The worst can be removed. If after that there is still an etching into the base panel or glass it will need polishing out

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Thought I'd update.

Bought a ceriglass kit and it works really well with a bit of elbow grease! :D