ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What Camera... Fuji X100

Not a 320d
Right some bloke on here bought a point and shoot and the photos were awesome. I remember seeing him post some photos of an airport.

I seem to remember it looking quite 'vintage' was it the Fujifilm X100?

Were they any good? Want a point and shoot for holiday but frankly i find carting a dslr about a pain in the arse.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
X100's are £500+ .. the 'S' is around a K, IIRC.

It's not quite a point and shoot though haha... and yes they're bloody immense if you know what you're doing with them.

The 'Vintage' look would more than likely have been added during PP but perhaps it has a Sepia mode .. I'm not sure - I haven't used one properly.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I think the vintage look he's referring to is the body style.

I can't remember who had one though. Not cheap especially for a holiday point and shoot camera imo.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I think the vintage look he's referring to is the body style.

I can't remember who had one though. Not cheap especially for a holiday point and shoot camera imo.

I assumed the photos of the airport were vintage :eek:

Dan Freeman has/had one .. Woody (planetx) too. Still has his ...

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Oh maybe then. Not sure.
Woody doesn't come on anymore does he?
Didn't Brazo get a decent non DSLR?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I'm selling a Fuji X10 on talk photography. That's a good point and shoot.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Oh maybe then. Not sure.
Woody doesn't come on anymore does he?
Didn't Brazo get a decent non DSLR?

Woody has gone deep into enemy territory and is currently on radio silence as far as posting on CS goes :(

Brazo probably just uses an old camera phone but he'll still get silly-good images. I think he's on the 4/3 bandwagon these days ... I want to say Sony [without checking :eek: ]

I got a Sony RX10 which is like a bridge camera, still have my Sony SLT and minolta lens collection!

Not a 320d
X100's are £500+ .. the 'S' is around a K, IIRC.

It's not quite a point and shoot though haha... and yes they're bloody immense if you know what you're doing with them.

The 'Vintage' look would more than likely have been added during PP but perhaps it has a Sepia mode .. I'm not sure - I haven't used one properly.

Thanks people

Yeah I ment the body rather than the images. i just remember the shots being insanely good and thinking it would be a good buy so not to have to cart a dslr about.

GF would be contributing some cash towards it so the total price wouldn't be so bad but you're right its a batty price for a holiday point and shoot. not to say it wouldn't get used elsewhere. I do miss the image quality of the DLSR I had and the point and shoot we have is frankly turd and I miss playing about with all the settings.

The S would be too expensive. £500 I could justify

Are there any other good ones we could look into? Im not after a bridge camera like the SX50 STE Burns suggested. Really find the X100's compact-ness appealing

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I think the OP is talking about Dan Freeman’s work with his X100. IIRC the airport had sort of circular dish things on the roof?

I quite fancy an X100 myself for a small camera to take around but I couldn’t justify it seeing as I could get another DSLR lens for the price of one.

Not a 320d
I think the OP is talking about Dan Freeman’s work with his X100. IIRC the airport had sort of circular dish things on the roof?

I quite fancy an X100 myself for a small camera to take around but I couldn’t justify it seeing as I could get another DSLR lens for the price of one.

Rings a bell actually so does the name. Sure there was a b&w photo with some yellow in it, i think he had just got it and was 'messing about with it' and then not long after posted some shots of a stream perhaps his girlfriend was in the photo as well........ I dont own a DSLR currently but would prefer something like the X100 for size.

The X100 is an awesome camera, a lot of fun to use.

I had one briefly, but I had an X-E1 with a 35mm so it was overkill to have both, a few shots: https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=X100&w=43894860@N00

Any particular reason you got rid of the X100? I take it the X-E1 has changable lenses?

Interesting photos thanks! GT1 is stunning.

RS Megane DCi 175
I have the x100s and got it really as a decent travel camera - which it's great at, so small and light weight. I have hardly used my DSLR since I bought it it's that good.
That said, it does take quite a bit of getting used to - the fixed lens, you do end up having to change the way you take photos. But I always looked at that as a creative challenge. It has a lot of 'Instagram' style filters built-in, which although are fun to play around with at first, I found myself getting a little bored of them. The film effects are much better - I love shooting black & white stuff with the S, it's great! It's also great in low-light (lack of noise at high ISO), but it does work differently to an SLR in very low light situations - i.e. almost darkness and shutter speeds of around 30secs.

