ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Went onto Nova Forum....

Early valvers ive seen are driven by scalleys round here.... ive not seen one tidy example! It was only the other morning infact, i saw a Clio Williams 2 involved in a smash just up from where i live.... all front end a passenger side, scalley got out, tracksuit bottoms, rockports, sad sweat shirt andhis tracky bottoms were tucked in his socks.... anyway when i came out the paper shop the coppers breathalised him, then nicked him!! scalley!!!

MIne is nearly 15 years old....

5GTT are ugly in my eyes, actually there is a very tidy white one round near me i see from time to time... still not my cup of tea im afraid!

I know people who have had renaults and all have had problems with them, they just aint put together very well im afraid.... like i said in my first post I suppose it adds charactor to them.... LOL!! Latesy shape Clios look nice as does the V6, but they are french!! sorry!!

Cheers

Nick

Mate can you do me favour......

Compare the Clio 16v to the Nova GSi (Top of the range aint it?) and tell which is better and why....in terms of build quality, rarity, performance and so on.....

Yes some clios are sh*t but all novas without question are sh*t, they attract young kiddies, who drive around with no insurance and badly fitted body kits! - Generalisation perhaps but mostly true;)

There is no such thing as a two litre nova! It stopped at 1.6!

A 2 litre engine transpanted in a nova is still sh*t you cannot polish a turd!

[Edited by brazo on 01 May 2004 at 9:43pm]

Quote: Originally posted by clean16v on 01 May 2004

transplants mate, 2l novas are very fast in a straight line! 155bhp, 800kg=very fast car!
Im sure it is but its still a nova, oh and you can stick a big engine in any car LOL!

No self respecting car enthusiast would even consider driving a nova, only people interested are the burberry cap brigade

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 01 May 2004

transplants mate, 2l novas are very fast in a straight line! 155bhp, 800kg=very fast car!
Im sure it is but its still a nova, oh and you can stick a big engine in any car LOL!

No self respecting car enthusiast would even consider driving a nova, only people interested are the burberry cap brigade

what? i consider myself to be a car enthusiast, and one car i would love to wn/build is a 2l nova! you can build one for less then 1k and beat the sh*t out of alot of cars! ones that i have raced have been very closely matched, and i know for a fact that my old car could scare much more exotic machinery! A 2l nova, along with an Mi16 pug, 2l vlaver is exactly what being a car enthusiast is about!

Quote: Originally posted by Maxx on 30 April 2004

The novas round where i live suck - ppl round here treat 1.2 novas like supercars until i whip by them in my 1.2 lol
I raced a GSI in my lil 1.2 8v, he won, but not by much, manily on accleleration, and the fact that i know the road really well

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 01 May 2004

what? i consider myself to be a car enthusiast, and one car i would love to wn/build is a 2l nova! you can build one for less then 1k and beat the sh*t out of alot of cars! ones that i have raced have been very closely matched, and i know for a fact that my old car could scare much more exotic machinery! A 2l nova, along with an Mi16 pug, 2l vlaver is exactly what being a car enthusiast is about!
Fair play matey. well said.

As I said no self respecting car enthusiast!

Just because you can put a big engine in a tin box doesnt make it a good car when will you little boys learn that straight line speed isn;t the be all and end all!

what are you on about? you didnt even know 2l novas existed! i assume you have never been in one? im also gonna ssume you have never built your own car? I have done both of these things so im in a position to comment on them! As for "putting a big engine in a tin can" what do you think reno did with the cup? :p the only reason i chose to take the clio route once again for my second project car over a 2l nova was that a clio can corner better, if my only criteria were cost and straight line speed it would be the 2l nova all the way, they cost about a 1/3 what a 2l clio does, and they are just as quick, Plus they have much larger scope for tuning, 6 speed boxes, 2l turbo engines, LSDs, T/Bs, many cam choices as the XE engine is very tuneable! Can i also point out that these "big engined tin cans" are my weekend car, hence why i class myself as a car enthusiast, i dont just own a performance hatch straight off the production line and make comments about cars i have no idea bout! funny thing is brazo, a 2l nova would slap your cup!

Alfa Mito 155TB

Novas = Pikeys...now adays it is safe to assume that if you are a nova driver then probably your family tree does not fork LOL

Put a big engine in a Nova and it can go fastish in a straight line - try making it go round a corner like a sporty clio!

