ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What coilovers/springs? - 172

RS200 Cup
Looking for some suspension advice and opinions on my Clio.

I got the car 4 months ago with Apex ~40mm springs on it and I'm finally getting a bit sick of how hard it is and think I could get some extra comfort and grip from a change.

I'll begin with what I am/am not interested in:

I am interested in good handling (not just grip ;) , being an ex-pug driver I know the difference)
I am not interested in 'filling the arches' or 'slamming it' :rasp:
I'm not too fussy about comfort, a bit is nice
I've never been keen on lowering too much for the car's geometry & finally,
Standard suspension looks like a monster truck.

I guess I would be prepared to fork out for high end coilovers like AST or B14's if they really make a big difference but I'd sooner not. I'd like something with camber and height adjustment to be professionally set up and something with a reasonably good/popular name on it would be nice ie. KW.

Alternatively should I grab some cup springs or Eibach Pro springs? I get the impression that they give great bang for buck.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Koni adjustables and Sportlines (Pro-better still) give a very good road set up. I'd avoid these £200 coilovers that seem to be all the rage on here, no such thing as a free lunch. I have B14's and rate them, massively

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
depends on budget. if its around £200 get the racelands, great value for money.

Ph 1 172
racelands are good i think! if all you want is a lowered car more than springs can offer they are the best to go for! if your looking for performance round track i dont think id bother id go for more upmarket so to speak coilovers

RS200 Cup
Well thanks for all the posts so far. I have been lurking for some time reading through various threads for a vague idea, that was one thread that I have seen. Personally, for that kind of money I'd rather just get some quality springs like the Eibach Pro's (rather than Sportlines). Although the Sportlines may be superior to my current springs, I don't feel it's worth the money 'just' for different spring rates (or w/e is different), as I say, I'd like to raise the car slightly from the 40mm it's on now.

I don't mind paying around £500~£800 to steer clear of cheap and cheerful, I have read about one particular horror story with VMaxx coilovers. While I'm sure this has been fixed there may be similar issues and I don't mind paying the extra anyway if it's going to help the tyres stick to the road. ;)

Something I forgot last time is that I'm probably going to get some lightweight wheels such as Rota's, most likely in 15" which will lower the ride for the track and occasionally for fast road but it'll be 16's mostly.

RS200 Cup
As I post there are FK Konigsports with adj. damping and AST top mounts sitting in for sale and I'm tempted. I heard they were a hard ride but with the adj. damping they can't be too bad.

260% JCW
Just fitted these to mine,

On the softest setting they're slightly firmer than standard. The stiffest setting id say is for track use only. Adjustable camber built in to the top bolt hole and you can have the car at any height you like.

Just waiting for my AST topmounts now.

After trying Standard, Standard with Prolines, Koni with Prolines, Koni with Koni springs i wish id bought these straight away.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've had: 40mm apex springs and brand new std shocks, garbage.

25mm (or whatever they are) Eibachs with 80,000 mile old std shocks, brilliant. (Best vfm by far!!)

FK Silverlines, brilliant

And I've done a whole track day on KW Competition things and they were mind numbingly good. Best things i've ever scome across infact!

I've currently got FK Konigsports on my track car but its not been on track since i've fitted them.

Golf GT TDI
iam happy with my sportlines. not a massive drop and sharpens things up alot and are no more "crashy" than standard springs imo

not tried coilovers yet, but thinking about it

Evo 8 MR
Just fitted these to mine,

On the softest setting they're slightly firmer than standard. The stiffest setting id say is for track use only. Adjustable camber built in to the top bolt hole and you can have the car at any height you like.

Just waiting for my AST topmounts now.

After trying Standard, Standard with Prolines, Koni with Prolines, Koni with Koni springs i wish id bought these straight away.

You got the FK Konigsports?

Sweet, guess you didn't FAIL like me when fitting them though ha!

I'm running on the stiffest setting btw, I'm a real hero yo.

Did you manage to keep the covers for the rear shocks from the standard ones at all?

RS200 Cup
I've had: 40mm apex springs and brand new std shocks, garbage.

25mm (or whatever they are) Eibachs with 80,000 mile old std shocks, brilliant. (Best vfm by far!!)

Sounds to me like I should try the Eibach Pro springs and see where they take me... I guess there's no harm in saving a bit of money for other things while I try them out.

It looks like the FK's are going to get sold but I'll be keeping my eyes open until I have something new to play with.

260% JCW
Yeah mate i got them in the end, after thinking about it for ages.

Best suspension mod IMO.

Yeah i managed to fit the standard rear bump stop's with muck cover to try and protect the rears. Not sure what i could do to protect the fronts mind.

Evo 8 MR
Yeah mate i got them in the end, after thinking about it for ages.

Best suspension mod IMO.

Yeah i managed to fit the standard rear bump stop's with muck cover to try and protect the rears. Not sure what i could do to protect the fronts mind.

I couldn't get them to go on. :(