ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What Camera?

clio 1.4 sport
My girlfriends birthday is coming up and as she's always wanted to get into photography i've decided i'd get her an SLR and send her on a photography course. I don't really have any idea on SLRs and was wondering what you'd recommend. I don't wanna buy her a super duper top of the range one yet just want to get one to start her off.

Here we go again!!!!

Nikon
D40 - entry level on a budget - very popular
D50 - entry level 2nd hand budget
D60 - posh version of the D40 with few extra trimmings + can be supplied with 18-55 VR
D70 - Older version of the D80 - 2nd hand again
D80 - One of the best nikons before you get in to serious wedge!

Canon
400d - entry level on slightly high budget - very popular too!
450d - posh version of 400d wih 18-55is lens
40d - getting expensive!

My quick views!

D

dick

nikon d50, d70, d80
canon 400d, 450d, 40d.

wouldnt touch the d40/d60 with a barge pole.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Here we go again!!!!

Nikon
D40 - entry level on a budget - very popular
D50 - entry level 2nd hand budget
D60 - posh version of the D40 with few extra trimmings + can be supplied with 18-55 VR
D70 - Older version of the D80 - 2nd hand again
D80 - One of the best nikons before you get in to serious wedge!

Canon
400d - entry level on slightly high budget - very popular too!
450d - posh version of 400d wih 18-55is lens
40d - getting expensive!

My quick views!

Price has shot down..Around £330 for along with a 18-55mm kit.

clio 1.4 sport
price range around upto around £350 but i dont wanna be silly as it'll be her first one. It's probably gonna be used for scenery shots and maybe a few people shots not 100% really. Sorry to be a total noob

D

dick

wouldnt touch the d40/d60 with a barge pole.

Reasons?

same reasons as always,
no top lcd, no aeb, 3 af points, which just aint enough imo. no dof preview, No AFmotor, makes buying 2ndhand lenses harder and more expensive, though if you stick to hsm its no biggy i suppose.. exopensive doing that though...feels 2 light, strange batteries to the rest of the lineup aparantly too, which pissed my mate off when he upgraded as he had a few batteries.

edit : lol jj... the AF oints dont really bother me, i was just trying to think of reasons to not get it as i just dont like it. clutching at straws tbh,
main things it lacks (in order IMO)
aeb
top lcd
dof preview.

its not just the camera haz, its the system you buy into.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Suzuki Ignis Sport
I'm going to recommend the one i have.

Olympus E-510! Amazing camera! I love it to bits!! Still learning tho

Oil Burner
the 400d gets my recommendation, my first dslr, and its been excellent, i am actually selling mine atm with £375, with kit lense, 90-300 lense, spare battery and all the original parts, bought mid December last year, only taken 10-11k clicks.

The sony Alpha's are worth a look as well, i use my dads A700 regually and its excellent.

New or second hand? Since you probably want it to be a surprise she won't get to play with them before hand. So in that case the 400D + 18-55 (IS if you can stretch) and the EF 50mm f/1.8 II would be a great start. Yes I'm Canon bias and love my wide primes to AF :D

clio 1.4 sport
cheers for your help guys i'll probably be buying it in the next couple of weeks her birthday's not for another month so got a bit of time

D

dick

Olympus E410 would be my recomendation. Untill the launch of its replacement, the e420, it was the smallest SLR body on the market, and is a brilliant camera. I am actually intending to purchase one as a second body and for use by my girlfriend.

Can get them now for £300 at the link below. Speak to Stuart Boston and tell him Stuart Thomas recomended him and he will look after you

http://www.digitaldepot.co.uk/Digit...mpus_E-410_14-42mm_Lens_Kit/product_info.html

debatable if thats a good thing being small!!

id personally put it as a negative!

for most women its a good thing though ;)

I use an E1 with Grip so would agree with you, but its a good cheap second body the missus can use