ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I need two new lenses. Help me out, my heads hurting.

AUDI A5 s-sline
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a new lens, possibly two! A decent zoom and possibly another. I have read multiple threads and sites but still seem confused! [confused]

I have a nikon d3100 and i was looking at the sigma 70-300mm just for basic long length if needed.

I will mainly be taking photos of cars and the odd dog, haha. What's the best lens for car shot in good light and low light.

I have a tripod but only the basic kit lens. I would really like some new glass. Any suggestions?

any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I go to a camera club/photographic society and there was a woman speaking last night and she said she had a 18-200 vr lens which she said was pin sharp all the way through.
I'm not convinced but apparently it is.
Not sure how much they are, or how much you have to spend.

She's apparently a well respected photographer who has given talks around the world, won various competitions etc and then she said.... Always shoot on P. I think I stopped listening to her as much after that.

AUDI A5 s-sline
Well,I was looking at maybe getting second hand from ebay. Or new.

Probably up to 150 each.

You may be better off maligning it £300 for one lens.

My 18-200mm i always found pretty sharp for an all rounder. Could be the way to go.

I go to a camera club/photographic society and there was a woman speaking last night and she said she had a 18-200 vr lens which she said was pin sharp all the way through.
I'm not convinced but apparently it is.
Not sure how much they are, or how much you have to spend.

She's apparently a well respected photographer who has given talks around the world, won various competitions etc and then she said.... Always shoot on P. I think I stopped listening to her as much after that.

Well P is for professional....

If the 18-200 was pin sharp throughout Nikon wouldn't need to make any primes! Its not its a compromise lens!

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a new lens, possibly two! A decent zoom and possibly another. I have read multiple threads and sites but still seem confused! [confused]

I have a nikon d3100 and i was looking at the sigma 70-300mm just for basic long length if needed.

I will mainly be taking photos of cars and the odd dog, haha. What's the best lens for car shot in good light and low light.

I have a tripod but only the basic kit lens. I would really like some new glass. Any suggestions?

any help is appreciated!

Easy buy the Tamron 17-50 2.8 should pick one up second hand for your budget
Easy #2 buy the Tamron 70-300 USD, you might be able to get one in your budget.

180.5 bhp 172
I have a Canon, and I use an 18-200 as my main lens, but also have a 50mm 1.8 Mk2.

You need a 50mm fixed focus. End of.
I was dubious before I got one, as everyone raved about them, I didn't think much of it - as soon as I got one...wow! The shots you can get are stunning. Well worth the money.

Oh, and save some cash. go to: www.digitalrev.com and buy your gear through them. They also have a VERY good youtube channel.
Comes from Hong Kong in 2 days (!!!) and at almost half RRP!

AUDI A5 s-sline
That's for all the feedback.

Nick172sport. i have been looking at the 50mm but as I have a nikon I'd have to manually focus because the auto focus motor isn't in the body.

whats the 50mm like to auto focus?

180.5 bhp 172
OR buy through www.panamoz.com I have bought a Tamron 70-200mm VC & Nikon D610 through them, both times their customer service is spot on (and cheaper than digital rev lol).

From everything on my last order on DigitalRev, I cant find anything on Panamoz that's cheaper...:S

Harribo66, I can only speak for the Canon 50mm, but its really fast and accurate on AF.
I'll upload some pics later from my 50mm, as im taking the dog out now and was going to take some pics anyway :)