ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jack, stands

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Whats good these days for jacks and axle stands? Don’t mind spending a bit of money for decent quality kit so not looking at £30 eBay special jacks (unless they’re decent - some hope!)

My t(rusty) old 2 tonne Halfords jack has served me pretty well, but it’s not low entry and is achingly slow to lift. It’s also now making ominous creaking noises. Bought a cheapie Goodyear branded low entry jack about three years ago, barely used the thing and now it’s pissing oil out of the piston so not making that mistake again.

This is just for home/hobby use on standard cars, nothing heavy like massive 4x4s. Definitely want a low entry jack because I’ll be using it on a lowered car. Any recommendations appreciated!

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
I recently purchased a sealey jack off eBay for £95. Seems pretty good so far. As for axle stands I use the Halfords advanced ratchet stands. Were £15 at one point

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
I have one of these and it's awesome and still a novelty using it each time. Very low entry, extends fast and high. Light weight for what it is. The big rubber plate is nice for finding lifting spots too.

Here's a cheaper smaller one for budget sake.

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
CS delivers as usual.... thanks guys.

SGS engineering jacks any good? They seem to have some good deals on at the moment.

Dunno about the jacks, but the tool boxes are pretty decent. Also my air compressor is still going strong.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Costco arcan jack. I know of garages that have used them daily for years. They weigh a ton but you never get the impression they're anything other than very sturdy.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys - much appreciated. I remember hearing good things about the Costco Arcan jack a few years back and it doesn't need to be particularly light as it's for home use. Definitely some options there.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
I'd go aluminium racing style, lighter and if you need to leave it under the car over night it won't go rusty. Just more pricey but you don't seem too concerned about that, will last years anyway.

clio 172
I have 2 jacks,an aluminum motamec 2.5 ton racing jack which is just awesome,lifting so easy and release is so smooth and a sgs low entry 2.5 ton which is twice as heavy,ok at lifting but release is not good,comes down way too fast but hey I guess you get what you pay for

a bit sketchy

Funny that, a few hours later this happened, slid right off the sill and made a f**k off dent, lucky I had the brake lines inside as well. Was on a flat concrete surface, was lowering the car down and it just slid

dent2.png

dent.png

SGS v Draper 2tonne jack stands, Draper wins!

20180412_174102.jpg

I've just replaced these with Silverline 3tonne jobbies at £17 a pair.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000WTHL42/?tag=cliospnet01-21

406 V6, Race Buggy
I've got an SGS jack, it's been a complete piece of crap, it's forever creeping, sometimes it drops, it went back under warranty and came back and was good for a couple of weeks and then back to the same - the bolts all come out because they're not locktited, and the release valve just sheared off it yesterday because it's only dropped on and peened over.
And I got the 2.5t aluminium one, not the cheap ones. Worst jack I ever bought.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I have one of the small ones and it's been fine from SGS.
Probably been used over a 100 times now and not treated very well. I keep it in the house and it's not too heavy or big which is nice

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
My SGS jack is utter crap. It sinks slowly and despite claiming to be a low entry one you still have to drive on to blocks of wood before it will go under the car.