ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is this?

F56 MINI Cooper S
What is this thing in the engine bay? (thing I'm pointing to)

DSC00209.gif

It is rattling a lot, and is very noticable when moving forward/reversing, making a rattling noise. It is really loose and shouldn't be like this.

Any ideas on whats occuring here, is it a bolt connecting this or has it sheered off?

Can also hear it when inside the car with the window down.

Any help much appreciated.

Jordi.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Garage? No, no need.

You do however NEED to tighten them up as if it rattles off you'll lose the bolts and result in a big lump of metal flying around in the bay.

Have you got a halfords tool kit?

You need the medium sized ratchet, shortest extension and either the 10 or 13mm long socket.

F56 MINI Cooper S
Cant find any bolts, apart from the ones laying on top of the cover which are not connected to this atall. Where abouts am I looking? At the front? underneath? Its bad when I rev it up!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Cant find any bolts, apart from the ones laying on top of the cover which are not connected to this atall. Where abouts am I looking? At the front? underneath? Its bad when I rev it up!

Where your finger is on the photo look down on the 'front' of the block of metal and you will see a number of holes.

The bolts are up two of them, you won't 'see' them as they are inside the guard.

You need a ratchet with a small extension bar on to get at them.

225 Cup & Williams
There is holes on the front of it. There should be 2 13mm nuts inside 2 separate holes. Tighten them up and your sorted.

Below the metal face that your finger is pointing at there are 3 holes. 2 of them contain bolts... You will need a longer than average socket though!

F56 MINI Cooper S
Ok so inside two of those 3 holes? Theres three holes along the front of it, the far left and far right ones? I put my hand down there but couldnt feel anything

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Ok so inside two of those 3 holes? Theres three holes along the front of it, the far left and far right ones? I put my hand down there but couldnt feel anything

You won't, your finger won't be long enough.

You can see the holes better on this picture:

IMG_2478.jpg

F56 MINI Cooper S
Right found it. One of the bolts has come off completly, the other one is almost come off hence it being loose as fcuk. Havnt got the tools to fix it though typically.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Just keep an eye on it, so long as its secure just for now you should be good.

Just don't loose the bolts or leave it to long that it falls off into the bay.

Get the tools and it will take 30sec to sort.

F56 MINI Cooper S
So if it falls off completely i'm fcuked, or can I simply but it back on?

Plus I have something else laying in my engine bay, think its the alarm, its just laying there conneccted to nothing which is odd

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
If its just the sounder for the alarm that's ok

Have you got a socket set? You should be able to get it done with any old kit.

It's pretty hard to just fall off tbh, have you still got the bolt? Or has it gone?

Most of the guys that break Clio's on here should be able to send you one for a £ or so.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
It's not a good idea to remove the guard. It protects the fuel rail. If you lose the studs then you can either get second hand from someone breaking a car or buy new from Renault dealers.

F56 MINI Cooper S
Ye just one of the nuts have come off the screw, so its loose as fcuk, keeps rattling. Need to book my car into Renault for some warranty work so will mention it then