ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weight loss

I have just bought a light weight battery and did a few power to weight ratio calcs to work out gains. Yes, I am a boring b*****d.

clio 182 FF weight = 1080kg taken from EVO
power to weight 178/1.08 = 164.8bhp/ton

new battery 6kg, old approx 15kg so 9 kg saving, not much then.
new power to weight ratio = 178/1.071 = 166.2
to gain that in bhp = 166.2 x 1.08 = 179.5bhp so equivalent to 1.5bhp gain

This is a very small unoticeable gain but when you think about how many people spend £200 + on an air filter for a +/-2bhp (not a guaranteed gain like the battery) an £80 light weight battery seems good value.

So if you havent fell asleep yet, lol. I have not really tried to lose weight off my car but here are the savings (approx figures)

seat = -15kg
battery = -9kg
SS exhaust = -5kg
standard air box, change steering wheel, acoustic valve = -2kg

So my 1080 car is now a 1049kg car
which means
205/1.049 = 195.4bhp/ton
so
195.4 x 1.08 = 211bhp

31kg's less is equivalent to 6bhp gain which when you consider how much these engines cost to tune is pretty good.

So the point is forget your air filters and remaps until you have lost some weight.

Or you could just buy a cup...

Audi TT 225 Quattro
where do you buy the batterys from, my cars going on abit of a diet aswell...

BLUNTY said:

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 205
Weight without Driver (KG) : 1049
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 198.56
0 - 60 (Secs) : 5.72
0 - 100 (Secs) : 14.23
60 - 100 (Secs) : 8.51
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 14.12
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 99.59
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.92
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 101.39

my calcs are slightly wrong because 1000 kg. =. 0.9842 ton

Lux'd Glacier White R26
^^ Rapid then! Stripping weight is the cheapest way to go faster!

How about a cabon bonnet now, and some lighter wheels? 15-20 kg to be lost there?

Tyson.

clio 200 F4Rt
does anyone do a carbon bonnet that is actually lighter than standard, ie a full fibreglass or carbon subframe with carbon skin, not just bonded over a standard bonnet?

weight loss is always a winner. and there is so much you can remove. sound deadening under the bonnet, fog lamps etc etc, then just go mental, remove all sound deadening, carpets, door cards, roof lining etc etc!

like i did in my old track day saxo....

122_2291vi-vi.jpg

122_2290vi-vi.jpg

IMG_8137vi-vi.jpg

Renaultsport 220T
Do you not have speedlines fitted Mark?

There's another weight saving over the standard heavy cup wheels?

sm_wrc said:
Do you not have speedlines fitted Mark?

There's another weight saving over the standard heavy cup wheels?

ITBs next.

I wonder if they save weight, lol.

I was going to buy some Trophy wheels a couple of weeks ago but I was a bit short of cash so didnt bother. There on the list though

clio 200 F4Rt
RossM - yeah last pic is from Kames last year, first two are from FCS.

MarkM - you want some nice leightweight 4 Pots!

fmp_ said:
RossM - yeah last pic is from Kames last year, first two are from FCS.

MarkM - you want some nice leightweight 4 Pots!

I want throttle bodies more.

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 225
Weight without Driver (KG) : 1049
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 217.93
0 - 60 (Secs) : 5.38
0 - 100 (Secs) : 13.08
60 - 100 (Secs) : 7.69
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.76
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 102.57
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.56
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 104.43

Are your 4 pots ready yet?

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
BLUNTY said:

This is apparently what my S4 should do....

Power at Flywheel : 379Bhp

Weight without driver : 1550Kgs

Power to Weight Ratio : 248.44 bhp per ton

0-60 : 4.22secs

0-100 : 10.52secs

Quarter Mile : 12.84secs

Terminal Speed : 110.45Mph

Drag Strip Quarter Mile : 12.44secs

Drag Strip Terminal Speed : 114.06mph

I think 0-60 is a little optimistic although it is supposed to do it in around 4.5secs.

