ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What checks/tests can i do to an engine that im interested in buying???

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
right i know of a valver engine for sale at my local scrappies 1 of the blokes theri said it had very low milage, in the twenties, and also said it drove really nice (he also apparently used 2 work for renaults), but anyway he wants 150 for it, the engien is now out of the car so there is no way of me drivign it, what is the best i can do to check/test thsi engine? iv herd bout compression tests, also he says the engine is garanteed for a month, so does any1 have any ideas what i could do?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
yeh but i dnt want it ot just b running, i want to know if it will last lol, it cud blow after 2 months! then im fucked!

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
It could be 20k or 120k. How are you to know.

As with any second hand engine, you cannot rely on the history so I would spend the money on getting it worked on whilst it is out (cheaper that way) and so you know what condition it is in before it goes into your car.

Cambelt will need changing, may as well do tensioners. Waterpump whilst it is out. Clutch. Then you may as well do gaskets, bearings and perhaps piston rings.

At least that way when fitted, you know it should be fine for 72k miles or 5 years before anything else needs touching.

Valver engines struggle to get £50 these days. May be worth getting one of them to give you more money to play with replacing stuff.