ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What power can be achieved without boost or throttle bodies - 172/182

Clio 182 FF
Always wondered, on a healthy maintained engine what sort of power can be achieved without throttle bodies or boost? What's the best way to go about it?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
assuming you're including engine internals in the allowed list, about 210-215bhp with high compression pistons, wild cams, headwork, and quite heavily reworked inlet manifold (and some extra parts for strength and reliability) You'll be needing aftermarket management at this level too or it will drive like a dog.

If you're meaning mods to a stock engine, cams, breathing mods (exhaust and proper air filter setup) matched inlets and a good map can see 190-195

Clio 182 FF
Just saw the bottom bit, yeah that's what I was meaning. Should be quick enough at 190ish bhp i reckon!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
200bhp is achievable with just an RS2 and set of correctly timed 197 cams if you use the right exhaust, there have been a couple done like that now.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So your saying 197 cams in a 1*2 can make more power that after markets if run with correct mods?

No, im saying that they work very well with the RS2, if you ran aftermarket cams with an RS2 you could get more again, but would need to be on aftermarket and it wouldnt be as nice power delivery.
IME the Rs2 and 197 cams is the best combination for a daily clio based on how I like them to drive, its not the only option though, just one I personally like.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ah okay, sounds promising! Guessing you would still get 5k kick as well? Might have to look into it

No, you get utterly no kick at all, its just a completely smooth delivery really.
In fact on Mike's IIRC there was no more than about 3lbft of variation anywhere between 3k and nearly 8k

If you like the "feels a bit flat, bang big kick, goes ok briefly, nothing again" of the standard engine you would hate it as its the total opposite.

Clio 182 FF
Yeah I kinda like the kick :) i guess its a personal thing. what about a set of 421's as regards to the 5k kick?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I guess if you really want the kick (which is mainly caused by the utter lack of it doing anything below there) you could get a car with a normally decent power delivery like an RS2 one mapped particuarly badly under 5k to replicate it and then still gain the benefits at the top end of the rev range?
Or you could just drive at half throttle till 5K then floor it if you really dont want any torque under that?

Yeah 421s are still quite a peaky delivery like the standard ones if ran on the standard inlet.

Clio 182 FF
Haha! To be fair I've never driven a clio with any sort of cam work done so i shouldn't rule any of them out lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Here is -J- graph before and after RS2.

You can see the "5K kick" (which would be better named a "sub 5k hole" really)

pebaquqa.jpg

You could easily map it to still be equally gash under 5K if you wanted though, and then just have the gains at the top end.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sorry to ask but what is an RS2 ?

A replacement inlet manifold designed to work with the standard Ecu and just a remap rather than needing aftermarket management like bodies do.
Expensive but simple bolt on mod that is easily reversible.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
You will not miss that kick. I went out with Tom (of JMS) with the first RS2 and the power delivery was brilliant, constant torque just pulls and pulls to the redline. He really did design a bit of brilliance there. And Nick had great results even before mapping.

I never drove it but given my 330 has almost exactly the same shape graph on the rolling road, I can imagine the improvements to driving over a standard 1*2 would have been huge.

172 Rally Car
What sort of modifications to you have to be performed to the head and standard inlet.to achieve good power?

Its appealing to be mainly as I don't want £1000 plus stuck at the front of my car asking to.get smashed in a bump.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I've done a couple where the port shape and size has been completely changed in both the head and inlet manifold. It's the level of work I would only really do for a high compression build though. A little bit over the top for a stock bottom end. Mostly my heads are worked to include an enlarged exhuast port (ph1 style) and a tidying of the inlet, then matched to the inlet to be used (be that ITBs or reworked stock manifold)

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
I've done a couple where the port shape and size has been completely changed in both the head and inlet manifold. It's the level of work I would only really do for a high compression build though. A little bit over the top for a stock bottom end. Mostly my heads are worked to include an enlarged exhuast port (ph1 style) and a tidying of the inlet, then matched to the inlet to be used (be that ITBs or reworked stock manifold)

Dan, when reworking the standard inlet manifold are you able to rework it fully to be optimum? Or is there a compromise so to speak due to the construction of the upper half?

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Here is -J- graph before and after RS2. You can see the "5K kick" (which would be better named a "sub 5k hole" really)
pebaquqa.jpg
You could easily map it to still be equally gash under 5K if you wanted though, and then just have the gains at the top end.

​Like the look of this graph, I like it smooth as opposed to laaaag and woahhh