ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weld in cat

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Has anyone ever used one of these on a 1*2? Due to the scarcity of 172 sports cats I was thinking of getting one off Ebay to weld in to a decat.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Not being impatient...ok I am! Has any one any experience of these and whether they will get through more than just the first MOT?

Craigy69k

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 182 FF
That is exactly the one I have welded in to my clio, not had an mot yet sorry but otherwise running okay and EML off from lambda sensors. Would be interested to know if anyone had passed MOT with this too

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I’ve got a decat and asked a local exhaust fabricator if they could cut my decat and weld in some V band flanges on the section cut out and onto the new cat so that I can simply swap them in and out come MOT time. My local tester is very good and haven’t had issues yet but only a matter of time

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I just thought a 200 cell would be the way to go for less restriction

Well, I’ll let you know today (as I’m going to fit one to mine) and I’ll MOT it tomorrow too.

My car is the perfect test for this conundrum. It makes 185 (dyno) on various mods and has a straight through exhaust currently. I’ve never known the car any other way.

Everyone says a cat makes no performance restriction on these cars from what I’ve read. I’m very sensitive to power/feel changes & will report back.

I’ll be annoyed if it loses the low down grunt the car has that’s for sure.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Well, I’ll let you know today (as I’m going to fit one to mine) and I’ll MOT it tomorrow too.

My car is the perfect test for this conundrum. It makes 185 (dyno) on various mods and has a straight through exhaust currently. I’ve never known the car any other way.

Everyone says a cat makes no performance restriction on these cars from what I’ve read. I’m very sensitive to power/feel changes & will report back.

I’ll be annoyed if it loses the low down grunt the car has that’s for sure.
The verdict is?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I got a magnaflow cat, breezed through first MOT, scraped through second time.

If you're keeping one of these cars long term, you'd be bonkers to replace the efficiency of the OEM cat.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
The verdict is?

Sorry, only drove about a mile or so back home as my head’s been pounding. Almost abandoned fitting but.. MOT tomorrow.

Honestly though (from the brief drive) I’d say below 2krpm it feels a bit more Wooly, not as crisp & snappy.

Best bit about this car is how different it is to my stock car, even from 1500rpm you can snap the throttle and it reacts & at 1800rpm it felt good but now it’s ever so slightly blunted it to the point you don’t want to let it drop that low in the revs (I never would in my stock car). That might sound an odd way to drive it but this car seems really torquey at low revs and I find myself always poking the throttle at 1800rpm as it reminds me of my old 205, it’s nothing like my stock car.

Once it’s got past that initial response part I didn’t really notice any difference in the mid range and as yet I haven’t revved it.

I’ll report back when I’ve had a proper drive.

It’s not much quieter though (sadly)

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I cant wait to get my resonated centre section on to (hopefully) lower the low revs drone. I'm half thinking of keeping my original can on for now, I cant see anyone theiving it around here😬

Craigy69k

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 182 FF
For what it's worth the cheap sports cat quieted down my unresonated ktec a lot, nice tone now compared to before so not bothered with adding silencer back in.

Good luck with the MOT tomorrow @jameswrx , if yours passes emissions with that cat that's good as mines due this month too, one less thing to worry about

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I've had a magnaflow fitted to my 182 decat pipe earlier this year. Passed the not fine in September. The year before the same tester said it only scrapped a pass with the original cat in place.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
For what it's worth the cheap sports cat quieted down my unresonated ktec a lot, nice tone now compared to before so not bothered with adding silencer back in.

Good luck with the MOT tomorrow @jameswrx , if yours passes emissions with that cat that's good as mines due this month too, one less thing to worry about

It may well be better for noise on the motorway etc, need to get some more seat time as felt like crap today so couldn’t do it.

Did manage to also bin the LED fog lights for OE and bin the black painted grill for OE. Was quite satisfying snapping that up and stuffing it in the bin.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I suppose the question is, for how many years will they get through an MOT

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I suppose the question is, for how many years will they get through an MOT

Here are some actual numbers for comparison.

OEM 182 Cat:

Screenshot_20201213-134817.jpg

Brand new magnaflow cat -

Screenshot_20201213-134822.jpg

Fast idle CO Level: 191% increase.

Fast idle HC Level: 98% increase.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I got a magnaflow cat, breezed through first MOT, scraped through second time.

If you're keeping one of these cars long term, you'd be bonkers to replace the efficiency of the OEM cat.
I see what your saying but I was assuming that at 20 years old my original cat is probably not long for this world...that and the £500 that's being dangled in front of me to sell it for scrap😆

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I see what your saying but I was assuming that at 20 years old my original cat is probably not long for this world...that and the £500 that's being dangled in front of me to sell it for scrap😆
I only switched mine as the material inside became loose and rattled around. Bit annoying.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Sorry revive an old thread again! So I replaced my eBay CAT recently with a second hand replacement weld in (magnaflow) item, which basically failed every part of the Emissions testing. Has anyone found any better, longer lasting alternatives. I would happily buy an OEM 182 CAT second hand, for the current scrap value. The issue I have is they are coming on for 20 years old. So how much longer are they going to be good for? Are there better quality 200 cell weld in options in the market? Pretty sure this is going to become more of a problem for Clio owners soon, who have seen the £££ and sold their OEM CATS

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry revive an old thread again! So I replaced my eBay CAT recently with a second hand replacement weld in (magnaflow) item, which basically failed every part of the Emissions testing. Has anyone found any better, longer lasting alternatives. I would happily buy an OEM 182 CAT second hand, for the current scrap value. The issue I have is they are coming on for 20 years old. So how much longer are they going to be good for? Are there better quality 200 cell weld in options in the market? Pretty sure this is going to become more of a problem for Clio owners soon, who have seen the £££ and sold their OEM CATS
Have a look at the Jetex cats Davaruss:

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks mate, I have emailed them for thoughts. Their 200 cell weld in 4.5” CAT may do the trick. But I want something that is going to last and I don’t see many putting their money where their mouth is! KTEC are a joke! They offer 6 months warranty!
Yes I've often thought this in the past about the sports cats (ie, they are mostly empty). I believe Jetex also do a type approved version which I hope means they are better quality than the regular China cats!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I sold my cat as I couldn't turn down £450 so will likely have the same problem come MOT time 😅

I've the dimensions of the decat pipe on my laptop you want me to send them over? Might be worth just getting a full custom one welded up with a genuine non renault cat.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I sold my cat as I couldn't turn down £450 so will likely have the same problem come MOT time 😅

I've the dimensions of the decat pipe on my laptop you want me to send them over? Might be worth just getting a full custom one welded up with a genuine non renault cat.
I ve emailed them to ask for more details Louis, I’ll share the details with what I get back. I have a weld in CAT at the moment and it’s not good enough for MoT. So I’m on the hunt for better options. I’d buy an OE cat for scrap value if it wasn’t for them being 18 years old!