ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Websites soon to be forced to identify trolls?

Websites will soon to be forced to identify people who have posted defamatory messages online.
New government proposals say victims have a right to know who is behind malicious messages without the need for costly legal battles.
The powers will be balanced by measures to prevent false claims in order to get material removed.
Last week, a British woman won a court order forcing Facebook to identify users who had harassed her.
Nicola Brookes had been falsely branded a paedophile and drug dealer by users - known as trolls - on Facebook.
Facebook, which did not contest the order, will now reveal the IP addresses of people who had abused her so she can prosecute them.
The new powers, to be added to the Defamation Bill, will make this process far less time-consuming and costly, the government said.
Complying with requests would afford the website greater protection from being sued in the event of a defamation claim.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18404621

What do you think to this? I think it's a bit overkill to be honest, especially as I am partial to a bit of trolling.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Not a bad thing to be honest. Can't imagine it would affect internet forums since there's an element of anonymity and nothing can really be personal. But on the networking sites especially with children this can be a problem. It would be a sad day for civilization that an adult gets prosecuted for 'trolling'.

Not a bad thing to be honest. Can't imagine it would affect internet forums since there's an element of anonymity and nothing can really be personal. But on the networking sites especially with children this can be a problem. It would be a sad day for civilization that an adult gets prosecuted for 'trolling'.

There have been quite a few already.

People like mentioned above need revealing tbh! Comments like that to distressed families could cause some people to go over the edge possibly. See how cool and hard they look in front of a judge rather than being a keyboard warrior

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Aimed at 4chan types more than here, although there's few examples on here who fit IMO (but the number is in single figures)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Isn't it depressing when you go to reply to a thread and find out that what you were going to say has been said by various people?

I hope this goes through, I can't see why anyone would want to protect people who behave like that.