ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is Faster Vts or clio 172

MCS R56
This question seems to come up an awful lot, think VTS/GTI should have it's own section on the forum.

I'd have thought a traffic light grand prix between a modded saxo and an 1*2 would be very close and driver dependant. Over legal speed limits the 1*2 would pull away??

The GTi seems to be able to beat Clios and the VTS is faster than the GTi but the VTS is slower than the Clio!! Straight line anyway.

The 172 is quicker to 60, quicker to 100, not by much but is. 3 secs to 100.

Throw in corners and braking and it's very close. The Clio is a faster car though. And Clio drivers think they have the fastest cars too!

A Beautiful R32
I think the same, but then I have to remind myself i'm a married father now.

When I joined the club (Same time as you) I lived at home and thought my 172 was faster than sound itself.

We were all young once!

That is exactly it dude, I think I am just old. When I got the clio I didn't care what people thought, I bought it because it was awesome to drive. I have never been into that boy racer thing but I could always ignore it. I can't though these days, I hate it and I hate seeing it on the forum. More over, I hate having a cliosport sticker in the back window with some of the crap that people spam on this forum.

So yeah I'm too old, and I've grown up and out of the clio. Will post pics of the new car on Friday. You will like it. Night CS.

B

Bucko

I've never driven or encountered a Saxo VTS since owning my 172, but i don't think you can ignore the book figures pointing in the Clio's favour.

As for the 0-62 times, am i right in thinking it's a 3rd gear job in the Saxo which makes it look slower? Or is that the VTR?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Very stripped vts with saxsport, induction & manifold

vs.

Stripped 172 cup with ktec stealth & v6 airbox

F*ck all in it from 10-100 leptons.

Clio is faster though, fact. It will very slowly pull away below 100, then fastly pull away after 100 ... in gear the clio is faster as well due to torque, etc. Unless the saxo is above 4k rpm it will lose as well.

On track, well, the saxo is faster in the tighter stuff, the clio faster on the faster corners that rely more on grip than poise & adjustability. Essentially, its entirely down to driver. As with most things tbh.

If anyone actually wants a proper comparison between the two cars, based on personal experiences & the fact that half my best mates own 1*2's and i have a vts (& used to have a 172/182), fire me a pm.

If not, carry on your collective drivel :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
IS it a 2 prong?? Single plug??

;)

Oh Hai x

DSC02515.jpg

Single plug, two prong + magic fairy dust FTW ;)

535d / t5 caravelle
If anyone actually wants a proper comparison between the two cars, based on personal experiences & the fact that half my best mates own 1*2's and i have a vts (& used to have a 172/182), fire me a pm.

fire away pal, i'd like to know, cant decide between a williams/172/mi16 205 and now a bloody vts as a track toy lol, i get the feeling it would loose its legs come 4th gear ( the vts that is ) but then i supose your hitting a bend by then, so it wouldn't matter?

clio 172
Tell your mate his penis is clearly huge and he is actually more awesome than Ian Beale wearing a Bananaman costume.

hahaha agreed, instead of racing they should both get out the car and compare penis sizes then get on with there lives clearly what it comes down too, pride lol

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Ive owned both a GTi and VTS.

As Alan and Russ said, it would be down to the driver.

Theres no use offering up any comment if you have never driven any of these cars, they are very capable in the right hands (and worse for fuel than a 1*2)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Quite suprised people have put this down to the driver, went against my friends GTi a month or so ago, neither of us are Schumacker and both have been driving about the same amount of time.... From standing he couldn't beat me, even on countless runs, unless there was something up with the GTi? If not, the Clio is quicker.

Both of us have pretty much identical mods, SS exhaust with decat, and airfilter.

It was at the top end of the gears he lost out each time, he changed and I still had some to go. Around a track however, two VERY even cars.

PS 200
Quite suprised people have put this down to the driver, went against my friends GTi a month or so ago, neither of us are Schumacker and both have been driving about the same amount of time.... From standing he couldn't beat me, even on countless runs, unless there was something up with the GTi? If not, the Clio is quicker.

Both of us have pretty much identical mods, SS exhaust with decat, and airfilter.

It was at the top end of the gears he lost out each time, he changed and I still had some to go. Around a track however, two VERY even cars.
It's all about the driver and his attitude to death - hth.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
^^ PMSL! (aimed at dave)

Fastest there is FACT.

Knows ;)

fire away pal, i'd like to know, cant decide between a williams/172/mi16 205 and now a bloody vts as a track toy lol, i get the feeling it would loose its legs come 4th gear ( the vts that is ) but then i supose your hitting a bend by then, so it wouldn't matter?

As a track toy, ie something that will need to be built & repaired/spares bought for, etc, saxo wins everytime on cost. Purely to the ridiculous availability/cheapness of bits & bobs on sax-p/106owners. Yes, it hits a brick wall at 100mph, but if you are after fun, nothing else comes close for the money. Mine has cost just over £2.5k to build & its a very nice spec ... The way you feel at one with the car is fantastic, it really offers so much adjustability & feedback when stripped - something that i dont think the clio could ever match - purely down to the extra weight it carries around!

