ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is causing this knocking sound? FF 182. (Video Inlcuded)

I bought this 182 yesterday and test drove it through there with no sign of this noise so I believe it's happened on the way home (bumpy country roads etc) although I was driving relatively slow as I was a bit nervous.

It seems to only happen at slow speeds and sort of when braking, mainly coming from the passenger rear end. It doesn't happen if I reverse, only when going forward and doesn't matter if the car is in gear or neutral, in the video I tested both while rolling slowly down a hill.

I had a look and the passenger side brake pad is missing one of those little clips that hold it in, and the other is loose, could this be causing the knocking? Or does it sound like something else?

Not sure what section to put this in as it could be anything...

Here's the video.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4rVlUuXPuc[/video]

Any help is appreciated.

Clio sport 182
Check all wheel nuts are tight.
Grab drive shaft and see if it moves/has play in it. (Similar noise on my gfs old pug 206, was inner joint on shaft excessively worn)
Check anti roll bar link ends ( the rubbers that fix the anti roll bar to bottom arm)
And check ball joint (jack it up just enough to get a bar under wheel then get some one to lift and move wheel around with bar and you lay under car and look and see if ball joint moves)

Clio sport 182
The noise could be travelling down the chasis.

On back. Check shocker recoil. Check for oil.
Or jack car up, chock front wheels and put in gear then release hand brake and check bearing on back wheel.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
What sort of speed were you doing when the video was taken? If it was very slow I would check all the wheel bolts.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
He said from rear. From the video it sounds a very heavy noise, more accustomed to say a loose wheel, loose/shagged shock, coil spring failure and so on. Could even be an exhaust hanger fail and the exhaust is banging around.

Chris
​DetailMe

Exhaust is on tight, doesn't seem crashy/get any worse over speed bumps etc, only knocks when the car is moving slowly and doesn't happen when I'm reversing... :x The steering wheel position makes no difference either, the video was taken with the wheels straight.

I had that exact noise doing about 5 mph on my old car when swapping to new wheels. I hadn't tightened the front left bolts..... As everyone else said, check that first as it may only be that!

It's literally the exact same as this, probably a loose wheel then! :eek:

The car was mot'd the day before I bought it, possible the garage didn't tighten the wheels properly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Right so I jacked the car up, and the rear wheel definitely isn't loose, if anything the exact opposite... the wheel was a struggle to turn (with one hand mind) but shouldn't they spin freely? Car was in neutral and handbrake was off.

Here's a video... excuse the heavy breathing (f*cking wet and freezing!) and the scottish accent... the knock was still happening when I turned it by hand.

It's like the brakes are dragging?

Last edited by a moderator:
  Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
You need to check for play in that bearing. Hold the wheel 12 & 6 o'clock and 3 & 9 and push and pull etc. should be no play. From there you need to remove the wheel, and disassemble all the brakes including removing the discs. Note there is a spacer on the discs that get commonly fitted the wrong side of the discs or not fitted at all. It could be this!
​Chris

Will do. I'm going to order the brake pad clips and sort those first, if it doesn't fix the issue I'll see about getting new rear discs and fitting them myself.

Cheers for the help everone.

Really got no clue now.

I took the pads out, replaced the kit, wound piston in, checked bearing, definitely isn't that as the disk spins freely when the pads are off. I also made sure the pad/piston were lined up correctly.

It's like the pad closest to the piston isn't as secure as the other pad, it has a little bit of play... the knocking has improved A LOT since all this, but it's still there.

When money allows I'll get new rear discs/pads most likely, and see if that sorts it.