ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wet footwells again!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
This is doing my head in now! Car is parked pointing up hill, after I quick lunchtime investigation it seems water IS getting in through the bulkhead somewhere. All 3 scuttle drains are clear and not losing coolant so in guessing it's getting in through a bulkhead grommet.

Attached a pic of where water is forming.
20200302_142346.jpg

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Has the car ever had a replacement windscreen? I had a leak for ages on one of my old ph1's. Took the dashtop off and water tested it. It was coming in the windscreen seal and running along the back of the dash and dripping into the footwell.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Yes it has, I hope that's not the case although a new screen would be nice. This ones rough already

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
@Stu. I'm not ruling out the windscreen leaking but I've had the dash top off e few times recently and not seen any signs of a leak up there.

Just had another look, I wonder if it's coming through where the heater matrix enters the bulkhead. There is what looks like water track marks on it.
20200302_165610.jpg

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Well it was coming through where I thought, not looked in the scuttle but what I dont get is that the heater matrix enters the footwell below the scuttle so how is water getting in via the scuttle?

Attachments

• received_209015090301343.mp4
    879.9 KB

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Well it was coming through where I thought, not looked in the scuttle but what I dont get is that the heater matrix enters the footwell below the scuttle so how is water getting in via the scuttle?

Dripping down somehow from where the blower motor is inside the scuttle?

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
Tried finding water ingress on mine today and it's getting in on bulkhead possibly the same place as @DomP182, how did you resolve it don't want too yank it and pull it out of heater, but want to o silicone it up if that's the right thing too do?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Tried finding water ingress on mine today and it's getting in on bulkhead possibly the same place as @DomP182, how did you resolve it don't want too yank it and pull it out of heater, but want to o silicone it up if that's the right thing too do?
Start be removing wiper arms, scuttle covers and then strip out the washer bottle, alarm and central heater box. I didnt want to take the whole heater blower out so I maneuvered it so that I could clean off the old foam seal and replaced it. I used black gutter sealant and applied liberal amounts to ensure a seal as I didnt want to be going back in there in a hurry.

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
Start be removing wiper arms, scuttle covers and then strip out the washer bottle, alarm and central heater box. I didnt want to take the whole heater blower out so I maneuvered it so that I could clean off the old foam seal and replaced it. I used black gutter sealant and applied liberal amounts to ensure a seal as I didnt want to be going back in there in a hurry.
No need , just unclipped hoses and took seals off. Loads of access, yeah got some bitumen sealant that's used on caravan windows and stuff like that left over from when I did sunroof cheers for speedy reply though (y)
IMAG0129.jpg

Last edited:

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
That's not the part that leaked on mine, it was the heater box that sits on the base of the scuttle dead centre

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
Well I'm 90% sure that's where it was sprayed with a hose directly and seen it coming in, time will tell

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
That's not the part that leaked on mine, it was the heater box that sits on the base of the scuttle dead centre
How’s this holding up after 6 months? No sign of a wet drivers footwell again?

I’m 99% sure I’ve got the same issue as the scuttle drains are clear and it seems to be coming from the heater vents.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
How’s this holding up after 6 months? No sign of a wet drivers footwell again?

I’m 99% sure I’ve got the same issue as the scuttle drains are clear and it seems to be coming from the heater vents.
No signs of moisture at all mate.....touch wood! It was 100% the centre heater blower seal but not helped by a small sweep from an unsealed passenger door card.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
The thing I hate most is thinking about doing the heater matrix if it goes.

IMG_0260.JPG

I have a wet passenger footwell in the the 197 but with looking at it closely and watching it over a period of time its the door rubber / seal so going to price one up and get it done asap.

Attachments

• IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 39

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
The thing I hate most is thinking about doing the heater matrix if it goes.

View attachment 1507156

I have a wet passenger footwell in the the 197 but with looking at it closely and watching it over a period of time its the door rubber / seal so going to price one up and get it done asap.

That’s some effort there:oops:
I have read about the heater matrix needing replaced if it’s too far gone. No a job I fancy doing in the depths of winter haha.