ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What should I expect for 3 grand these days...

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
A little while ago I made some threads looking @ spending around 3k on a 172, general consensus was to get a tidy phase 1, but I know long term I'd be happier with the looks and interior of the phase 2, which was kinda out of budget at the time.

Well, I'm no richer, but the credit crunch is in full swing (don't you love those two words lol) - so, was wondering what I *should* be expecting if I was to pay 3k on a Clio 172. Ideally it'd be a phase 2, but condition wise, milage wise, service history, owners etc - basically, a minter or a dog? See some bargains, then nothing in between, then some expensive ones, so thought I'd ask the experts!

Thanks guys :)

You'll be lucky to get a mint Ph2 172 for £3k.

A crashed one or one thats been to the moon and back, maybe.

Bus w**ker
Ph1s appear to be going from anywhere between £1800 to £3000 atm. They book at about £2200 I think and that sort of price sounds about reasonable to me for a Ph1.

I've seen a few early Ph2s, but not really interested in them myself so I've only glanced, going for around £2700-£3000 and I'm sure as long as you check the car over and follow the buying guides I'd expect you'll find a good motor for that sort of cash.

titanium ph1
for 3k you can easily get a mint ph2 172 these days!seen loads sell for between 2.5-3k wiv low miles an fsh etc.

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
Sounds good to me! Cheers for the replies guys.

Thought I'd ask as there seem to be a fair few around 3000 or just over on the trader now with around 60k.. thats fine providing the cars in good shape and mechanically sound.

Here's hoping! :D

for 3k you can easily get a mint ph2 172 these days!seen loads sell for between 2.5-3k wiv low miles an fsh etc.
Not that i've seen.

3k is likely to get you a rough mk2 172 on about 80k tbh. 4k upwards will get you a minter.

FPOS Productions™ 172 FR
i got my flamer for £3350. 52k on the clock... runs mint, few stone chips, no dings, no accident damage....

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
Some nice cars in the links, a lad I know's just got a 182 both cup packs, 04 plate for 4k and had no trouble in the few weeks he's had the car.. some bargains on the trader hence me asking on here.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/841583.htm this one sounds pretty good.. I just need another couple of months get my finances in order and hope I drop on something nice :D

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
I do want silver :) I'm not one for washing cars lol, silver looks cleaner for longer - does me!

106... quick for what they are but would feel like a downgrade going from a tidy Corsa 1.6 Sport, quicker but worse build and feel a bit too lightweight for my liking, prefer the 172, bit more grown up if thats at all possible for a small car :)

I saw that one for 2200.. if you've got a mate in the bodyshop trade it'd be a nice buy methinks, few hundred spent on paint etc :)

Golf GT TDI
I do want silver :) I'm not one for washing cars lol, silver looks cleaner for longer - does me!

106... quick for what they are but would feel like a downgrade going from a tidy Corsa 1.6 Sport, quicker but worse build and feel a bit too lightweight for my liking, prefer the 172, bit more grown up if thats at all possible for a small car :)

I saw that one for 2200.. if you've got a mate in the bodyshop trade it'd be a nice buy methinks, few hundred spent on paint etc :)

i paid £3000 for my 53 plate silver 172 full dealer history 1 owner 62k not a dent or scratch on it still smells new inside and its got cruise control / speed limiter:cool: that was back in september!

DSC00295.jpg

BMW E46 330i Touring
You get what you pay for 90% of the time. I'm not saying you can't get a bargain but IMO a car being advertising for, say £2,995 with 40k on the clock and in 'mint' condition won't be as good as the seller insists.

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
Definitely a good buy, looks exactly like what I want! A nice standard car :D All I'd do to my own over time is eibach springs and a cat back exhaust for a nice subtle sound :)

Really like that car, lucky buy indeed :D

Golf GT TDI
thanks
it was listed wrong on ebay it had a buy it now for £4350 and £3000 starting bid no reserve so i stuck £3100 on it expecting it to sell for at least £3600 but as the seconds ticked away i thought surely i cant win this..... then i did lol when i rang him he said he was a bit dissapointed but oh well!

Golf GT TDI
thanks mate;) good luck with the search. i will let you know if i see anything. that monico for £2200 looks good full s/h to

M

mini-valver

Belts are £500 though and ALL 172's are due now (except the uber rare and late 04 plates) so budget for that.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Watch these cheap ones though...

I tried for a few before getting mine and got replies along the lines of "Hi yeah, I live in Italy..." stopped reading :dapprove:

RB + LY 182 FF
I have just bought my 2nd Clio sport 172 on monday, hpi accident clear. no dents,scrapes etc,52 plate,silver FRSH, both belts just done, with service, 12 mnth MOT n TAX, 62k on clock, imaculate inside and out. all reciepts,2x keys. £2,800.
so there are bargains to be had out there..

