ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what shall i get 1.4 16v or 1.6 16v

None

As above - wanna get a new car - pls dont start saying get a v6/172/182 etc lol cos im only 20 and wouldnt be able to afford the insurance :p

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

GET A 1.6! makes all the difference, plus us 1.6rs are the rarest breed of all! muahahah

also if u dont wanna get beat by vtrs make sure the 1.6 is ur choice.

[Edited by David on 18 June 2004 at 11:21am]

Personally Id go for the 1.4 as they are very impressive for a 1.4, plus cheaper insurance than a 1.6 and only 10bhp down on them.

i didnt think there was that much in it between the 1.4 and 1.6

so id probably go for the 1.4 as it should be cheaper insurance and more economical to run

i driven both (dads got the 1.4 and me the 1.6). Yeah the 1.4 is nippy, and 10bhp dont sound like much.....BUT it is!

There is quite a noticeable difference, plus the 1.6 comes with stiffer suspension, nice alloys, wider tyres etc. It is also quicker than the stats say.

I doubt youll find one unhappy 1.6 owner on here.

HTH

ST

I think the 1.4 is around a group 4/5, the 1.6 am guessin a group 7/8?

Plus with the 1.4 you could put a full stainless on it and a BMC or viper, and youd prob make up that 10BHP, but still have the cheaper insurance.

None

Just done a quick qoute on a 1.4 16v - was only 480ish, which aint 2 bad my 1.2 just qouted 435ish - both cars with no mods, tpft and with 2 years ncd, no claims, convs etc - for a 20 year old - prob could get it cheaper still. Just had a qoute on a 1.6 si (the car i wanna get) qoute come up with.... 481.98 tpft - wtfs going on that cant be right lol

be careful with the 1.6si. Some of them are only 8vs. It was only from about 2000 onwards that the 1.6 all become 16v, up til then it was on the rsi and 16v models that did.

Check parkers, its more explanatory on there.

None

I did qoute it on a 2000 model - will check again tho. What year did they start making the 172 in? the Si 16v still coming up with 481ish

None

Wouldnt want comp cover to be honest would only prob get between a 1998 and 2001 and this wont be at least until a years time when ive got the money

ex Clio 172 owner :(

I think if its valued at more than £5000 then fully comp is compulsary. Personally I would never go tpft unless I have a banger. The difference in tpft and fc here is probably about another £500 but worth it if you write off the car. Tpft youll get nothing back, fc you will. If youre trying to bring down your quote try someone like elephant, add a second driver (often brings the quote down tonnes), try going for maximum excess and even a 10 month bonus accelerator policy. The best tip I can give you is try the second driver - works on elephant. Try a female, 40+, with no points or accidents for max effect. Knocks £100 off mine (28y/o VTS driver 4 yncb) and knocked £400 off my mates Puma.

As for the original question, Id go 1.4, cheaper petrol, tax, insurance. Theyre not that bad, I used to have a 1.4 8v RT, was a good car.

[Edited by Chris1.4RT on 18 June 2004 at 2:00pm]

The new 1.4 and 1.6 are very similar case tyres suspension etc.

The 1.4 is ~group 6 and 1.6 about 14 I think but youll need to ring the insurance companies they might be very litttle difference.

The 1.6 has the extra 10hp and more torque but is 95% the same engine as the 1.4 just depedns which one you want the 1.6 costs more but is it worth it only you can decide.

What other NCB have you got insurance wise you might be able to get an older 172 and the saved money pay the difference in insurance. Older Mk2 1 Clios are going for under £6.5k now and even the Mk2 2 are getting down to £8.5 or less. Its worth a try anyway as youll be paying a fair bit anyway on insuracne so a 172 might not be as big as jump from a 1.6 as you might believe.