Mi16 205's are epic, but the handling can catch out the unwary & none of my mates ones have been particularly reliable, if your handy with the spanners though, they are very very quick round a track. Very pure as well.

Clio Williams, i've actually never driven one, so cant really comment, they are apparently a very good car, but im unsure on parts availability/cost, etc.

Hope that helps :D

Peugeot 308
I've owned two cammed VTS's and loved them both.

The one in my display pic being the pick of the two.

Full engine spec being:
Catcams (with remap)
Raceland Manifold
Supersprint race system
Modified airbox with CAF to removed fog.

147bhp and a revvy as fook TU lump!

Also changed the brakes for 206 Gti setup which was probably the best thing I done to it.

Would happily chase a 182 around all day :D

clio 172 phase 2
172 by a long way. My 172 standard is quicker than my standard 182 I sold a while while back. (Sold the 182 to free up some needed cash).

Also owned a vts about 5 years ago, it's quick for a 1600cc but in standard form is nowhere near a standard 172/182.

DMS

A thirsty 172
The GTi seems to be able to beat Clios and the VTS is faster than the GTi but the VTS is slower than the Clio!! Straight line anyway.

This is wrong. When are people going to learn that the 106 GTi and Saxo VTS are the SAME CAR! Both have the same 1,587cc 16v 120bhp TU5JP4 engine, same gearbox (except on some very late Saxo's) and same running gear.
Only difference besides some of the body panels, the standard wheels and the interior is that the 106 GTi has a slightly thicker rear anti-roll bar to give it a sharper turn in.
The official quoted figures are different because the 106 was tested at half load to bring the insurance group down. It was more expensive than the Saxo VTS when new so they had to do something to make it more appealing, otherwise they wouldn't have sold any.

And for the record, standard for standard, with the same person driving, the Clio is very slightly quicker.
On the other hand, the GTi/VTS respond much better to basic breathing mods than the 1*2's do. If both are driven well there's f**k all in it. Have a look on Youtube for Tiff Needell in a Saxo VTS vs Vicki Butler-Henderson in a Ph1 172, you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
  Ph2 172
i had a play with a 106 series 1 with a 16v gti engine in it with breathing mods... this thing was stripped bare to about 800kg easily... and i pulled away from it easily :D

DMS

A thirsty 172
If your car's standard, and he could have been bothered, it would have tore you a new one. There's a couple of stripped 16v S1's round here and a 172 is no match for them.

clio 172 phase 2
i had a play with a 106 series 1 with a 16v gti engine in it with breathing mods... this thing was stripped bare to about 800kg easily... and i pulled away from it easily :D
Sounds about right from past experience.

To many people get over excited with saxo vts and 106 gti's:rolleyes:

128bhp per tonne in standard form:rofl:

53 Clio's & counting
but your forgetting driver experience, engine health, gearing, etc blah bloody blah

This will go on all day, some saying some one of the other is faster, pointless thread now

DMS

A thirsty 172
Power to weight ratio isn't the be-all and end-all.
The gear ratios and where the engine makes its power need to be factored in too. Plus as standard they have smaller wheels which helps accelleration.

Fact of the matter is this. The Clio is quicker but not by as much as the figures might suggest.
And the 106 GTi / Saxo VTS still corners better (IMO) and is still the more fun car to drive round the twisties (h'actual FACT).

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Sounds about right from past experience.

To many people get over excited with saxo vts and 106 gti's:rolleyes:

128bhp per tonne in standard form:rofl:

Ah yes, but we are mostly talking about ones with breathing mods, so 135bhp at 825kg (stripped) = 165bhp per ton ;) People get excited as they are really rather good for the money.

In case you are wondering where i get my knowledge, here is slight insight into my previous ownership: 106 Gti, 106 Gti, Clio 182, 172 Cup, Saxo Vts

As such, im fairly well qualified in this area ... :rolleyes:

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Ah yes, but we are mostly talking about ones with breathing mods, so 135bhp at 825kg (stripped) = 165bhp per ton ;) People get excited as they are really rather good for the money.

In case you are wondering where i get my knowledge, here is slight insight into my previous ownership: 106 Gti, 106 Gti, Clio 182, 172 Cup, Saxo Vts

As such, im fairly well qualified in this area ... :rolleyes:

So you keep saying.

53 Clio's & counting
Well he is, half the people in this thread have either been in a passenger in a gti/vts or 'driven one once', the only people who can comment are people who have owned both, i have and i say there is bugger all difference in the real world, same as Dave has said.

There is no point saying 'well i raced this' 'i raced that' as you have no idea what that condition that car is in, even if it belongs to a mate.

Iv beaten a mates itb's VTS, but had a near standard one sit with me, as said racing one makes no difference as there are to many variables, only owners of both can give a fairly accurate description, but then its still not spot on as you can get a good one or bad one!