ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Welding in a rear strut brace

clio 172 cup
I want a proper strut brace in the rear of my cup as the OMP one I had did sweet fa. Where abouts on the rear struts should it be welded, right at the top? Will a scaffold pole be upto the job? Would it be safe to attach harnesses to it?

clio 172 cup
I'm going to get a front strut brace to stiffen the front so thought it best to stiffen the rear. MX5's come standard with a rear brace and they handle pretty well :rasp:

david hodson

ClioSport Club Member
Being a rear beam at the back rear strutbraces do very little , didnt stop me making and fitting one when i had my 172 , and like most mine bolted to the rear dampers

Stagecoach Ticket
doubt a move heavy duty brace will do much more than the omp one tbh and in regards to attaching harness's to it would all depend on how much the brace could take tbh lol i wouldent be trusting a scaffold bar welded to the car to harness me in tbh

clio 172 cup
Being a rear beam at the back rear strutbraces do very little , didnt stop me making and fitting one when i had my 172 mine as most bolted to the rear dampers

I appreciate the ones that bolt onto the top of the rear shocks do nothing that's why I want to weld one inbetween the strut towers themselves.

1.2 clio
doubt a move heavy duty brace will do much more than the omp one tbh and in regards to attaching harness's to it would all depend on how much the brace could take tbh lol i wouldent be trusting a scaffold bar welded to the car to harness me in tbh

totally agree withe the scaffolding bar, wouldnt trust it atal

BMW E30 325iiiiii
if ur wanting some thing stronger to hold ur harness, get some 42mm cold drawn seamless tube, alot stronger and lighter.

pointless welding it in as a strut brace tbh.

clio 172 cup
if ur wanting some thing stronger to hold ur harness, get some 42mm cold drawn seamless tube, alot stronger and lighter.

pointless welding it in as a strut brace tbh.

Really? The front strut brace bolts to the strut towers and plenty of people rave about how good they are, surely attaching one to the rear strut towers will have the same affect no?

Megane 225 F1
Not as such. When you turn into a corner the front of the car will twist whereas the rear will remain planted.

1.2 clio
Really? The front strut brace bolts to the strut towers and plenty of people rave about how good they are, surely attaching one to the rear strut towers will have the same affect no?

not really mate, will give you plenty of 3 wheel action tho