Dont say lower it and shove some springs on as if it was that easy the major car makers would get it right everytime on the handling front - and most dont.

Standard for Standard the Nova is rubbish. It loses on pretty much everything.

Modded for Modded - you will probably never get a Nova to get the road going balance of a Clio - easier to do for track as there are no bumps. Speed wise - it depends what you do and how much you spend so its a poinless argument.

Probably the biggest thing against Novas are the fact you need Neons, Fake Burberry and a Loud stereo - if you have any taste steer clear. You can do the same mods to a Corsa which lets face it hasnt the stigma of the Nova.

Basically you can put a bigger more powerful engine in any car - why do Nova drivers think doing it to theirs makes them superior?

Class thread BTW! first time ive laughed on here in a long long time

ok ok, i forgot how narrow minded people on here can be.........tried to explain myself but we keep going back to novas and burberry caps comments, all that is left to say is i hope you race a 2l nova some time and see for yourselves!

Well Renault already did the big engine transplant for the Clio, the Clio V6, looks and drives better than any Nova me thinks.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

I would have a 2l Nova on throttle bodies.:oops: It may be just a Nova but it would be bloody quick and cheap. Wouldnt handle badly either with correct suspension mods.

Quote: Originally posted by JonC on 02 May 2004

Well Renault already did the big engine transplant for the Clio, the Clio V6, looks and drives better than any Nova me thinks.
comparing a 27k car to a 1k nova, pretty fair comaprison mate. Just for the record, a 2l nova is quicker then a V6 in a straight line......food for thought

TDI tyre shreader

I like novas, have always liked their shape and the arches, but whats this crap about them building well made and better than clios cos they are french?? My first car was a nova and it was a wicked car so forgiving and drove it really hard! but it was anything other than well built, i would bet that novas are on a par if not worse built than a clio, in my nova rust was eating the thing alive the floor pan had big cracks in it the front drivers side turret was coming away from the inner wing and ive never spent so much time pissing around with a cars body work in all my life. i have a 172 and have never had any major problems with it its very well built has no rattles etc and feels better built than my mums new beetle and my dads 850 t5!!! Oh and i bet if i dropped a turbod and noss mi16 motor into my 205 rallye it would waste any nova or clio and handle better than any of them!!! So put your dummies back in :D

Quote: Originally posted by clean16v on 02 May 2004

what are you on about? you didnt even know 2l novas existed! Im sure a 3 litre one exists omsewhere!i assume you have never been in one? Yep im also gonna ssume you have never built your own car? Only a 73 beetle, not built mind you but restored! I have done both of these things so im in a position to comment on them! As for "putting a big engine in a tin can" what do you think reno did with the cup? :p the only reason i chose to take the clio route once again for my second project car over a 2l nova was that a clio can corner better,Youve answerd your own question! if my only criteria were cost and straight line speed it would be the 2l nova all the way, they cost about a 1/3 what a 2l clio does, and they are just as quick, Plus they have much larger scope for tuning, 6 speed boxes, 2l turbo engines, LSDs, T/Bs, many cam choices as the XE engine is very tuneable! What so you cant turbo a clio? Can i also point out that these "big engined tin cans" are my weekend car, Cups my weekend car! hence why i class myself as a car enthusiast, i dont just own a performance hatch straight off the production line and make comments about cars i have no idea bout! funny thing is brazo, a 2l nova would slap your cup! It wouldnt because there is no such thing!
Firstly my sincere apologies for not replying sooner! Busy Sunday!

Secondly have a flick through EVO, it is a car enthusiasts magazine, written by enthusisats for enthusiasts, go to the back pages and they rate every proper performance car. Whilst mostly newer cars are listed, space is given to proper performance cars of old, cars that perhaps are not fast by todays standards but have donated something to the genre!

Fiesta RS Turbos and R5 GTs are listed, fortunatly no Novas are listed. Why is this?

I dont mean to sound patronising but in 5 years time when youve grown out of max power you will laugh at yourself for ever liking a nova!

There are 3 certain things in life birth, death and taxes, oh and growing out of novas.