RB 182
Think my flamer on an 02 with 90k on it's worth £3.42 looking at this thread

Im tempted by that Monaco tho!!

Not that i've seen.

3k is likely to get you a rough mk2 172 on about 80k tbh. 4k upwards will get you a minter.

+100000

A few people on here have negotiated good ones but your always going to get that.
The majority around that figure will be snotters. You need the best part of £3k to get a decent ph1.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Same old story, you get what you pay for.

For £3,000 id be looking elsewhere tbh, a Saxo VTS would be first port of call if you really dont want a Phase 1 172. I dont see what the big problem is about the phase 1.

Its got a dated interior....

Well i dont know about anyone else that bought/owns a phase 1 but i didnt buy it to look at the dashboard whilst driving it, or moaning that the seats are too soft/hard

I bought it because its a laugh to drive, its quick, its returning very good mpg when i want it to and it cost me £3800, an absolutle bargain when i bought it nigh-on a year ago, well considering it was nearly 16k when it was new

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Same old story, you get what you pay for.

For £3,000 id be looking elsewhere tbh, a Saxo VTS would be first port of call if you really dont want a Phase 1 172. I dont see what the big problem is about the phase 1.

Its got a dated interior....

Well i dont know about anyone else that bought/owns a phase 1 but i didnt buy it to look at the dashboard whilst driving it, or moaning that the seats are too soft/hard

I bought it because its a laugh to drive, its quick, its returning very good mpg when i want it to and it cost me £3800, an absolutle bargain when i bought it nigh-on a year ago, well considering it was nearly 16k when it was new
honestly mate? £3000 on a saxo! i stopped reading after that.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
honestly mate? £3000 on a saxo! i stopped reading after that.

Its not everyone's idea of fun but honestly mate, as much fun can be had in a Saxo VTS as a 172 and that im certain of!

Alot of people slate them, call them this and that, but...

Unless you have driven one then its hard to convince someone that doesnt like them otherwise.

As the lad said, he doesnt want a Phase 1 due to the interior and thats fair play it isnt everyones cup of tea, i would rather a newer VTS with less miles than an older 172 with higher miles for £3000 or there-abouts!

This is just me though, alot will disagree to the hilt but hey-ho lol

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Unless you have driven one then its hard to convince someone that doesnt like them otherwise.
i drove one bout year and a half ago and i enjoyed a 106 gti so much more.
maybe its because i have a thing against all saxos, i know there great cars for the pound-fun factor but older 172 or a 106 gti over a vts .
only imo of course.

VOLVO V50 -SOON CLIO 172
I'm tagging this onto the end of this thread as I don't see the point of starting a new thread for a similar question....
Been looking at a Monaco Blue 172 53 plate, 80K with cruise. Looks to be in very good condition, new tyres, service and belts just done. I'm also looking at 3K, but can stretch a bit. Its on £3995, which looking around I would say was tad over priced, especially with the millage. What do you think I can realistically get it down to? Don't want to look at it in more detail if I can't get it within a few 100 or so of 3k.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I'm tagging this onto the end of this thread as I don't see the point of starting a new thread for a similar question....
Been looking at a Monaco Blue 172 53 plate, 80K with cruise. Looks to be in very good condition, new tyres, service and belts just done. I'm also looking at 3K, but can stretch a bit. Its on £3995, which looking around I would say was tad over priced, especially with the millage. What do you think I can realistically get it down to? Don't want to look at it in more detail if I can't get it within a few 100 or so of 3k.

I think thats a bit highly priced for the current market to be honest mate, the miles are a little on the high side. If you look about you would be able to get a sub 45k car for less money i would think >

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/837607.htm

Obviously all the 172's to date are due a cambelt change so thats uber important when agreeing a price, realistically your looking at a £700 bill (at the very least) from Renault and £500 from a reputible dealer.

this will be the ultimate haggaling tool if you go on somthing other than that Monaco. If the belts been done and its a clean example then you may find the owner will be air-tight on agreeing a price even though its strictly a buyers market at the moment imo

VOLVO V50 -SOON CLIO 172
I've noticed that the silver ones seem to be cheaper and looking around there seem to be more of them. I was looking at one of the rarer colours (does any1 know how many of each colour where made) and I think that the monaco colour looks really nice on the clio.
I guess I want to know can I realistically get a good 500-600 off the asking price or is that being a little ambitious. I think its only worth £3500 max, but to knock 500 quid of seems a bit cheeky.

on the look out
im laughing come the weekend to £7k to play with for a 182 :D keep searching high and low every where . just dont fancy silver, also was recaro seats a extra option on 182 ? as spotted a 182 with rec seats in it and seller has said his was optional extra