ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What does clutch slipping feels like

When I start to accelerate slowly from standstill in 1st gear, I sometimes feel the lumpy vibration through the clutch pedal. is it because I havent put enough revs? or the clutch has a problem. It started to happen around 14000k, now its on 18000k.

I can only feel it when I accelerate slowly, and only felt it in 1st gear.

The uptake used to feel smooth.

I had my clutch replaced because it was slipping, but it only happened under hard acceleration.The crank shaft oil seal was leaking oil and contamination the clutch.

But yours sounds more like its juddering at the bite point right? My new clutch is a little juddery.Have you been doing a lot of high rpm starts in first gear? if a clutch gets hot enough it can sometimes warp.

didnt know ur engine could rev up to 18,000k! lol!

when it slips basically u stick ur foot on the accelerator, the engine will rev but ull hardly move!

wot mileage u down in ur car? i got suggested to change it every 80k

172 Cup

A slipping clutch will normally first show symptoms in a higher gear where the torque on the clutch is higher. Only a very knackered clutch would be slipping in first.

Yeah, juddery. well its after the biting point or there about...before I release the clutch. I havent do alot of high rev start, only a few times when testing the 0-62 time.

So is this a serious problem? will it gets worse?
mileage is currently on 18,000k

Quote: Originally posted by Locky on 23 April 2003

I had my clutch replaced because it was slipping, but it only happened under hard acceleration.The crank shaft oil seal was leaking oil and contamination the clutch.

But yours sounds more like its juddering at the bite point right? My new clutch is a little juddery.Have you been doing a lot of high rpm starts in first gear? if a clutch gets hot enough it can sometimes warp.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Ive got like a juddery feeling if Im slipping the clutch a bit at very low revs but it smooths out at about 2k rpm.

Dont notice any slipping in gear though

easy way to tell if your clutch is slipping..........put the hand brake on (assuming that it works) put the car in 4th & let the clutch up slowley.......the car should stall straight away !!!( well as soon as it bites) if if dont stall & the clutch pedal is half way up.....you need a new clutch !!!

had anyone tried fatherteds method? is a worn clutch that easy to diagnose? my dealer told me that the only way they could find out is to physically examine it. i also heard that if you accelerate to say 10km/h in first than switch to 5th gear and floor the car, thereby labouring the clutch hard and you still dont get any slippage than your clutch is good. comments?

Subaru Forrester

The clutch is juddery on my mk1 whilst pulling away in 1st - it always has been since Ive had it (10k to 33k miles)

Putting a few more revs than you think youd need whilst moving off (only to about 1.4k ish) seems to bypass this judder. Otherwise after the bite point the revs do drop suddenly and has made people whove had a go in my car stall it.

As Locky says it does differ with temperature and certainly if youre stuck in traffic crawling in and out of 1st the clutch becomes a nightmare ( try getting out of London on the A40 at 5pm :()

BMW 320d Sport

A slipping clutch is very very obvious - you cant miss it. Ive had a few in my time, including the weekend just gone at the Nurburgring, and whenever you try and put any power into it, the revs will rise but you wont speed up. Almost as if you were revving the car in neutral. Sounds weird, but honestly you will notice it straight away even if youve never experienced it before. The higher up the gears you go the more obvious it should be when you floor it. EG. round the Ring I learnt to drive in 4th (to keep my speed up) with gentle throttle, but if I used the same throttle in 5th it would have slipped, because the higher gearing is putting more of a load on it.

Golf GTI Ed30

Another easy way to tell is put your car in forth gear at about 25-30mph and just put your foot down. If your rev counter whips round but you arent going any faster. Its slipping!

try my idea or Vtecs...............same principle.....both suggestions will work coz both of em are making the clutch work hard.........& no you dont have to take the g/box off & examine the clutch to find out if its slipping !!....it should be pretty obvious in the feel of the clutch!.

anyone actually had a clutch replacement? i heard it is an engine out jobby for all front wheel drives. must take quite a few labour hours at the garage then....

BMW 320d Sport

On the old 16v and Willy, to do the job properly its engine and gearbox out, although it can be bodged by separating them in the engine bay and sliding the clutch in then crossing your fingers.