ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What cams are these?

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Afternoon all, a fellow forum member on here has sadly had a accident in his car so he decided that he's striping the car He bought a engine with "cat cams" from tdf 2years ago so i'd taken the rocker cover off and inspected the cams to see if they'd been damaged from the timming slipping a tooth.

But the biggest thing is i'm not overly convinced that they are cat cams as the indentification marks on them seams different from other cat cams.
I've taken a few pics of the only mark's on them, so could someone kindly help inidentify these.
Thanks.
4210DBC7-29AF-43A4-8479-3CCFA58FBC40.jpg

This one is the exhaust side but the other has A instead of B
2A37B066-C356-402C-9B79-CC79F960E4B3.jpg

165266D6-BC40-4DF6-8240-BD7FED9DBEC4.gif

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Hey thanks guys will look into it and contact the suggested makes and see what they say, yes if you wouldn't mind looking Sunday marinemackay2003 if it's not to much trouble for you.

Reason i'm asking guy's' i've been offered these 1st hand from the guy but not knowing if the engine has had uprated lifters or springs i don't want is to fit these and wreck my engine by simply not fitting upgraded parts, finding out the make i can then research if any and what upgrades are needed.
Thanks

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Oh this is going to be one hell of a mission finding out what these are lol.

Dan not sure if you'll be able to remember but you done a cam belt and dephaser pulley on this car (you said to this guy "that the cams was adjusted to advanced before hand") I was the guy that brought my engine to you in the boot a week later lol.

Apparently the car in question had made 200bhp on the rollers at tdf when they remapped it.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Yeah was a pretty bad to be honest it cracked the alternator tensioner.

Yeah now i remember him saying something 4?8 but wasn't sure if they'd be 428's or 438's. would they be a early batch at all?

172 phase 1 & 2
Yeah was a pretty bad to be honest it cracked the alternator tensioner.

Yeah now i remember him saying something 4?8 but wasn't sure if they'd be 428's or 438's. would they be a early batch at all?

Ello lads

yea the car was deffo 200bhp well about 197/198 if I remeber rightly, the engine came from out of the owner of TDF's Clio cup, I was there when they was mapping it on the rolling road.
im sure it was 4?8 I just cannot remember what the middle digit was.
are TDF on here? Im sure they will have a record or deffo remeber as it was the owners car, I bought the speedline turini's off him while I was there, it was about year or 2 ago

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Well finally i have some closure, I'd wrote a long email to tour-de-force and this was the reply they sent.

Hello,

The cams in the pictures provided are blanks we originally had produced for a Renault BTCC program some years ago, they could be ground with any number of profiles - however if the previous owner states they are 428s then it is likely this is what they are as the last of the blanks held by the manufacturer were used up this way and the engine appears otherwise standard.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
If they were made several years ago they'll be equivalent to 428. So only the inlet cam is uprated. Prima racing do the same profile from blanks for £295 brand new so it could be them.

TDF seemed to get lots of exaggerated RR figures so I'd take that with a pinch of salt. I.E a 172 with itbs and 428 cams putting out 216bhp...not going to happen in a million years.

Lionel Richie
Well finally i have some closure, I'd wrote a long email to tour-de-force and this was the reply they sent.

Hello,

The cams in the pictures provided are blanks we originally had produced for a Renault BTCC program some years ago, they could be ground with any number of profiles - however if the previous owner states they are 428s then it is likely this is what they are as the last of the blanks held by the manufacturer were used up this way and the engine appears otherwise standard.

No, they are GT cams, nothing BTCC about them :headno: