ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wet footwells

clio sport 172
ok so i,ve taken all seats and carpets out, left the car standing in the rain overnight and the whole floorpan is soaking probably a couple of pints of water at least,it isnt coming in from blocked drainage from under the scuttle panel,I have gone through all the forums to find an answer with no joy, can anyone help the car is a 51 reg 172 thanks

Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique
sunroof! the seal on mine had failed so there was a lot of moisture in the car. i had ice on the inside of all of my windows ffs. i took the roof liner off to find s**t loads of condensation and water droplets along the front of the roof (above the windscreen), not surprisingly it was soaking wet down both a-pillars too. the roof liner itself was of course soaked also! the moisture had worked its way down into the footwell were it collected and i had a friggin puddle in both my footwells!

i took the sunroof off and re-sealed it with weatherproof silicone. put the roof back together again and hey presto ...no more water in the car! the carpets are still a little wet as i havent yet had chance to take them out and squeeze out the excess, but driving around with the heaters on full has helped clear it up some what.

pretty common fault apparently. renault even off a 'fix' for this aswell but they charge stupid money for something that can be done yourself at home in an hour or two for a couple quid! theres a guide on how to take the sunroof off in the guides section on here...

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
sunroof! the seal on mine had failed so there was a lot of moisture in the car. i had ice on the inside of all of my windows ffs. i took the roof liner off to find s**t loads of condensation and water droplets along the front of the roof (above the windscreen), not surprisingly it was soaking wet down both a-pillars too. the roof liner itself was of course soaked also! the moisture had worked its way down into the footwell were it collected and i had a friggin puddle in both my footwells!

i took the sunroof off and re-sealed it with weatherproof silicone. put the roof back together again and hey presto ...no more water in the car! the carpets are still a little wet as i havent yet had chance to take them out and squeeze out the excess, but driving around with the heaters on full has helped clear it up some what.

pretty common fault apparently. renault even off a 'fix' for this aswell but they charge stupid money for something that can be done yourself at home in an hour or two for a couple quid! theres a guide on how to take the sunroof off in the guides section on here...

Its a 172 :(

ph2 clio 172
my old. 1.6 started to do this after autoglass replaced the passenger window. I took the trim off and put it back on with the sticky stuff from renault, no more wet floor. might help if you not checked, or if it not coming from window

182 trackday racer
I have the same problem with a fully stripped car. The sound deadening on behind the dash (where your feets are at) is soaking wet. Seems like its more wet the closer you get to the center console and more on the passanger side (LHD car)
No sun roof and the doors are 100% dry inside (no door cards atm). I also removed the panel under the wipers and its bone dry despite heavy raining the other day.

So I wonder could it be caused by condensation from the AC or is water getting in somewhere?

182 trackday racer
Problem found....

First of all I just bought the car (thats my excuse ;) )

Well the last idiot (renault dealer) to change the heater filter did not care to mount the cap back with the mounting screw... So it came off about 5-10mm causing water to flow from the windscreen and pour in through the hole then beeing pushed by the fan info the heating system.... not good at all.

Blew the aircon radiator free from water and drilled a draining hole in the lowest point of the airbox inside of the car. Draining about one litre of water out of there. Job done.

Clio 172 Cup
Hello I've had exactly the same problem this last week. The passenger side footwell was soaking wet and when I pressed down on it my hand would get submerged with water.

I took up the passenger side carpets and foam dried it all off and had a mate shower the car with a hose and water started coming in from the top of the footwell from what appeared to be behind the glove box.

After a little more inspection, I had taken off the wipers and plastic panel trying to find a hole I found that the screenwash hose runs through the car through the footwell. This had a massive hole in the metal and nothing to spare the rubber hose from rubbing. More inspection showed that there is a little rubber gromit on the inside of the car which had come out of the hole. One awkward body position and more water showed that this was where the problem was. After 20 minutes of pushing with two big flat head screwdrivers I managed to get the gromit back into place. After another water test no more leak! Now I just need to wait for it to rain to see if it's really sorted.

The hose entry hole is located at the top left hand side of the footwell. It's a real b**ch to get underneath to see what you're doing and the gromit isn't exactly easy to push back in but it seems to have sorted the problem. If you can't find it easily detach the screenwash reservoir and you'll see where the hole is. If there isn't a rubber seal that'll be your problem.

I realise this post is going onto a board which is fairly old but I hope it helps some other people with the same issue.

CS2 PH1, Pug S16,
Hello to all.
My ph1 have the same problem.
All left passanger side is wet.
Some body can tell me where on the LHD car can be open hole?