I am so confident of this I will bet my membership on it, start a poll titled Nova sh*t or good! If the poll comes out in favour of the Nova I will quit this forum and donate 50GBP to Jass club!

not about the nova being sh*t or good mate, and i dont have a passion for them, im just not as quick to overlook them! That is my one and only point, you kids havent given any nova a chance, just jumped straight onto the novas and burberry caps bandwagon. Fair enough tho, if thats how narrow minded you want to be! my point is that a 2l nova is a car for enthusiasts! Still not sure how you can comment on a 2l nova when you havent seen one or been in one! Novas are sh*t, 2l novas are quick sh*t, and for a grand i challenge you to find a car that would be as much fun as a 2l nova

not about the nova being sh*t or good mate, and i dont have a passion for them, im just not as quick to overlook them! That is my one and only point, you kids havent given any nova a chance, just jumped straight onto the novas and burberry caps bandwagon. Fair enough tho, if thats how narrow minded you want to be! my point is that a 2l nova is a car for enthusiasts! Still not sure how you can comment on a 2l nova when you havent seen one or been in one! Novas are sh*t, 2l novas are quick sh*t, and for a grand i challenge you to find a car that would be as much fun as a 2l nova
Clean16V you do make some good comments byt the words enthusiast and Nova should never go in the same sentance . Surely you would agree that a 2 litre engine in a fiat cinqicento (sp) would beat a cup! It just depends how far you want to take your tuning!

Personally I am not narrow minded, if I wanted a cheap car that once its wheels had stopped spinning it could keep up witha scoob in a straight line then perhaps a nova would be an option! But what \ive just descrivbed is a narrow set of paramters.

As Ive said mate, trust me in a few years time you will feel the same

Brazo, to be fair I think your missing the point, 2l Novas dont exist in the same respect 2.0 Valvers technically dont exist. Put the 2l engine in a you have a fast lightweight car. I really dont like Novas, but a clean original looking 2l example I certainly wouldnt look down on it. Also the cost is minimal compared to the Clio, and its understandable why people do it as like Clean16v says, as it will hammer most things and would make a great track day car.

2l engine in cinq=lots of money

2l engine in nova=less then 1k!

You mention a 2l nova spinnning? how would you know? surely the same must apply to all 2l hot hatches? infact any powerful FWD hatch has traction problems. I dont think i will change my mind in a few years, before i was introduced to 2l novas i felt the same way as you do, just wait til you race one. As i ve said before, i do not like novas, i just appreciate what a 2l nova is, and for 1k you will not find as much fun! cant be arsed replying anymore anyway mate, just agree to disagree on this one, you obviously wont budge on your views, fair enough!

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 02 May 2004

Brazo, to be fair I think your missing the point, 2l Novas dont exist in the same respect 2.0 Valvers technically dont exist. Put the 2l engine in a you have a fast lightweight car. I really dont like Novas, but a clean original looking 2l example I certainly wouldnt look down on it. Also the cost is minimal compared to the Clio, and its understandable why people do it as like Clean16v says, as it will hammer most things and would make a great track day car.
Have to give you that one the turn in and handling on those novas is second to none:sick:

2l engine in cinq=lots of money

2l engine in nova=less then 1k!

You mention a 2l nova spinnning? how would you know? surely the same must apply to all 2l hot hatches? infact any powerful FWD hatch has traction problems. I dont think i will change my mind in a few years, before i was introduced to 2l novas i felt the same way as you do, just wait til you race one. As i ve said before, i do not like novas, i just appreciate what a 2l nova is, and for 1k you will not find as much fun! cant be arsed replying anymore anyway mate, just agree to disagree on this one, you obviously wont budge on your views, fair enough!
Fair play to you too!

