ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What a difference a jack makes.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
After owning a cheapo standard trolley jack for years, the sort halfords or whatever sell as the norm, I finally decided to splash out a bit and buy myself something proper.

After a bit of advice for f0xy etc, I found someone with a cosco card (cheers Tom) and went and got this awesome thing...

photo5-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo4-3.jpg

It's the cosco, new style, Aluminium jack.

Its low entry (at 80mm iirc) and is an all round superb piece of kit.

Even with my rather low car, it made light work of the job and can actually jack from an appropriate point, not to mention the lift range...

photo1-2.jpg

photo2-6.jpg

photo3-5.jpg

This jack has put the car higher than my previous jack, by quite a margin.

I can now actually get under the car to work, and use the full extent of my axle stands, as opposed to getting them on the first rung, at best.

Cheers again Tom.

Oh and before anyone says this is a weird thread, a lot of people wanted to see the jack etc.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Still haven't changed those wheels or text me back.

<3

</3

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Still haven't changed those wheels or text me back.

<3

</3

You haven't text me you wee dancer!!!

The wheels will stay until mid summer, then the standard silver f1's are going on.

The Paradas have so much life left it seems a waste.

nice to see you're keepign my old wheels nice and clean :(

LOL!

They're normally gleaming, but my new house hasn't got a drive so washing it goes out the window.

£86 including VAT.

Bargain if you ask me.

Looking for 182
That jack looks awesome.

What jacking points are you using on the rear for the axle stands? I always use the sills, as I'm not sure what else to use.

monaco 172
i never use the sills as there made of cheese and just bent in.

theres 2 solid bars running down the center of the car, i use those for the front.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
For the back just put the jack under from the back bumper and go off the rear beam, very easy and very sold.

For the front, the chassis rails or the point where the subframe meets the chassis rails.

P.s - someone edited my post and removed a few pics of the jack?

Mk5 golf gti
That jack looks awesome.

What jacking points are you using on the rear for the axle stands? I always use the sills, as I'm not sure what else to use.

axle stands on the sills :dead:

rear beam on rear, subframe on front

86 quid is a good deal for that with the long handle

PH1 V6
Tools are one of those things where its well worth spending the money if you use often enough. Jack looks really good, far better than what i use lol. Its amazing how quickly a set of tools add up £££ wise!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Completely agree, makes jacking the car up so much easier... Can bash the axel stands straight on the 2nd notch and get it up high in one go.

I wanted the 2 tonne jack when I got mine but they didn't have any in stock,so I got the 3 tonne one and it must weigh about 3 tonne its self.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah it is damn heavy gauge, I think they're joking on the box when they say "Ali construction for portability"

The thing weighs a frikken tonne!

Awesome...Although i was hoping it would be cheaper than that! oouch!

I don't think it's a bad price tbh, when you look elsewhere at similar items, it's very cheap.

Thing is, I've had cheap tools (a lot) before, and I've basically replaced every single one of them. Depends how much you use things, but I get the impression I'll have this thing for donkeys years.

Damn I need a proper jack! Just come in the from the garage after using a cheapo halfords one. I have to drive the car on a plank of wood to allow the jack to get under after I fitted my ASTs :(

One day....

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
You get what you pay for.

Buy right, buy once ;)

Re: Pictures .. I think CS is having issues again .. I've noticed that a lot too on my own threads and others. What are the chances of this tag teaming a second identical post too......?

Looking for 182
I am SUCH a r****d. I also have Halfords jack, and to get the front up in the air, I have to jack the car with the one that comes in the boot a bit, then use the trolley jack to do the rest. I didn't even think of driving the car onto something to give extra clearance :eek:

Oh, and I use the subframe (I think that's what it's called) at the front, just never been sure what I can use at the back.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Damn I need a proper jack! Just come in the from the garage after using a cheapo halfords one. I have to drive the car on a plank of wood to allow the jack to get under after I fitted my ASTs :(

One day....

I put off buying this for far too long, go get yourself one, you won't regret it.

You get what you pay for.

Buy right, buy once ;)

Re: Pictures .. I think CS is having issues again .. I've noticed that a lot too on my own threads and others. What are the chances of this tag teaming a second identical post too......?

Too true, it'll be useful this summer.

I am SUCH a r****d. I also have Halfords jack, and to get the front up in the air, I have to jack the car with the one that comes in the boot a bit, then use the trolley jack to do the rest. I didn't even think of driving the car onto something to give extra clearance :eek:

Oh, and I use the subframe (I think that's what it's called) at the front, just never been sure what I can use at the back.

You are a bit special man... get yourself a couple of 2" planks or something and you'll have all the clearance you need. (Personally I do prefer this option though, nice jack, sorted for life). lol

At the rear of the car, just take my advice and go from the back end of the car. Jack straight from the beam, nice and easy.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
That's pretty decent, You'll be inventing reasons to jack your know. If I didn't have a similar one already, i'd get one.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
That's pretty decent, You'll be inventing reasons to jack your know. If I didn't have a similar one already, i'd get one.

Don't worry, I've already got a few reasons to be jacking it up, track time this summer WILL break things... :)

That looks great.

I'm a toolkit and jack away from actually doing stuff to my own car :eek:

Halfords 150pc professional tool kit and this, done.

Working on your own car is so satisfying (as long as it goes right)

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
awseome, been wanting one of these for a while, im a cheap skate tho and never want to part with the money, price aint bad for one of those tho

jamie

Pah. You just can't get the admin staff these days.

£86 is a bit much for the twice a year when I need the thing.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
Yeah but if you can keep it going for at least 43 years, It'll only be a pound a time. Bargain

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Completely agree, makes jacking the car up so much easier... Can bash the axel stands straight on the 2nd notch and get it up high in one go.

I wanted the 2 tonne jack when I got mine but they didn't have any in stock,so I got the 3 tonne one and it must weigh about 3 tonne its self.

I got the 3 tonne one as well, nearly killed me when I was getting it out of the car. Mine seems to be a bit buggered tho (I might just be being thick tho) It has become very stiff to rotate the handle to open and close the seal/valve?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Pah. You just can't get the admin staff these days.

£86 is a bit much for the twice a year when I need the thing.

I thought you were one of the high rollers?

It's worth it just to feel like you're using the best. (Just like an apple product ;) )

Well that's my next investment sorted.

Purely so you can do Dan's too? lol

I got the 3 tonne one as well, nearly killed me when I was getting it out of the car. Mine seems to be a bit buggered tho (I might just be being thick tho) It has become very stiff to rotate the handle to open and close the seal/valve?

I dread to think how heavy the steel one is, this is bad enough!!

With regards to it becoming stiff, take the whole pole out and have a look for anything obvious. Then just lube whatever it could be up.