ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What lenses to keep/sell?!! Help me choose!!!

I need to free up some funds and my lens are all in a bit of an overlapping muddle so some need to go!

Firstly, my 50mm f1.4 is staying put - can't be without a 50!!

Next comes the choice!

18-200 VR MKII - great lens for doing a bit of everything, surprisingly sharp for a superzoom.

OR

16-85 VR & 70-300 VR combo - 16-85 is a very nice lens, best built out of them all and handling is excellent. Trouble is, I have found that when on a walkabout the extra reach of the 18-200 may have come in useful. When it comes to the 70-300, I thought the difference between 200 and 300 would be very noticiable, but it does not seem that way. No doubt it does reach further than the 18-200, but not WOW thats far kinda way!

Trouble is, there is pro's and cons of both set ups, but I really do haveto sell either the 18-200 or the two lens set up.

Its a pretty big decision to make, so hoping some CS photo people will share their views on this matter.

At the end of the day I need to decide whats best for me, but nothing wrong with gathering some CS knowledge to help me decide!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I don't think it's that big a deal.

200 on a crop is pretty far.. the detail should be there to crop it on the computer when you're back home without affecting the quality too much.

Also, they're just assets. Not like you sell them, you can't ever get another one again is it ?!

Sell what you need to get the money you need and re-assess later on in the year if you need to save up / reinvest.

No biggy ;)

I'm sort of swaying the 2 lens route, as ultimatley, although the 18-200 is great all round lens, I can't help feel that I will be missing out on a bit of sharpness. Decision time this weekend. Probably change my mind 10 time over by then.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Do you ever intend to upgrade the body?

Point your lens upgrades towards the body you intend having "one day" ;)