ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do you guys think of these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  V6 255 (Illiad Blue)
Hello!

A couple of months ago I decided to have some Wing Mirrors / Bases skimmed in Carbon Fibre. I found a thread on CS where someone was advertising their services at skimming. The thread had some brilliant images of their work and the wing mirrors looked top notch!

I contacted the member and he charged me £198 to do the job. I had to provide my own bases, so bought some from a member here and had them sent to him. He requested me pay the sum so he could get to work on them. I paid him and he promptly went on holiday for a couple of weeks. I wasnt in any rush at that point and wanted the job done properly so i waited, and waited....and waited some more.

Nearly 8 weeks after i paid I recieved my skimmed wing mirrors!

c278f843.jpg
e7b76c93.jpg
798fc545.jpg
ec118c1c.jpg
798fc545.jpg
56928453.jpg
Only problem, the weave looked horrid, stretched and warped which spoiled the look of them. I couldnt put these on my V6, they didnt look right. I looked back at the original pictures that were posted on the thread advertising them and they looked fine, the weave looked good and there were no noticeable discrepancys.

Skimming with CF isnt an easy job to do but still... I asked a few people who work with CF their opinion on the wing mirrors and all came back with negative comments, "Shocking", "They wouldnt be going anywhere near my car" and "get a refund" were the responses. So i PM'd the guy who skimmed them to express my thoughts on the mirrors. I was respectful and honest, knowing questioning someworks work is always a difficult thing to do.

The guys response though was shocking and disappointing at the same time. Heres a couple of quotes to get the jist of it:

"There is no way you can say that there not up to standard"

"You/he oviosely no nothing about carbon and need to find/get you fax strait before you tell somone with the experiance and no how whats what."

"You came to me to cover your parts there are no refunds available and tbh your just not worth deling with"

"If your not happy with my work theres something wrong with you..."

Ive asked for a refund and he has refused. He is saying you saw the photos of the wingmirrors in the thread before I ordered a set. Thats true I did, they look great, and I cant see the weave messed up like the ones in mine :( As a result Ive been advised by CS admin to look into a small claims court which Im thinking of persuing.

Kind regards

£198 for that!!! how can he say that is a top job! maybe he needs the cash for spelling lessons or specsavers

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
this is shocking to be honest, I would be annoyed for waiting the 8 weeks too.
Did you pay with paypal etc?

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
which member was it? as i know there is a couple doing carbon skimming.

and as above how did you pay him?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
LOL- looks like snake skin- was it done by Crocadile dundee-

I think you may be out of luck with a refund- best of luck though

Steve

260% JCW
Thats shocking to be honest!

Name and shame IMO, make sure he/she doesn't get any more work and save someone else having a similar experience. If you paid via paypal get your money back!

Lol @ the spelling, seriously.

oviosely strait experiance

:dead:

PS I'm with you on the quality issue.

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
You sent me your wing mirrors 4 weeks ago, and by the time you got a spare set of wing mirrors and sent me them I was about to go on my holiday for 2 weeks which I sed before you sent me them, You got these 2 weeks after becouse I had loads of carbon fiber parts to produce a back log from being on holiday, so you only waited 2 weeks... I did say it would take up to 2weeks to cover... You saw my work before you asked me to cover your wing mirrors you also saw the carbon wing mirrors I had previousely coverd and I had explained why the carbon weave was destorted becouse or the complex shape/bulge of the part, I have sold loads of carbon trims on loads of forums and everyone who has had there parts carbon skined has benn very pleased but you, out of 100 of people...

The pictures you saw befor hand...

And there is no way you can say that there not up to standard, I have sold at least 6 other wing mirrors and people have been very pleased at the very high quality. It is imposible to get the weave over the part without any streatching or twisting of the carbon weave, as its not a flat part even out of a mould you would get streatches and twists in the carbon weave. Look how complex the part is its a big bulge in the middle. If I used pre preg carbon it would not have gone around those complex courners. Even K-tecs carbon splitters have streatches and twists in the carbon weave as this is not pre preg carbon like streamline use. A flat part like foglight surrounds, 182/172 rear bumper insert, exhaust surrounds etc farely flat parts with minor cuves/corners will lay up 100% perfect without any twists or distortions in the carbon weave, weather it be carbon or pre preg carbon, the wing mirrors on the other hand are the only part I have done that has and will destort.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
If you're that confident refund the guy and sell the mirrors on.

Don't be a tool. The guy is not happy and rightly so imo.

