ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Went to view this 172 today BX52 WWU ... (salesmen rant)

http://selectcars.biz/stock/clio_97.htm

Advertised as full service history. Got there and the salesman said it does have 'Full service history' followed by the words 'to 75k' (car is on 85k) so I told him that it's not full service history.

Apparently the belts have been changed as well, so I asked him to back it up with a receipt to which he said 'it has a stamp in the book saying so' however he assured me that they could change the belts (and dephaser pulleys) for me for an extra fee which he said would £250. I pointed out to him that the parts cost pretty much this so how is it possible. Apparently he can get the parts £80 all in off ebay.

Next up the paint work, both wing mirrors were badly damaged, bonnet needed a respray and there was a large scrape on the O/S arch. Hardly perfect condition (as described in the ad and on the phone). However he said the bonnet could be sprayed for £60... Yeah right

He says he deals with these cars all the time and he knows loads about them, I feel sorry for anyone who brought one in the past from him.

To summarize, anyone looking at this car don't bother. They're not willing to shift on the price and it needs a lot of money spent to get it right. Also all of the alloys are curbed. I know it's not expensive but they could have at least described it correctly.

Stupid c**t of a salesman wasting my time. Hopefully I will have more look at the next one I view.

For those easily offended, this is not a dig at salesmen in general. Just this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Cheers for posting this up so others are aware. It's frustrating how some salesman are like this isn't it

Good luck with the rest of your searching :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Went to view this 172 today... (salesmen rant)

Cheers for posting this up so others are aware. It's frustrating how some salesman are like this isn't it

Good luck with the rest of your searching :)

It's okay, saves others going and wasting their time too! Same I have a 4k budget but I can't find a good one that's in a 50 mile radius!

If he struggles to tell the difference between blue and silver what hope is there...

Lol I missed this, what a idiot!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

http://selectcars.biz/stock/clio_97.htm

Advertised as full service history. Got there and the salesman said it does have 'Full service history' followed by the words 'to 75k' (car is on 85k) so I told him that it's not full service history.

Not saying it's a great car or anything but the service is full as it's not due for another 2k (unless it was also over a year ago!).

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Is it just me that thinks that's priced quite well for a dealer and looks quite tidy??

Is it just me that thinks that's priced quite well for a dealer and looks quite tidy??

Maybe...

It appears it has had a respray at front at some point (stickers gone)

Although you are usually pretty sharp when it comes to cars colshey ;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Well you're not because the stickers are there you lunatic!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio

Maybe...

It appears it has had a respray at front at some point (stickers gone)

Although you are usually pretty sharp when it comes to cars colshey ;)

​What you looking at? the stickers are there on my screen!

Audi A5

I think you need to look at sellers like steve@R-sport on here if you want a mint car. These sort of traders are just going to lie to get you to them and try and shift the car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

I think you need to look at sellers like steve@R-sport on here if you want a mint car. These sort of traders are just going to lie to get you to them and try and shift the car.

Agreed, to most normal dealers its just another secondhand car and they know nothing of belts or dephasors in the specific context of these cars.

Pearl Black Ph2 172

That ones been for sale for as long as ive had mine ( at least 2 months or so), I remember seeing the advert.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Move on, there are hundreads of 172's for sale of which people nearly giving them away in far better condition than described above.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member

Shame as it looks mint. Funny how deceiving pictures can be.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i

Should of put the reg number in the title.

I hate the way salesmen pretend to know their stuff and lie to your face. When I was looking at mine the rear discs were rusted as thin as paper and visibly absolutely knackered, the worst discs I've ever seen. Together with this the rear wheel bearings were obviously knackered. The guy tried telling me that the brakes and bearings were totally fine! To top it off, he had just put it through an MOT with these rear discs on with no advisories or anything, clean through!!

Clio Sport 172

Wow nearly went to look at that myself but won the one i've got now on ebay the day before so a lucky escape by the sounds of it

PB Clio 172

Sounds like he knows his Clio's...... not !
Credit to the op not buying the first car you see, can be hard sometimes

PH2 RS172

looks well on the pics but as we all know they can be deceiving! mine was pretty much identical to that (colour..wheels... mileage) when i bought it but i have a receipt for the belts and i got mine for 1500 with pretty much immaculate bodywork. he was a dealer aswell that traded from home... rang him up.. told him as nice as i could put it that if i get there on the train after 5 hours treking and its not as described ill be asking him to pay for the costs.. he said no problem. got there and car was aok bar noisey ps pump :-/ but i swapped that out for 25 quid on a used pump... was worth the small hit when the rest of the cars condition was taken into consideration. otherwise the car was a good as advertised... actually better than i thought tbh. then a 2.5 hour drive home which was awesome!!!! best car ive bought for the money.. ever!

