ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do i do with it now !?

RB Lutecia
I have a BlackGold clio 182 that's just ticked over 68,000 miles and the aux belt has decided to jump into the timing case for a peek, im not interested in all the ''Did you do this'' Did a garage do it?'' ''This should of been done!'' I'm not interested whats happened has happened, anyways the question is now what do I do ?

Do I,

Strip the car for bits and sell on everything like the turinis the 4 week old milltek, reconned gearbox obviously not the engine as its died and all the other bits and bobs they have

Or will somebody offer me a price that's going to take the hassle of stripping it down from me so they can do it themselves or even just bang another engine in it ? I do have a price in mind and if it gets offered then the first to offer over it can come and take the lot

Mark

053.jpg 054.jpg 056.jpg 057.jpg

LY FF182
Why not buy a tall motor from a car being broke, 172 or 182, for about £200-250 and swap it then keep the car?

RB Lutecia
Lost interest with the car, recently put a clutch in it, £100 on a new starter motor, £56 on a Crank Sensor just want shut and if I have muppets offering £500 to take it ill just strip it myself, it was only last month I paid nearly £500 for the exhaust . .

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
I'd be getting it fixed or sourcing another engine for it.

Then if you have fallen out of love with it you can sell on as a running car (recent cambelt kit etc) and recoup some money.

Sounds like you've spent some coin on it recently on some decent parts for it, shame to break it imo

Ph 1 172
I'd break it personally. It's all well and good saying sack a 2nd hand engine in but if you add it all up (especially for a car you have fallen out of love with) why bother

2nd engine - £250-£400
all belts changed - £500
spark plugs, oil, oil filter £70
fitting new engine -either a lot of your own time or paying £200+. For a garage to do it

whats the point I'd break it and get a phase 1 172 lol

RB Lutecia
I understand that's the best thing to do but nobody wants a car without the standard engine in it and I personally stay well away from cars with different engines its never a good sign and im not putting the time and money now of repairing it, don't get me wrong I can do it all myself im in the trade but I think if someone just offers me the right price it'll go as a whole now, if not ill break it. Everybody knows how much you can get for these so . .

RB 200
to be honest its probably going to cost £1000 to put it right before you pay someone to swap the motor, take the exhaust off and sell it for what you can and take £500 for it ... to be honest what are you expecting to be offered for a 10 year old car with a knackered engine thats obviously been neglected or the belts would have been done and it would be right .. I've been looking at good runners for £1000-£1500

Astra (H) VXR
to be honest its probably going to cost £1000 to put it right before you pay someone to swap the motor, take the exhaust off and sell it for what you can and take £500 for it ... to be honest what are you expecting to be offered for a 10 year old car with a knackered engine thats obviously been neglected or the belts would have been done and it would be right .. I've been looking at good runners for £1000-£1500

The belts were done on it last year, I know this car and he spends a lot of time keeping things in good working order.. And has done work on mine too, and as also said he is a mechanic he's hardly going to sell it for £500 when he can brake it is he. People shouldn't make assumptions.

RB 200
Not under warranty then? ..

like I say, if he sells the new exhaust system and sells the car for £500-£600 he'll probably get a grand which would get you a decent runner a few years older..

Mk8 GTi CS & Ph1
I'd break it personally. It's all well and good saying sack a 2nd hand engine in but if you add it all up (especially for a car you have fallen out of love with) why bother 2nd engine - £250-£400 all belts changed - £500 spark plugs, oil, oil filter £70 fitting new engine -either a lot of your own time or paying £200+. For a garage to do it whats the point I'd break it and get a phase 1 172 lol

belts won't cost that much if the engine is out the car, it's much easier

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Lost interest with the car, recently put a clutch in it, £100 on a new starter motor, £56 on a Crank Sensor just want shut and if I have muppets offering £500 to take it ill just strip it myself, it was only last month I paid nearly £500 for the exhaust . .

Hardly muppets. That's all its worth. If you don't want to take that for it, then you'll have to strip it yourself.

If I was you, i'd sell the exhaust (£250+?) and wheels (£250+) then advertise the car with no exhaust on some crappy wheels for £500.

I've broken 182's before and it's nothing but aggro. Never worth the effort.

Hardly muppets. That's all its worth. If you don't want to take that for it, then you'll have to strip it yourself.

If I was you, i'd sell the exhaust (£250+?) and wheels (£250+) then advertise the car with no exhaust on some crappy wheels for £500.

I've broken 182's before and it's nothing but aggro. Never worth the effort.

This tbh.

I'd offer something in the region of £700 for the car.

Breaking standard cars is just not worth it anymore, too many mongs on here having a go at breaking cars for spares and barely making any money from it. Plus as Dan said, far too many time wasting mongs as well on here also.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
People are completely overpricing this job.

i bought my old 172 with a slipped belt.

£150 for a head
£100 for the belt change
gaskets and a few other bits.
£50 oil and filter.

pop the engine back in.

then enjoy again

RB 200
Aye but for someone to buy it, £300 parts, £500 car, £300 someone to fix it? Makes the £500 offers look reasonable to me

I imagine if someone bought it, it would be for stripping it themselves. That's what I'd do anyway.

To the OP, Just weigh things up before you make a decision, are you attached to the car? is it worth fixing or will you regret pumping quite a lot ££££ in to it?

I've recently had a similar situation and I opted for the "break it for parts" option as pumping nearly half the cars value in to it to bring back to life just wasn't logical.

No, the belts cost that on their own.

Yeah I know how much they cost, so more than the £300 you stated to get an engine ready to be 'popped in'. More like £450 plus gearbox oil and various other gaskets if youre not doing a pikey job, so it would be a lot easier to just buy a used engine with good belt history.

Also you miss the point that the OP might not be competant enough to carry out this amount of work, so labour will double that original cost.

So after all that, sometimes its easier to sell the car on as is and let someone else sort it out.

RB Lutecia
No I don't think it is quite worth putting all the money into it as when I first got the car I did 200 miles in it and the gearbox blew on it so that was another box needed, bought a reconditioned box put a new clutch in it, then to find this great box was crunching in third so I put a third gear synchro in and third gear which also came with reverse, this was far from cheap by now, then the clutch fell apart due to manufacturers fault had to put another in it ! then ive had to put a PAS pump on new aux belt had the timing belt done less than 6k ago and now this aux belt just started fraying on my trip home got worse then cut out with doing the damage . . hence with this dead car im not interested in putting more money to it to make it live again

I understand I wont get a massive amount for it as it is I wasn't expecting a massive amount and I was going to let someone else break it therefore to maybe make more money from it, now ive put it up on here and a few have seen if anyone needs any bits drop me some pm's ill be starting to break it around weekend with any luck thanks

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
If like me you aren't mechanically minded then I'd source a second hand engine, there a a couple for sale on here. My old car had this issue and garage costs to repair were horrific, 16 bent valves, belts, dephaser, water pump, etc etc labour. £££££

RB Lutecia
I'm a mechanic by trade anyway but I have no interest for it any more I know what I want now and im going for it as soon as possible so fingers crossed this can evaporate rather quickly !