I've seen carbon mirror covers and they are straight as a die.

V6 255 (Illiad Blue)
Si

The photos you posted are the very same ones as what are on your initial thread. The quality looked fantastic with no signs of distortion in the weave. Mine clearly show differently. If you knew there was going to be distortion when skimming them, you should have let prospective buyers know on the thread before hand. That way they can make an informed decision on whther to purchase or not. If you had been upfront I wouldnt have gone ahead and wasted nearly £200.

Why are you sending me PMs saying Im taking the p***? That Im not worth "dealing" with and asking if im "Thick"?

Very unprofessional IMHO

Will you do the right thing now and refund me please?

182Cup, MinesGTR R35

205-309%20Wing%20Mirror%20Blanks.gif

Yes it will be strait as a die on a flat base plate like these I have done... But not on those he was told before hand and saw what he was buying...

V6 255 (Illiad Blue)

Ive offered to take a loss on the £35 i paid for the wing mirrors and to send him the mirrors back so he can do whatever he wants with them. If hes that confident on the quality he would have no problems selling them on. At present hes refused.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Mirror covers mate, not bases.

Curved mirror covers.

Looks really bad mate, tell him the standard isnt as he had advertised and if he doesn't give you a full refund you'l see him in a small claims court! Thats false advertising if he is saying he can do one thing and selling another. Failing this just get him to supply you with a new set.

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
Mirror covers mate, not bases.

Curved mirror covers.

Yes covers I can cover the covers strait as a die too, but your not reading the above and understanding. It is imposible to get the weave over the part without any streatching or twisting of the carbon weave (as on the clio base plate) its not a flat part even out of a mould you would get streatches and twists in the carbon weave. Look how complex the part is its a big bulge in the middle. If I used pre preg carbon it would not have gone around those complex courners. Even K-tecs carbon splitters have streatches and twists in the carbon weave as this is not pre preg carbon like streamline use.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Well I dont apriciate someone taking the piss out of my spelling so what if my spelling its not spot on I might be dyslexic...

Its not really the spelling mate-

Its more the fact that I 'thought' there some sort of code of conduct & integrity from the reps / Admin / Traders on here- ie dont stitch up fellow members-

on the face of it- on this occasion you should have offered some form of refund, not perhaps all- but something you both agreed on- Im sure you didnt deliberatly get a poor finish in areas, however the guys not satisfied & you need to take all that into consideration-

All part of making money from a service offered...

S

C

clio-lord

refund and sell on.
P.s area rep should know better i think this should of been sorted before it got this far

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
I also told him before hand that there will be slight streatching it has to to get over the bulge in the middle, theres nothing wrong with them only hes taking pictures from angles that will make the disortions look 90times worse than what they actualy are... So im supposed to refund him when he new what he was getting and saw pictures prior or purches of the wing mirrors and what they would look like and my work...

R

random172

M40 CUO

Would you put them on your car?
Do you think it's worth £200 ?
Do the decent thing and negotiate some sort of refund, save face, and rescue the situation or you're risking future business from this site.

Last edited by a moderator:
  V6 255 (Illiad Blue)
Bare faced lie! You never told me there would be distortion to the weave which would result in them looking like they do!

So now Ive taken photos from bad angles? Come off it, they look like that from whatever angle I look at them at. Do the right thing and refund me, I will send the mirrors back and you can do what you want with them, If that means sell them on to recoup your money then fine. Just make sure they see what they really look like before hand. Are you not reading my responses? The photos you took look great, I cant see anything wrong with the weave, look at mine, they are horrific. If you cant see that but everyone else can, whats that saying to you?

Your behaviour here and now will define how people percieve you as a seller and service in the future, Id take a guess that youre not doing yourself any favours at present in terms of getting future work.

Do the right thing and refund me.

V6 230
It appears as if everyone is ganging up on you M40 COU. Rightly so or not I have no opinion on as I am no expert in carbon weave. It could jump up and poke me in the eye and I still wouldn't have a clue. But from a complete outsiders view, this thread is crippling any future business for you. It's absolutely terrible press for you. Whether you want to or not, it's essential you come to an amicable closure to this dispute and restore customer confidence. I wish you the best of luck.

