ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What made you choose A Clio sport?

LY 182
The above question to you people out there, interesting to see some feedback.
ive had 3 106's last being a gti great car now selling my 330 for a Clio sport. Reason being they look the nuts and everyone who owns/owned one speaks highly of them. Down to handling and how nippy they are.

Arctic Blue 182
Was within my budget. Had good reviews and wanted something, small and fast. After the test drive I was impressed so bought it from the bloke. That was 7 years ago and I still love driving it :)

phase 1 flamer 172
Wanted small nippy hot hatch with 2 ltr engine, no rust oh and affordable, nothing else came close.

I'd put my choice down to stupidity.

But in all honesty, I was fed up of being told I had to have a turbo car and I had to go German or Jap.

I had lots of fun in my 182 so got a 197, the only other cars that I'd consider buying cost double the price.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
wanted something small and unassuming that went well.

to the mass populous, its a shitty 1.2 clio, so they have no issues pulling out on you on the m/way, not realising your kissing 100mph (or more)
to those in the know, tis a proper car.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Passed test, drove mams 1.2 Clio. They sold that, drove dads 1.5 Clio, I killed that so bought a 1.4 Clio (as I was comfortable/familiar with them)... Joined up here and wanted a rb 182, but then I realised I didn't want another mk2 so got an r27 instead.

Renaultsport clio

Listerine & Poledo
I had to offload a detonating MG.
Needed something that the ex could drive without killing herself in (so not another MX5)
Liked the idea of having leather, cruise, climate and xenons.

Then at the first opportunity, off-loaded it for Listerine.
Wouldn't have another, especially MK.2's, the reputation is right down there with Saxos... IMO

Only exception: R27 in LY, with all the body trimming and options fitted.

LY 182
I had to offload a detonating MG.
Needed something that the ex could drive without killing herself in (so not another MX5)
Liked the idea of having leather, cruise, climate and xenons.

Then at the first opportunity, off-loaded it for Listerine.
Wouldn't have another, especially MK.2's, the reputation is right down there with Saxos... IMO

Only exception: R27 in LY, with all the body trimming and options fitted.

I disagree with that. If you see a really well looked after example that has been modified subtly. They look the nuts. Where as 80% of Saxo drivers just drive there car like a complete idiot and try and race anything that's a hatch back.

Listerine & Poledo
I disagree with that. If you see a really well looked after example that has been modified subtly. They look the nuts. Where as 80% of Saxo drivers just drive there car like a complete idiot and try and race anything that's a hatch back.

errrrrr.

You've seen some of the "project" threads in this place yeah?
The "OEM+" brigade aren't so bad, although the changes can be so subtle you wonder if they've just spent their money on magic beans.
Then there's the group who seem to think banging 5x the worth of their sensible family hatchback into parts makes it really sik, but to the independant 3rd party, looks like an ASBO on wheels.
In fairness, I could level the same argument against a myriad of MX5 owners/ricers.

Clio 200
Needed a cheap second car, but thought that I might as well get one with a little poke. Bought a 182 without ever having driven one and fell in love with it immediately. It's now my car of choice for a quick blast.

FF Racing Blue 182
Never set my eyes on a RS Clio until my brother a bought brand new 172 in 2002. From that moment on i knew i had to get one.

Wanted a new car and it was the best thing around at the time within my budget. I wasn't disappointed. Had amazing fun in it on road and track. Then I became successful and moved on. Just at the right time as well, because they became charver buckets shortly thereafter.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Wanted a new car and it was the best thing around at the time within my budget. I wasn't disappointed. Had amazing fun in it on road and track. Then I became successful and moved on. Just at the right time as well, because they became charver buckets shortly thereafter.

I always laugh at people who associate 'success' with what you drive. I expected you to have a slightly broader outlook on life Munson. Clearly not.

In answer to the OP, bought it as a track day project.

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I always laugh at people who associate 'success' with what you drive. I expected you to have a slightly broader outlook on life Munson. Clearly not.

In answer to the OP, bought it as a track day project.

I can't believe someone as intelligent as you bit at that tbh! Shame on you....

OT; I worked at Renault and one came in px. (X404HOU) and I bought it because it was so mint, it looked lush on the forecourt! It was £5500 iirc. That car was my reason for joining this forum, my reason for starting trackdays and the start of my obsession with cars.

Got a lot to fcuking answer for that car....

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I can't believe someone as intelligent as you bit at that tbh! Shame on you....

OT; I worked at Renault and one came in px. (X404HOU) and I bought it because it was so mint, it looked lush on the forecourt! It was £5500 iirc. That car was my reason for joining this forum, my reason for starting trackdays and the start of my obsession with cars.

Got a lot to fcuking answer for that car....

Lol! It's been a long day old fruit, a long, long day :(

I watched the Evo Magazine review of the Clio 182 Trophy on Youtube, I realised I needed a 182 after this!
The main thing that attracted me was the handling and speed for the money!

When I met my misses, she had a Flame Red 172..

profilepic26039_21.jpg

As soon as I drove it I was smitten, loved that car so much at the time, owning your own can be a little.. expensive.. however I feel committed to it??

PB172,dci100,dci65
bought a dci65 as my first car only because i wanted a car with aircon, abs, airbags. My employer just had one for sale, that I was driving, so why not :). It was a great clio, and I am still taking care of it. Then in 3 years i found out that there was also a dci100 available, but not in slovakia, so i boung one from germany, best value for money if you drive a lot IMO. Later on i was looking for an RS Clio. A friend was selling his 172...tested it, and here we go another clio. Somehow i start liking the mk4. 5 doors can be usefull. But I wait for some Gordini or how will it be called:)

225 meg
My neighbour .GAZ. had a titanium ph1 at the time and I just loved everything about, the look, the stance, the noise, don't think I had ever seen one till I saw his and at the time I was saving for a car, after speaking to gary about them and about this site I just had to have one so bought a PB ph2

unfortunately I had to let her go because we were expecting our 2nd child, would take it back in a heart beat

172 Cup Track Daily
Started out with a mk1 1.2 that I kept mint and it looked fantastic. Progressed to a Williams that was broken all of the time but the sillyness of it was what truly hooked me on Clios.

Deviated for a bit and dabbled in the drifting scene which I also love, but after realising I could afford the car I aspired to have all those years ago (a Mk2 172 cup) and taking one for a test drive again after years of being away... I bought it instantly.

Looks, handling, cheapness, noise at full chat that never hesitates to give me a smile.. that's why I have it.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
My neighbour @.GAZ. had a titanium ph1 at the time and I just loved everything about, the look, the stance, the noise, don't think I had ever seen one till I saw his and at the time I was saving for a car, after speaking to gary about them and about this site I just had to have one so bought a PB ph2

unfortunately I had to let her go because we were expecting our 2nd child, would take it back in a heart beat
It was an Iceberg Ph1 I had at the time. ;)

clio 182 trophy
Went in a mates 172 years ago and loved it. Always wanted a 172/182 from then on. As soon as I could afford one I went looking. A tidy Trophy came up quite local and I went to test it. Absolutely loved it so paid the extra for a Trophy. Still got it over 4 years later. People can be as snobby and ignorant as they like about them, I couldn't give a toss, very capable car on roads they were designed to drive on. Love them.

I went with my sister to pick up her corsa and at the same garage there was a 182 parked up and as soon i saw it i knew i'd own one eventually but didnt think i would get insured on a sport at 19. i went home looked at quotes and a few months later i bought my 172 cup :)