Last edited:
  clio diesel

I also have dealt with this dealer. Car is a wreck. Avoid. Car has been for sale for over 6 months now and if you see it, you can see why.

Renault clio 2005

Looks Good And I don`t see it being overdue for a service tbh. Ok the belts should be done and the dealer should give some discount for that. But tbh You would have a minimum warranty of 3 months so if they do go the dealer would have to sort the engine out for you. The one thing that is bad is the fact dealer has Not had the wheels refurbished but again. He should get that done or offer some kind of discount for that. I have seen worse cars for more money from dealers.

I also have dealt with this dealer. Car is a wreck. Avoid. Car has been for sale for over 6 months now and if you see it, you can see why.

I knew it had been for sale for a while, but not that long!

I have seen a nice 55 plate 182 for sale, however it's a three hour drive but it looks like it's worth it. Luckily this one was only a 10 minute drive from my Grandmas so it wasn't too much hassle. Pictures are very deceiving and you can't even see the paint damage. But it's there.

Thanks Russ for putting the reg in the title!

clio diesel
am pretty sure that when i spoke to the dealer the cambelt was due on age. So its yet another car that is for sale at a seemingly low price because it required a major service cost.

clio diesel
I would be careful with this dealer. I suspect that he has other clio 172s for sale 'privately' on ebay. There are a few for sale in the same location as the dealer and i phoned about one and the guy let slip he was in the business when he said he had got the cambelt done himself at his own garage.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I would never expect an 11 year old car to be 'mint' and as someone else said, the service history is full, at least due to mileage... however it does feel like you've been lied to and I understand the frustration.

​Personally, I usually end up taking risks when buying cars... sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't, but my latest 182 has served me well!

Ahh well, will be the owner of this tomorrow morning :D

iyen2w.jpg

Rover 200 Vi
Ahh well, will be the owner of this tomorrow morning :D

iyen2w.jpg

Nice and bright!

I too have been fed a healthy portion of BS from car dealers. First car (Astra TDi) had 'no faults' but upon inspection its key fob did not work, boot would not open, AC did not work and there was oil in the header tank. No doubt HGF on its way very soon to an unsuspecting buyer.

Next Clio Dci described as 'tidy'. Bonnet looked like it had been sprayed with tins and had obviously had a front ender. Dealer suggested it had had a few stone chips, so was blown over by the last owner. Sunroof poorly sealed with sealant, AC knackered, back quarter resprayed, poor starter and misfired. Needless to say I didn't take this or the Astra for a test drive to discover extra faults! Apparently just flown through its MOT too. Dodgy!

Next a Megane Dci but this is perhaps now getting boring!

Wish I could buy privately but need to use my flexible friend! Might just be able to stretch to this for cash though:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Clio-Sport-172-Tax-Test-History-3-door-/151071614936?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item232c91e7d8

What should I check for in particular?

Renault clio 2005
Only concern would be why was the abs sensor damaged when the wheel bearing was changed? as everyone else will say cambelts But tbh if you can get that for 1100 will be a great car even if you end up spending £500 on it to sort seat out and get belts done and look at the abs sensor. May be something more of a problem than just the sensor. rear shocks are easy to change. I would not go over £1100 for this car. and I would not spend over £500 on getting it to a good standard if there is no other problems. Needs headlight resto and a good detailing session but That can be all done for a reasonable cost. It also looks right and stance looks good.

RB 200
But apparently you don't need to bother with belts because its just a rip of tactic from dealers? right?

the silver on in the OP looks decent, and for £1750 probably isn't too bad its 11 years old?? but again, its usually hard to tell by pictures!! in fairness you'll pay a bit more for something in brilliant condition. glad you've sorted a car though, it looks spot on, I'd always service a pre owned car when I bought it anyway, Never know what oil is in it etc, I sell the stuff every day and its amazing how many people haven't got a clue about oil specs!

If it needs the belts doing, I'd do it, Service it and get Fred to have a look over it to make sure theres nothing needs sorting (if so, sort it) and get it right.

enjoy the new motor