ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is this boot flap thing for?

2003 Cup 172
As the title suggests, there's two of these things and i've no idea what they are - they're behind the panel on the inside of the boot:

IMG_0590.jpg

Any ideas?

I've spent a few hours today stripping the rear of my car - all done apart from the passenger side rear - another half hour and it'll be gone. Took it for a test drive just now and was surprised how much you can now hear (well, not overly surprised as I was expecting it, I just wasn't sure what it would sound like) - anyway, this flap is flapping away like mad and actually makes quite a bit of noise. What's it's purpose? I want to get rid of it, or block it up so it doesn't flap and annoy me.

Cheers

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It stops a buildup of pressure when you shut the doors - if they were sealed up the pressure in the car would increase when you shut the door and make your ears pop.

Here they are from the outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
  182cup & 172 racecar
^^^ The above is spot on the money.

Also if you leave them out, you will get fumes back in the car. So don't throw them away.

Last edited:
  2003 Cup 172
hmmm, interesting. So has everyone who's stripped their car just left them in place and put up with the noise of them flapping? I was sat in my car after my drive just letting the car idle and it sounded like someone was clapping really fast behind me, it'll drive me insane.

What have everyone else done?

182cup & 172 racecar
We left then in the race car, as we don't want die with the fumes.

Take them out then, doesn't bother me what you do, but you have been told of there purpose, and what could happen if you remove them.

2003 Cup 172
I wasn't suggesting that I was going to do anything against their purpose after what you guys have said what they are there for. Was just curious if other people had this problem of them being really loud and if they had done anything about it (like an easy fix of making another vent elsewhere or something), that's all.

182cup & 172 racecar
Afraid you will just have to put up with them flapping. Must admit, our car is so noisy I've never noticed them anyway.

Good lad though for taking said advice. ;)

benkay

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Ph2 + Audi S3(8V)
Seal them shut and make sure you always have a window open when shutting the doors?

I think meganes could do with something like this (they probably have)as my old one used to blow the back window out when the doors were shut!! happened twice so i got shot of it lol.

Windscreen bloke said it was something to do with the air pressure having no where to go and the shape of the rear glass??