ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What ECU Upgrade

Final go at this!

The Hillpower Group N ECU is a renault developed chip. The R-Sport is not the same.

The question here is which one is best. Is anyone out there using one or the other and what are they like.

Only the facts no fiction.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

The R-Sport ECU and the Hill Power one are the SAME item...

Neither one is developed by Renault Sport!

nope, if it was you could get it through your local dealer. the grp N cars and the cup cars are prepped else where not at renaults main factory.

unlike at ford and peugeot where you can buy a WRC focus/206 over the counter at the parts department!!!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

renault parts/involvement etc though.its just that the parts arent avaliable from the dealers because it is just designed for their racing cars and wasnt designed to be sold to the general public.the group n ecu is just a much a renault ecu as the road going standard unit.its even got a renault part number its just that its not avaliable through renault dealers thats all.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

had a few part numbers for a group n ecu sent me but they arent avaliable through the uk dealer network.checked on the computer which is linked to the renault uk parts distributation centre.ah well it was a good idea whilst it lasted.hillpower etc must get them direct from a contact in france.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

dont bother with either, u aint going to get any more power, just a lumpy idle!! if u want a chip, buy a turbo then u will see some power.

Quote: Originally posted by lastmanjackson on 24 February 2004

The question here is which one is best. Is anyone out there using one or the other and what are they like.

Only the facts no fiction.

will let you know how the hill power chip performs hopfully tomorrow. think we need to get intouch with a couple of companies (hill power and whoever doe sthe R-sport chip) and get a standard cup chipped by both companies and take it for a bit of a drive then compair the 2 rather than going round in circles over and over, ive been on here a couple of weeks and already read the same topic about this 6 or 7 times.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by yeecup on 24 February 2004

dont bother with either, u aint going to get any more power, just a lumpy idle!!
Err... the idle is fine, and whilst you may not see much in terms of a peak headline power figure, you will see increased power & torque lower down the rev range, more willing to rev top end and an increased rev range!

The cars running the R-Sport ECUs are also the ones running 14.0 & 14.1 1/4 mile times, so they must be doing something...

dont bother with either, u aint going to get any more power, just a lumpy idle!! if u want a chip, buy a turbo then u will see some power.
Piperx filter, magnex back box and straight through exhaust 177.5 bhp

piperx filter,magnex back box , straight through exhaust and Hillpower group n ecu 187.5 bhp

I think it does something m8

It would appear I have kicked the whole thing off again.

This is what I now for sure - the Group N chip from Hillpower is a renault developed mapping, but it may not be a renault part as such.

The R-sport chip from Radbourne Racing I belive is developed by Radbourne themselves, but this may not be true. I will find out for sure if it is the Renault developed group N chip this weekend, as I will be popping round to see them

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

You need to get hold of the renault sport catalog.

that clears things up.

Far as i was aware the reprogrammed siemens ecu is not an offical renault sport part.

The MM ecu is.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by lastmanjackson on 25 February 2004

This is what I now for sure - the Group N chip from Hillpower is a renault developed mapping, but it may not be a renault part as such.

The R-sport chip from Radbourne Racing I belive is developed by Radbourne themselves, but this may not be true. I will find out for sure if it is the Renault developed group N chip this weekend, as I will be popping round to see them
They are the SAME thing...

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by lastmanjackson on 25 February 2004

It would appear I have kicked the whole thing off again.

standard renault ecus arent made directly by renault themselves.everything is always made by somebody else for renault.both the r-sport and hillpower ecus are group n ecus developed by somebody else for renault.it is an official renault part and it does have a renault part number its just that its not avaliable through your renault dealers as renault didnt make it for it to be sold to the general public.hillpower etc must get them directly from contacts in france.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Theyre the same!

Ring Nick at Hill Power and he will tell you where he gets the ECU from... its R-Sport in Wimbledon...

Nippy white cup

Quote: Originally posted by lew172 on 25 February 2004

Piperx filter, magnex back box and straight through exhaust 177.5 bhp

piperx filter,magnex back box , straight through exhaust and Hillpower group n ecu 187.5 bhp

I think it does something m8
Was this the same day on the same rollers? We all know the variations between different RRs. Mine has Pipercross filter, full stainless exhaust with cat chopped, R-sport Ecu. And mine got around 180bhp?

Chris