ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What gearboxs would fit on?

learning in corsa 1.3tb
Just wanted to know which gearboxs would fit on a mk1 valver f7p/f7r engine. Looking to change to a gearbox with closer ratios. Any ideas????

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
iirc the valver uses a jb3 box and the williams a jb5?

in theory a 1.2 16v jb1 box should fit on but will it take the power/torque? theres a reason the 1.4/1.6 16v use a jb3 and not a jb1 after all!

learning in corsa 1.3tb
okay the reason that i ask is because i was told by a breakers yard that only a valver box would fit onto a valver engine due to the bell housing being a certain shape. just wondered if this was the case

BMW M135i
You can fit any JB/JC series box to it. The bellhousing pattern is the same.

Valver uses a JB3 box, Williams a JC5.

BMW M135i
Which engine you looking to use? F7P or F7R? The valver box is closer ratio iirc but its torque rating is lower.

learning in corsa 1.3tb
would be using the 1.8 valver engine. Okay but would any of the other boxs in the range jb/jc give better ratios or would it be best to stick with the jb3 box?

ValverInBits
valver boxes are largely the same as the williams boxes. The williams are stronger and have a longer 5th (maybe a longer 4th too). This is due to the F7R williams being longer stroked (giving the extra displacement) so it's not as revvy.
williams boxes are regarded as the better longer lasting, stronger box.
You may be able to fit a 1.2 box. But I'd only do that if you could find them dead cheap and you could fit them yourself in under a day. Then treat them as disposable boxes becuase they are not going to last all that long. especially if you have a good F7P.

Stick with the valver box IMO. Cheap, quite close, and strong enough

learning in corsa 1.3tb
The reason that i ask is that the car is pushing almost 200bhp and i was looking for a box with closer ratio's to give better performance.