STEALTH RAIDER
Oh dear, hope things get sorted between the pair of you. When a carboned part is turned around and look at from various angles, it shouldnt really have any bad distorted areas. Carbon mods have a vid on their site of a rounded mirror being done along with a flat part too. Both Flawless. Yes he is a pro and so might you but on this occasion, Its clear that something went wrong and somebody isnt happy with the goods. Do what other suppliers would do cuo. Learn from your mistakes and take up his wishes.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Regardless whether you think it's good enough or not M40, your customer is not happy and wants a refund, so that's your priority imo. It's obvious why, I don't think he's being unreasonable...

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
M40 COU

Would you put them on your car?
Do you think it's worth £200 ?
Do the decent thing and negotiate some sort of refund, save face, and rescue the situation or you're risking future business from this site.

Yes I would put them on my car as I did say to my gf/dad who is an Americas Cup Yacht designer manufacturer that its a shame I have to sell these ones becouse there the best clio wing mirrors I have done to date out of the 6 I have coverd...
You oviousely have never worked with carbon, £200 yes becouse of the time consuming process and work involved skining them it takes far far far longe than making them out of a mould...

Looch whats you phone number pm me it...

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
Just make him a new set and sell those terrible ones on ebay, you'll easily make enough to cover the cost of a replacement set.

You big girl.

Mk4 XR3i 90 - spec
Haha same.

There gash for £200!

And get some pics up of your better work to stop potential customers being put off...

We want evidence that you're as good as you say. And obv a load of carbon shinyness to look at.

Chop Chop cowboy. X

STEALTH RAIDER
Yes I would put them on my car as I did say to my gf/dad who is an Americas Cup Yacht designer manufacturer that its a shame I have to sell these ones becouse there the best clio wing mirrors I have done to date out of the 6 I have coverd...
You oviousely have never worked with carbon, £200 yes becouse of the time consuming process and work involved skining them it takes far far far longe than making them out of a mould...

Not pissing on your parade mate but go to carbonmods.com, go to the carbon fibre kits on the left and click on skinning kit. Price isnt an issue as it can be seen anyway. A piece of carbon for a item should be 2 times bigger or more to start with. Then there is no stretching required as its as flexible as my wanger.

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
I cant believe this hasnt been resolved. M40 CUO, if you are so sure of your work and quality then these will sell on again no bother, give the lad a refund. The customer isnt happy and is willing to pay the postage back to you. Whats the issue? Your not at a loss.

You've destroyed your customer service reputation over a very minor blip that could have been solved with a couple of PM's.

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
Oh dear, hope things get sorted between the pair of you. When a carboned part is turned around and look at from various angles, it shouldnt really have any bad distorted areas. Carbon mods have a vid on their site of a rounded mirror being done along with a flat part too. Both Flawless. Yes he is a pro and so might you but on this occasion, Its clear that something went wrong and somebody isnt happy with the goods. Do what other suppliers would do cuo. Learn from your mistakes and take up his wishes.

Yes if you have a very smooth part with a few simple corners it will lay up without any distortions, but on a part such as the clio wing mirror which has a huge protusion there has to be some considruble distortion in the cloth for it to mould to that shape. That is why a twill cloth is used. In general lay ups such as in boats and aircraft etc twill clothes are designed for use in complicated areas with large shape distortions as they more eaisily drape to these complicated shapes with curvature in more than one direction. In the case of decorative car parts they also have a pleasant appearance but in general moulding applications it is their ability to drape over complicated shapes that makes them useful.

R

random172

No, you're right, I have never worked with carbon, I have no idea how time consuming it is, what processes are involved or indeed what skills are required.
As a layperson, all I can personally say is that the photos look somewhat wobbly, and it's entirely possible that the "dodgy" bits could be on a part you'd not normally see when they're fitted to a car - who looks "underneath" ??

From reading the thread it appears that you have an unhappy customer that has come on here to gripe, and unfortunately it's doing you no favours. He was diplomatic enough not to name you, you did that yourself.

It might be worth taking it up the "a$$" on this occasion, by
taking the hit & offering the refund, or
taking those ones back (keep them for yourself, or sell them on) & have another go at it?

Either of the above will help you out for future business as it would demonstrate you're a reasonable guy that listens to your customers.
Your typing ability on a forum makes no difference to the work you do and shouldn't really be judged.

Kudos for taking the first step and asking for his number.

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
Not pissing on your parade mate but go to carbonmods.com, go to the carbon fibre kits on the left and click on skinning kit. Price isnt an issue as it can be seen anyway. A piece of carbon for a item should be 2 times bigger or more to start with. Then there is no stretching required as its as flexible as my wanger.

You have never used carbon from this alone you have no clue...

Status
Not open for further replies.