ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What Engine do we think this is?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
It was in a golf at Volksfest? A straight 6 or some sorts..

4667_96007840355_630910355_2406558_1930489_n.jpg

E36 M3. 182
Its a vr6. the shorter trumpets are feeding the rear cylinders, Its a very narrow angled v6, with a single cylinder head.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
It could be a VR6, they are only slightly 'V' shaped, ie by 10 degrees or something so they arent far from inline 6.

ValverInBits
definitely a VR6
The V angle is about 15 degrees or less iirc. They are barely a V. They would be straight but the slight V means that the engine doesent need to be quite so long.
Not really a V-engine as they have a single bank of cylinders.

53 Clio's & counting
Agreed with the above the angle is 15 degrees

good engines, mine made 197 lb ft of torque with basic mods

53 Clio's & counting
Here ya go, the noise of my 1993 Golf VR6, K+N filter in my own made enclosed box, with a AmD remap

th_MOV00265.jpg

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
i can safely say Dazza it is a mk1 golf

even tho we now know its not a straight 6 VR6 engine doesnt look like that

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
Last edited:
  53 Clio's & counting
Its a different rocker cover thats all, it is a VR, cant tell if its a Golf/passat engine (2.8 engine code AAA) or the Corrado lump (2.9 engine code AVB)

Its the 1993 onwards engine though as its running a coil, in place of a dizzy

53 Clio's & counting
Is there any benefit to having a narrow V setup? Is it purely to shrink the length of the engine, slightly - nothing more?

D.

It was so it could be mounted transversly in a selected engine bay fella, means they could make the Golf for example try to compete with bigger engined cars, and so it could be fitted into the passat and Sharan too

ValverInBits
Edit: ^^ Same basic Block though? ^^

Is there any benefit to having a narrow V setup? Is it purely to shrink the length of the engine, slightly - nothing more?

D.

The reason they did it is because an inline would have been too long for a transverse mount and a proper 90 degree V would be more expensive (requires 2 heads). VR6 engines are quite clever in that respect, but I wouldnt call it a good engine. They tend not to make good power (for size), they are heavy, they drink fuel. People just love to tell teh kids they have a 2.8V6 in their golf. They do respond really well to boost though.

53 Clio's & counting
Im saying thats not a VR engine like Laura

4 motion lump is my guess

"Wheres the supercharger".... FLMAO!!!!

After looking at the picture slide for a BDE lump, i will say same mate, the 2.8 V6 out of the Golf 4motion, why didn't i think of that before :S swear im loosing it...

Tav

Clio 197
It could be the 24v 4 Motion engine rather than the 12v VR6. They then took the basic concept further with the R32 and R36 engines. They sound great and do a good job of doing what they were designed for, lugging big German hatch backs down the motorway in a refined and smooth fashion.

Bloke from Aberdeen has a track day VR6, healthy note! Silly having a track car with a big engine hanging out over the front wheels but it's what he wanted I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xpWCW1abj0

53 Clio's & counting
only thing is, its not running indevidual coils, its on a single coil pack, if it is 24v then it must be using old 12v ignition?

E39 M5 & Corsa track
would most likely be on aftermarket engine management, using the old 12v coil pack would run it on a wasted spark system, easy to wire up and work with.

53 Clio's & counting
After colaberating everyones opinions together - Most likely a 2.8 24v out of a MK4 Golf 2.8 v6 4motion mate

204 BHP as standard