ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What difference does an Amp make

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Thinking about getting a separte amp. Now Im not much of an ICE guru so I need some advice.

I have replaced my standard head unit with a Pioneer DEH-P80MP and a set of Pioneer component front speaker (with tweeters) The headunit is currently running 4x40w but it can run 4x60w with a separate power supply.

I am going to get some 6x9s or replace the rear speakers (Im not getting s sub!)

What difference will an Amp make?..not bothered to much about bass or volume but I like a nice clean crisp sound.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

It makes a lot of difference believe me! Clear sound, stronger bass, everyting improved basically i upgraded my infintiy 6x9s by adding an amp and now i cant believe how much better they are. cant recommend this enough.

don't

as above makes a big difference

+ just so happens i have two amps forsale at the moment

a Kenwood 2 channel 240 watt amp

and a mayster 275 watt 2 channel amp

both come with normal features, high/low pass filters, gain control etc etc

if u search for my name in other for sale section ull find them, havent bumped them for ages :-(

or pm if ur tempted :)

but yea deff worth getting 1

Will make a big difference. The quality of the Amp chips inside a decent external amp will be so much higher than the tiny ones you get inside a hu.

Ziel Nurburgring

To sum it up, instead of your HU struggling to power the 6x9s, once they are amped the sound will be clearer and louder. So your sound in the car wont sound distorted as you turn the volume up

Tell u the truth ur setup sounds pretty damn good as it is, if it aint broke dont fix it mate, possibly add some 6x9s at the back for a bit of low end thud but dont bother shelling out on an amp, because if u aint bothered about massive volume it would just be a bit of a waste in my opinion.

40watts per channel is pretty loud in a confined space 60 even more so.

Quote: Originally posted by Pug_fuct on 01 November 2004

possibly add some 6x9s at the back for a bit of low end thud but dont bother shelling out on an amp,
i cant believe im reading this, visit Talkaudio or http://www.diyaudio.comwww.diyaudio.com and say this to them see what their reaction is

i can guarantee that adding a small stereo amp to power the front will sound far far better than having the head-unit powering a set of fronts and a set of 6x9s (use the search with regards to quality of 6x9s ;))

main reason for adding an amplifier is clarity, no head unit will produce a good quality sound from its internal amplifier, one of the reasons nakamichi and becker rarely, if ever, use internal amps. these are two of the worlds leading manufacturers of head units when it comes to sound quality. an amplified signal from the pre-out will sound far better than a normal signal from a head unit

i hope that makes sense to you :confused:

Erm i kinda sed In my opinion, doesnt mean he has to accept it, ive been in cars with amps running the rears and i just dont like it i dont have me music on loud in the car, headunit powers fine for me, i was just offering my opinion.

Of course amplifier manufacturers are gonna say that the amps make a load of difference theyre trying to sell them to you in the first place.

ive been installing ice for around 4 years now, and the biggest difference you can make to a system, is to add an amp to power the front speakers. im not a fan of any mid/treble from the rear as it destroys the sound staging, which IMHO is paramount in a decent system. obviously the amp is not there to produce silly volumes, although capable of doing do, the louder a system can go, invariably it will sound much clearer at lower volumes, which is essentially the volume you can listen to music as opposed to hear it

yes manufacturers are going to claim that their product will improve the sound, however, when companies like nakamichi and becker are removing the internal amps in order to produce a much more natural sound, it generally gives the idea, that amps are in fact a great addition to a system. sadly, yes, companies like splx do produce poor quality kit, and will more than likely make little or no difference to the sound, but spend wisely (doesnt need to be big £££) and you will reap the rewards

Like i sed mate its just my opinion, if jo public wants to spend £££££££s on car stereo setup thats fine by me, it just aint my cup of tea m8 id prefer to spend the money elsewhere, but whilst ur on u can help me out seen as u work in the ICE trade, cud u have a look at my thread about the JVC stereo?

Cheers Fella

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by bambam1 on 01 November 2004

ive been installing ice for around 4 years now, and the biggest difference you can make to a system, is to add an amp to power the front speakers. im not a fan of any mid/treble from the rear as it destroys the sound staging, which IMHO is paramount in a decent system. obviously the amp is not there to produce silly volumes, although capable of doing do, the louder a system can go, invariably it will sound much clearer at lower volumes, which is essentially the volume you can listen to music as opposed to hear it

yes manufacturers are going to claim that their product will improve the sound, however, when companies like nakamichi and becker are removing the internal amps in order to produce a much more natural sound, it generally gives the idea, that amps are in fact a great addition to a system. sadly, yes, companies like splx do produce poor quality kit, and will more than likely make little or no difference to the sound, but spend wisely (doesnt need to be big £££) and you will reap the rewards

Making a little more sense now! So you would only recommend amping up the front speakers and not the rear? I was probably going to do the front and the 2 by the rear seats and not bother with 6x9s as Im not really a bass person just like clarity of sound.

get an amp. for the people who have heard my system, it makes such a lot of difference. Even though Im running a hell of a lot of ICE.

Takes that little bit of strain off the head unit