ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What should I be paying for........

Megane 225 baby! :)

I had my 36k service done yesterday and have been told that I need a couple of things doing to my car, I was wondering if anyone can tell me a ballpark price that I should be looking at for the part, fitting and vat for the following:

Right, I need to have my offside road spring replaced and also my rear brake pads replacing, usually I would just let the garage do it but not too happy with them @ the mo (long story!).

Thx in advance! :D

y dont u replace the sring urself theres a guide on the home page! if not ur proberly lookin around £40 fittin and dunno how much renault charge for springs!

Brake pads wont be that expensive around £30 i should imagine

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

rear pads? really? be careful with this one as renault charge you loads to do this fairly simple job (as my local car spares shop charges about £9 for a set of pads)

spring? does the car ride poorly? sounds abit odd at 36k. might be a good time to fit eibachs

again why dont you do it your self there is a full guide in the diy section

Okay - fitting them myself sounds fine in principle but am more than likely not doing that as it will end up being worse than what it started as not at all confident!!!!

Been quoted the following - can someone tell me if are they taking the p*ss?

First garage: (dealer)
To fit Offside Front Road Spring - £179.56
Rear Brake Pads - £86.01

Second garage: (independent)
Offside spring - £171.00
Brake Pads - £120.00

Third garage: (dealer)
Spring - £143.00
Brakes - £98.47

HELP!!!!!

Jesus! Its one frigging spring for gods sake, how much do they want to charge?!

Then again, it is a 172.

Maybe look into getting some lower suspension if one is broke...good excuse.

Also what do places like K-tec and BB tuning etc charge for fitting suspension kits? Maybe a good idea to check with them. Probably cheeper to get suspension kit and get it fitted by one of them than to get all the same suspension changed by renault. Of course thats not what you need, but its something you might want to consider.

Oh and when you took it to the other garages did you ask them to check to see if these problems where actually there?

Paul

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

f**king hell!! mate thats crazy!!

do not let them charge you over £250 for a job that costs very little to do

why dont you try phoning them up and asking how much a spring is and a set of rear pads are?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

The rear pad would be easy to do yourself to surely ? all you need is a caliper wind back tool, even then you could probably force it back with a makeshift tool (making sure not to damage the caliper)

just remove the retaining pin, slot out the old pad, in with the new put the retainer back in, easy. I am in no way mechanically minded but 9quid for pads + 20min max to fit sounds a better option to me.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

it would cost me less than £30 for a spring to be fitted. and bads £30 again.

Should cost no more than £60. no more than 2 hrs labour.

It aint rocket science or labour intensive.

The Jinx

Shouldnt they be replacing both springs if theres a problem. I know its not something they have to do, but I thought it was usually recommended that both sides be done.

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 13 May 2003

The rear pad would be easy to do yourself to surely ? all you need is a caliper wind back tool, even then you could probably force it back with a makeshift tool (making sure not to damage the caliper)

just remove the retaining pin, slot out the old pad, in with the new put the retainer back in, easy. I am in no way mechanically minded but 9quid for pads + 20min max to fit sounds a better option to me.
All sounds good in principle KDF but I know that it will all go completely wrong and then would end up paying through the nose to get it fixed - I know I sound a wuss but never done anything like before!!! :oops:

Tom - The spring is £72.10 + vat and was told that the pads were £41.13 + vat - all the rest is labour charges - <A target=_blank href= "mailto:b@stards">b@stards! :mad:

Might have to give K-Tec a ring as they are pretty near me! Didnt even cross my mind - doh!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

£72?

£41!!!!

Ok well 4 springs from k-tec are £79

and uprated(kevlar) rear pads are £25

euro car parts are £10 for a set of rear pads!!!

im so glad you put this up it just shows what a rip off this world is

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Well on a scale of 1 to 10 for easyness i would give it a 1/10 but I understand if you want to get it done professionaly

Next time I replace my pads I will take pics and put together a guide (hopfully as good as the one for lowering)

Hey mate if your going to contact K-Tec will you tell me how much they are wanting to fit the suspension please. I am going to be getting a suspension kit for my little RT and I dont have the spring hold it tight or it might take your face off tool.

Paul

Renault Laguna Coupe

Sawa - I got all my springs replaced for £40 (labour). Any Kwik-fit type place will do your pads. The price of the spring itself is also crazy - a set of Eibachs is only about £120 and thats for all 4!. Find a local garage to do the work - youll save a fortune.

Okay - latest update!

Just spoke to David @ KTec and the verdict is:

4 KTecsprings £79 - which will lower my car by 25/30mm!!! :eek: + labour + vat

Brake Pads - £25 + labour + vat - which can be done @ the same time as the above!!! - all in all the car should be with them for about 3-4 hours!!!

They can supply me with other springs which wont lower my car as much which are slightly more expensive!

Decisions, decisions - has anyone else got these springs? If so can you tell me if they are okay over speed bumps etc as have to go over quite a few!

Renault Laguna Coupe

25-30mm will be fine - about the same as the Eibachs - youll hardly notice the drop, though your handling will improve. Also leaves you plenty of room for 17" wheels if you ever want them. Did David say how much the labour would be?

Also, if you have lowering springs fitted youll need to get your wheel alignment corrected.

S2000

You sure it does actually need rear pads cos various dealers nearly always tell me they need doing every time it goes in and they dont. Rear pads are only about 5-7mm thick or something when new. Have a look how much you have left.

Slugger - As Im not really an expert on these things (as you have probably been able to tell!!!), have just got to go on what they say! They said that the rears are 95% worn and the fronts are 20% worn!

Looks like I am going have to go with this as the maths (over £100 less and get 4 springs done!) and the logic point in the right direction but would be grateful if anyone has these springs if they could post a pic up so I can get a feel for what Im about to do!!!

Thanks a million everyone! :D

Thanks for that Mike, you are a (y)!!!!

Looks like my car is about to drop!!! 4 springs for the price of 1 plus the brake pads - got to be done I feel!

KTec - Here I come!!! This from the girl who wanted her car to stay standard!!! ;)

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Sawa172 on 13 May 2003

This from the girl who wanted her car to stay standard!!! ;)
Its all downhill from here Sawa - once youve tasted the forbidden fruit called modding!