The only issue I've had is the buttons on the back stopped working. Ended up going back to Fuji who repaired it and serviced it for free. I haven't heard of this problem from anyone else - so just one of those freak things I suppose.

I'm very much still learning how to get the best from mine, but it's definitely a camera I'd recommend.
My Flickr

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3
I had one too, i'd definately have another. As said the fixed lens makes you work for the image more, but can always during post processing as the IQ is so good.

I also had a Sony RX100 which is another impressive compact.

Not a 320d
Great thanks both. Ill have a look through your flickr Matt.

Had a quick look in a local camera shop and they had the X100 (and also XE1 as mentioned in here somewhere) but the guy was busy so I didnt have a play with it. £600 in store. Bigger than I thought.

Comparing the X100 and X100s. Few minor specs aside, the ISO is a lot higher on the S but the X100 doesnt exactly seem lacking. Would you rather have the S? Seems a little too expensive really.

Not a 320d
Went into a local store again today. £600 for the X100 but supposedly comes with a few bits and pieces (IDK what but no case)

Just looking at the prices of the S....

Why are they showing up as £600-ish ? Am I missing something?!?!?

LINKY TO GOOGLE SHOPPING

I thought these were £1000+

Can anyone recommend a reputable website to purchase please?

If the S is going to be about £600 then Ill go for that instead

Megane RS 275 Trophy
I have an X100s it's an brilliant camera and produces superb images, I have mine set to B&W with +2 contrast +1 sharpening to get the images I want without having to process them.

Love the camera.

14894359903_7b2db64ce9_b.jpg

14588922428_645365595f_b.jpg

14637592525_820357d4c2_b.jpg

14610580166_acf33e12cd_b.jpg

14168804660_308a2cf104_b.jpg

Red Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
Went into a local store again today. £600 for the X100 but supposedly comes with a few bits and pieces (IDK what but no case)

Just looking at the prices of the S....

Why are they showing up as £600-ish ? Am I missing something?!?!?

LINKY TO GOOGLE SHOPPING

I thought these were £1000+

Can anyone recommend a reputable website to purchase please?

If the S is going to be about £600 then Ill go for that instead

The low priced sellers will be grey imports from Hong Kong etc. Read up on what that means and see if it's worth it for the saving. I bought my Canon 7D from DigitalRev in HK, which saved me about £350. That's a second camera though so if I need to send it back overseas for any reason I have my main camera in the meantime.

Not a 320d
The low priced sellers will be grey imports from Hong Kong etc. Read up on what that means and see if it's worth it for the saving. I bought my Canon 7D from DigitalRev in HK, which saved me about £350. That's a second camera though so if I need to send it back overseas for any reason I have my main camera in the meantime.

Right! Ok thats food for thought. Maybe best getting that X100 locally then
Thanks

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I'm considering one as a smaller camera to carry around on a daily basis, just as a bit of fun too as something different. Probably second hand to keep the price down too.

Italian 3.2 V6
Anyone used the fuji x-e1? Would it produce the same quality images as the x100? Or is the IQ better overall on the x100?

Anyone used the fuji x-e1? Would it produce the same quality images as the x100? Or is the IQ better overall on the x100?

Depends which lens you bolt onto the X-E1, but it's very similar to the X100 operationally and a fair bit quicker. The 23mm 1.4 or 35mm 1.4 on the X-E1 is in my opinion a better set-up than an X100 in terms of image quality, but you lose out on silent shooting, built-in ND filter and size.

Italian 3.2 V6
Depends which lens you bolt onto the X-E1, but it's very similar to the X100 operationally and a fair bit quicker. The 23mm 1.4 or 35mm 1.4 on the X-E1 is in my opinion a better set-up than an X100 in terms of image quality, but you lose out on silent shooting, built-in ND filter and size.

Would be looking at the 14mm, 18-55 or 60mm macro & the 55-200mm.

do you have any sample shots handy mate? I read the colours from the xe1 arnt as good, is this correct?