Quote: Originally posted by JonC on 02 May 2004

comparing a 27k car to a 1k nova, pretty fair comaprison mate. Just for the record, a 2l nova is quicker then a V6 in a straight line......food for thought

I may be comparing a £27K car with a £1k car, but I was merely pointing out that Renault has done a great job of putting a large engine in a hatch. Besides youre comparing modified Novas with standard Clios. Theres more to driving than going in a straight line! Lets face it Novas have never been regarded as great handling cars, which is probably why you only like comparing straight line performance.

theres more to driving in a straight line? what would you know about that? you own a boat on wheels (an estate at that!) how patronising! If you want to get technical and split hairs, you give me 27k and i will build a nova that would blow any V6 into the weeds, corners or not! Yes i do keep comparing modified novas to standard clios, thats cos novas are sh*t standard, and clios are not! and yes i do keep talking about straight line speed, because thats what a 2l nova is good at! Why is this being turned around? If i wanted a 2l nova i would get one, all i am simply trying to do is point out that they are alot faster then most people give them credit for, and that for the amount it costs to build them you simply CAN NOT match them! as an enthusiast, they are certainly up there with Mi16 pugs and 2l clios, simply because the scope for tuning is massive! The nova was the ORIGINAL hothatch that had a cult transplant in the 20XE engine, the clio and Mi16 pugs followed suit (albeit better). rant over, im just trying to open these narrow minds a bit, do you actaully think i give a toss if a 2l nova makes you look a fool? Remember that was the original point of this post all 3 pages ago!

Yes, the A4 estate may be a boat, but then its not supposed to be a hot hatch. I had to sell the 172 out of necessity, try carrying new born twins with the car seats, push chair and all the accessories that come with babies times 2 in a Clio!!:confused: Besides I dont think the babies would appreciate the taught handling and firm ride as much as I did.:cry:

All Ill say is that I have never come across a good example of Nova, but thats not to say they dont exist. You said yourself that youd love to own/build a 2ltr Nova and yet you opted the Clio route as you appreciate theres more to life than driving in a straight line despite all the mods and tunabilty of a Nova. Point is anyone can put a big engine in a small car to make it go fast. But a fast car does not make it good car, especially if its only goes fast in a straight line.;)

Good points Jon C, Whilst we may be narrow minded we arent as narrow as the performance capabilities of a nova with a 2 liltre engine stuck in!

It may be able to keep pace with a 172 in a straight line but thats it!

Std nova = very poor

Highly modified nova = fast, cheap but overall very poor.

Highly modded 172, and the highly modded nova wouldn;t see which way it went!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

i have to admit i always liked the look of novas and wanted one when i was younger but never actually got one, this was when they were still being produced and the image of them wasnt really that bad, more the xr2 s back then. just been reading all the posts on here and today while out in the cup what pulls up next to me was a modified nova with the usual mods, ie 16" soeedlines, big rear spoiler etc and the young guy driving it is hanging out his window at the lights smoking a joint!! i just couldnt drive one now because unfortunatly that is imo what the majority of nova drivers nowadays are, young neds. im not saying they all are, there are some very well sorted novas out there owned im sure by proper enthuisiasts but they are the minority.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by clean16v on 03 May 2004

The nova was the ORIGINAL hothatch that had a cult transplant in the 20XE engine,
What about Fiestas and XR2s? Werent they about before the Nova, just a question, i honestly dont know.

Nah, the Lotus Sunbeam was the original hothatch and was RWD. If only there were more RWD hot hatches on the market.....

Clean 16v.... are you from Stockport ???

My mine is a modified 2.0 16v.... i dont think i ever compared a standard Nova to a clio16v etc..... the only one which may stand a chance is one on Throttle Bodies from SBD.... they have one which develops 230bhp + form a 1.6 16v!!

Someone said novas never looked nice.... mmmmm.....

I get embarrased by the fact my car is a scalleys car..... but when i drive about it gets a hell of alot of looks and respect!! there are quite a few of nova enthusiasts about... Come to Performance Vauxhall Show at Santa Pod JUne 6th, you will be able to see for yourself!! there will be scalley novas,astras,cavaliers etc but there will also be plenty of tidy novas!!

Heres my pics again!

http://www.cls.eclipse.co.uk/Various/Mvc-004ffab.jpg

http://www.cls.eclipse.co.uk/Various/Mvc-005fac.jpghttp://www.cls.eclipse.co.uk/Various/Mvc-005fac.jpg

http://www.cls.eclipse.co.uk/Various/Leather%20Interior_04a.jpg

My mates car..

http://www.cls.eclipse.co.uk/Various/Mvc-352f_01.jpg

http://www.cls.eclipse.co.uk/Various/Mvc-349f_01.jpg

Does this help then....

Dot forget this car is 14 years old!

Cheers

Nick