ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What battery?

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
I think my Clio needs a new one.

What do people recommend?

Is it worthwhile buying some form of updated battery? If so then any recommendations?

For a standard ph2 172

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
on my 1.6 16v i uprated it to 075 fitted in the space more powerful and was the same price as an 065.

ALY

Focus RS & Clio 172
If you don't have a huge amps putting a strain on the charge coming from the alternator and drive the car for more than five to ten mins once its been started up most journeys then any run of the mill job would do.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I went for the Platinum Bosch one when my battery died. It doesn't get used regularly so needs a decent battery that will stand being left for days at a time all year round. It has extra warranty as well so it's worth the extra price

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Tonight guys my car started, and sat on idle for no more than 5 minutes before my dash lit up radio off and lights pretty much out.

i switched everything of and then tried to restart, several relays clicking and the lights inside and out were flashing. No kicking into life.

This has now happened 3 times weeks and weeks apart.

Tried jump starting tonight and its just the same.

I guess this suggests I need a new battery?

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
First time when it broke down it restarted the following morning by using a booster pack.
It also placed load on the system and according to the breakdown guy the alternator was working fine and charging at 14.4v.

dont know if that makes a difference or not?

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
14.4v is good so alternator should be fine.

does sound like a dead cell in the battery.

if you order from eurocarparts you can get 30% off with code lastchance30 if its still active

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Great well I shall be ordering one of the above links for delivery today.
I did try that discount code but it said it wasn't available on batteries, will try again or phone them and try to blag some money off.

If there is anything I'm missing then let me know?

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Oooops, turns out that ECP only deliver same day to garages.
Called Unipart and they will have one of their perfectly suitable own branded batteries delivered to me within the hour. Covered for 3 years...

Cant complain for the price and service.

Cheers folks.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Also I guess there is no prep work for a new battery, just plug and play?

Just straight swap

Make sure you have the radio code to hand as it will reset it and ask for it

If its the oem head unit, there are a few people on here that can get you the code from the serial number on it

172 cup
on my 1.6 16v i uprated it to 075 fitted in the space more powerful and was the same price as an 065.

Maybe not 100% relevant to the op. but for people's future reference the 075 will not allow for the ktec style induction kit to fit.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Cheers folks,

Battery arrived by 9:30am and I will be fitting it tonight.

I have the radio code so all is well.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
I have fitted my new battery.

When I tried to start the car it would not come into life, I tried another few times before it did. Is this normal behaviour?
It is working now but I don't know if this points to another issue.
checked with my multimeter and it reads over 12v when off and when idling its at 14.6v.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
so the first few times you turned the key to start nothing happened just dash light up but engine didnt turn over?
did you lock and unlock the car via the key fob before trying to start it? could of been the immobiliser.

would give it a few days to settle if it still causes a problem could be starter motor or faulty ignition switch.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I've said this before on here, but all batteries are the same, the only thing that differs is the length of guarantee, which is what you pay for.

I used to work with one of the big battery suppliers, and there would be regular changes of product depending on demand, so for example, remove all of the premium stickers from the premium range and stick budget stickers on, and vice versa.