Last edited:
  M2 Competition
fmp_ said:
weight loss is always a winner. and there is so much you can remove. sound deadening under the bonnet, fog lamps etc etc, then just go mental, remove all sound deadening, carpets, door cards, roof lining etc etc!

like i did in my old track day saxo....

That cars gorgeous mate, seen pics of it on the site :)

Does removing the fogs make much weight difference? I never use mine anyway!

Anybody make any doorcards that can accomodate the window switches/ door handles?

i have removed spare wheel and all crap in the boot including carpets etc have light weight 15 inch wheels on and a stainless system but unfortunately i am still a fat b*****d lol i would like to take more out but like the luxurys

clio 200 F4Rt
peperami - thanks! unfortunatly its no longer about.

as for the fog lamsps, one of mine was cracked, and i never used em, so got rid. they dont weigh much, but every little helps!

no door cards availalbe that i know of.

MarkM - had the protoypes through yesterday, just taking some pics and will put a post up!

VaVa
Put a crack in your windscreen. Pay the £50 or whatever to your insurance and ask the windscreen company for a Clio 172 Cup windscreen. Thinner so lighter and no UV protection so you can get a signal on your sat nav without an aerial. lol.

Nissan 350Z
MarkM said:
I have just bought a light weight battery

Another benefit that hasnt quite been discussed with this is the fact that you remove weight from the front end, which in turn, theoretically makes the car more balanced too. Ideally you would have 50/50 weight distibution, although in reality thats probably not going to be easy to achieve in a clio with a big engine.

Ever thought about removing the engine cover?

M2 Competition
pbirkett said:
Another benefit that hasnt quite been discussed with this is the fact that you remove weight from the front end, which in turn, theoretically makes the car more balanced too. Ideally you would have 50/50 weight distibution, although in reality thats probably not going to be easy to achieve in a clio with a big engine.

Ever thought about removing the engine cover?

I was thinking that with the fogs too...

With no back seats, the car is very front heavy at the moment, the rear weighs nothing.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
What about only half filling the tank? Surely that'll make a noticeable weight difference, about 20kgs or so.....

Downside is back end will become even lighter....

ph1 172
Any weight that you remove from a rotating component (wheels) is even more significant in lower gears. I read somewhere that removing 1kg of weight from your wheels is like removing 12Kg of ballast in first gear less in 2nd less in 3rd etc.
Its less for your engine to have to spin up.

It also has the same effect on braking. Your brakes dont have to contend with the gyroscopic effect of your wheels

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
his battery is already in the boot, its not as tricky as some might think. probably done as much as you can if you use your car day to day, eg family. if you do a lot of trackdays/sprints then strip it but otherwise whats the point. windscreen as said is a small option? & wheels. mines a full fat, got lighter wheels, moved the batt', binned the spare & one foglight (caf), im keeping the rest as i like my comfort. all i need are some lightweight 4 pots...

Clio 182
If you wanted lightness, should have bought a mk1! ;)

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 181
Weight without Driver (KG) : 870
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 211.39
0 - 60 (Secs) : 5.53
0 - 100 (Secs) : 13.966
0 - 100 (Secs) : 8.43
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.95
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 99.96
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.75
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 101.78

Still a few bits of sound deadning to come out, fibreglass bonnet to go on, battry to move to boot etc...

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
MarkM I've enquired about these batteries in the past but have been told they will not be suitable for a day to day car...any problems? The 182 has an awful lot of electric toys...

i just used letstorquebhp and would you belive it -
Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 171
Weight without Driver (KG) : 900
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 193.05
0 - 60 (Secs) : 5.88
0 - 100 (Secs) : 15.08
60 - 100 (Secs) : 9.20
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 14.31
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 97.40
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 14.11
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 99.16

my best 0-60 has been 5.88
and my best 1/4 is 14.3

im not to sure on the wieght of my car though..

Notorious said:
MarkM I've enquired about these batteries in the past but have been told they will not be suitable for a day to day car...any problems? The 182 has an awful lot of electric toys...

Ross has one on his car I pm'd him before I ordered it he hasnt had any problems.

Well its on the car and it has started it I will let you know.