ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Went to view a ph1

Clio 172 ph1
Hi I'm after a ph1 clio,went to view one today the car is up for £1200,
the millage is 125,000 and the belts got changed in 2010 will they need doing again now and do you think that is a reasonable price for the car,cheers guys

Mec 350 slk manual
I would say next year for the cambelt and around £450 for both cambelts & aux belt kit supplied and fitted

Clio 172 ph1
Tried knocking him down and he said no it's cheaper enough at that price,I mentioned it will need the belts doing even no they're not due for another year and he still said no,he wouldn't budge on that price

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Its been for sale for months

Also has a cheap steering wheel replacement non leather.

S

Clio 172 ph1
I no it's been there since November,just think he is one of them type of people who will let it sit on his forecourt for years

clio sport 172
I would give £1200 looks tidy. If it was a members car and all the pictures were taken with a slr it would be £2000.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Seeing as you're the only one that's actually looked at the car, you're the only one who can judge if it's worth that or not.

Clio 172 ph1
Don't get me wrong the condition is good,but the millage is high and the belts will need changing soon,and also the steering wheel is not the original

it was on ebay for weeks at 1490...obviously no one was interested/wanted it for whatever reason and he reduced the price by 200 a couple of weeks ago.

i personally would want the belts done for that price. apart from the steering wheel it looks to be a good example though

mention the fact that it will need belts etc and the steering wheel is not the correct one for that model plus the fact he has had it advertised for ages so the price is a factor...wave a grand in his face with no comebacks....if he still says no...walk away...there will be others.

Mec 350 slk manual
Hi I'm after a ph1 clio,went to view one today the car is up for £1200,
the millage is 125,000 and the belts got changed in 2010 will they need doing again now and do you think that is a reasonable price for the car,cheers guys
Pay to become a member on here and you could pick up a good one in the cars for sale thread

Clio 182 - Mini 1989
One at a dealer near me and hes asking £1595 and its obviously been in a front end at some point and the exhaust is only held on at the manifold

Mec 350 slk manual
I was going to sell mine last week to a guy on here but he decided to pick up a ph 2 and when I look at all the money I have spent on it I glad I still have it.

All depends on how many there are in your area and how far you are prepared to travel. Supply and demand. If this is the only one in a 30 mile radius expect to pay top dollar

Yes I no what you mean,I think I will just wait for a nice ph 1,some think always pops up

It's a pain in the arse when this happens. I payed well over the odds in comparison to the prices most people pay for my ph2 but it was the only one on the area for ages. Now 6 months down the line there are 3 or 4 with lower mileage better service history and lower price :(.

To be honest if I was to buy again I would buy a spares or Repairs with good bodywork as these are easy to work on. I've had to spend over 600 in first 6 months of ownership and that's diy price.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I went to Swindon (5hrs round trip) to look at one, then to Ipswich-ish way (3hrs round trip) before i settled on one that was in Scotland (Flew up there and drove back). Be preprepared to travel if you see a decent one.

PH2 RS172
i messaged him about that one when it was up for 1500. said hed take 14 lowest and that was a while ago. tbh phase 1s are becoming harder to come by and that looks pretty tidy. i think it depends on what you want it for. if its to rag then yes its too much, if its to love and care for and if its as tidy as the pics suggest id get it and pay 500 for the belts. a straight phase 1 with belts done for £1700 would not be ott imo and im sure there are phase 1 owners on here that wouldnt let theirs go for less than 2k if they decided to sell up

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Ive owned my ph1 for just over 4 year's.
I now have an agreed value on it.

I wouldn't let mine go for less than 4k

Clio 172 ph1
Just rang the fella from the garage and he said the best price he could sell it for is £1150 but without and warranty or £1250 with 28 days warranty

mk1 Octavia VRS
Lots of these cars will have had many owners, missing history and accident damage by now. If you can find an honest car in good condition then I would say it may be worth paying slightly over the odds for it. Most of these cars will need money spending (suspension, decent tyres) to get up to an enthusiasts standards and the extra spent on the purchase price could be worth it a few months down the line, if not then it will probably be insignificant compared to what you spend getting it up to scratch anyway.

PH2 RS172
pretty sure that if youve accepted a reduction in price based on the removal of the warranty then youd be kippered on come back. if the dealer has any sense hed put it in writing and get you to sign it beforehand

Clio 172, M3 E46
If it's on a forecourt and he is selling without warranty for a reduced price he simply will put spares or repair on your receipt, that way he is blameless if it goes wrong 5 mins down the road, 1150 for a 2 owner car with a following, snap his hand off!! do the belts and enjoy it while it's on auto trader for £1999, or keep and watch it rise in value.

Clio 172
If you buy a used car from a motor car trader, the MCT Act requires the trader to give a warranty in certain circumstances; this warranty is different from any “extended warranty” that a trader may offer.

If a defect appears during the warranty period, whether or not it existed at the time you took delivery of the used car, the motor car trader will have to repair or make good the defect at their own expense so as to place the car in a reasonable condition having regard to its age.

The warranty applies if the car was manufactured not more than 10 years before the date of sale and has been driven for less than 160,000 km. The warranty period is 5,000 km or three months from when you take delivery of the car, whichever occurs first. Any period during which the trader has the car for the purposes of meeting warranty obligations does not get counted as part of the three-month warranty period.

If you suffer loss as a result of a trader failing to honour the warranty, you may make a claim to the Motor Car Traders’ Guarantee Fund (see below) for compensation (s 76 MCT Act).

No warranty needs to be offered with the car as its passed age and mileage.

Looks clean though. I paid more for my PH2 because i was in a rush, and so far its cost me a pretty penny with more to come with belts being done when i get back off holiday. I would take the punt, it looks smart, the steering wheel isn't a problem, and bodywork looks straight from the photos and the price is nice IMO. Offer him £1050 with Warranty and see what he says.

Jack

PH2 RS172
just spoke to a trader i know. he said that you always have consumer rights regardless, but if youve bought the car under the pretence that it had no warranty, should something go wrong itll be the blood and stone scenario and take ages to get a result (if any) as hes bound to dig his heels in and tell you that you knew the score..... so to otherwise treat it as a private sale and check it over as such