ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Went through a deep puiddle, car now misfiring and engine light on intermittently

Clio 172 Cup, Volvo
Hi All. A few days ago the entrance to our road had a deep puddle, I had been through it in my Volvo but after the 172 Cup went through it it has started to misfire, I sounds like its constantly on three cyclinders, pop and bang out of the exhaust and the Engine light comes on every once in a while. I thought it might just dry out, but its been 3 days now. I've had the plugs out and WD40 as much as I can see. Any other ideas? Perhaps the sensor on the CAT? Thanks in advance, Steve

Clio 172 Cup, Volvo
Fred sorted it. Just a bad plug lead. I'm not sure if this was caused by the puddle but I suspect yes, all that steam must of damaged one of the leads. Fred has lent me a set untill he gets back from Le Mans. So, symptoms where rough running, sounded like an impreza, ECU light flashing and lack of power. All sorted with one plug lead.

FF Racing Blue 182
I done the same yesterday and on a diagnostic tool it comes up with destructive misfire

does this mean water could have got in and searching was saying new plugs should fix it ?

Destructive misfire literally just means misfire.

Does it smell eggy (assuming you have a cat still fitted) as that's a pretty good indication of if it's fuel or ignition related.

FF Racing Blue 182
I could smell something but egg I'm not so sure i did notice some white steam/smoke coming out from the front wheel arch when i stopped later along the road

I wonder if it could be a loose connection on o2 sensor or something

I had this happen to me the other day after hitting a big puddle right in the kisser. Water in the spark plug holes was the first thing i checked, and they were swimming. Blew them out with compressed air, cleaned the leads and its running fine again.

FF Racing Blue 182
Good idea mate just a Pitty i don't have the tools available

Is it a bad idea to drive it to a garage luckily its just the run around

Depends how bad is it, mine was only in low rev's (~2-3k) & at that point was real bad, i just nursed it to my unit (~20 miles). Aslong as your not too hard on it, i suspect no harm will be done.

Id put money on it being water in the plug well's, <30mins labour for someone whos clued up on F4R to drop the inlet off to check.

Good idea mate just a Pitty i don't have the tools available

Is it a bad idea to drive it to a garage luckily its just the run around