ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Welding tips?

Clio 2.0 16v 182
may be a colossal r****d here so please forgive.

I need to do some welding on the inside of my car. Trouble is I need to take the welding unit in the car with me. So the welding unit and myself will be stood on the metal that I'm welding.

Basically do I need to do anything extra to ground things? I'm using an arc welder.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
All credit for giving it a go yourself, but if you're having to ask these questions maybe you should leave it to someone who knows what they're doing or at least get them to supervise? What are you welding? The welder should have long enough reach to stay outside the car I would have thought - unless you're welding the centre of a limo!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Youl be fine. The welding machine will be insulated and the path to earth will be through the earthing clamp.

I'd be more worried about the heat generated If your close to it

diesel
No problem at all what you welding? I'd stay clear of welding your car with a stick welder unless your competent

I would invest in a Mig welder.
We have had a Clarke Turbo weld 130TE for nearly 20 years here, and it is still going strong. It has welded up a few cars that were completely rotten so has certainly earned its keep.
I am not keen on the no-gas variants. They are ok in some ways, like you don't need to buy gas and the wind doesn't blow the gas away if you are welding outside but the "Flux" inside the wire leaves a residue that has to be chipped off afterwards. And the wire is expensive...

Cup In bits
Remove the + and - to the battery as I have seen people frying ECU's otherwise..... and good luck arc welding sheet metal, let alone a clio which is galvanised.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Not a clio. It used to be a mini bus. But the last owner bolted in some kitchen appliances. And now every single bolt has sheared.