ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What thread is the 172 Sump Plugs ? And running with no Oil Pressure Sensor.

Does anyone know what the size of the standard sump plug on a 172 is ?

By size i mean what is the threads on it ?

Is it a M14 x 1.5 thread which is the same as the standard oil pressure sensor on the front of the engine block ?

The reason i ask is i'm planning on tidying up my oil pressure and temperature gauge setup i have in the car at the moment by taking the temperature from the sump.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=323781

For the oil pressure gauge if i plan to keep it i may screw a t piece (http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=ROAD&pcode=LMA050) into the standard Oil pressure switch outlet on the engine block and screw my oil pressure sender into it along with the oil pressure gauge sender ;)

Or if i can run without the standard oil pressure switch installed i will use the two outlets on the T piece for my gauge senders.

Is it safe to run with the Standard Oil Pressure switch removed and disconnected ?

And using a Oil Pressure Gauge instead ?

You wont want to run the temp sender in the clio sump, it'll get knocked off in no time.

Like i said, a remote line from the original position of the pressure warning switch for the pressure gauge, and the temp should be inline on the oil lines.

You wont want to run the temp sender in the clio sump, it'll get knocked off in no time.

Like i said, a remote line from the original position of the pressure warning switch for the pressure gauge, and the temp should be inline on the oil lines.

Ok cheers, i never thought the sump was that low :(

And isn't my Oil Temperature gauge better as close to the engine block as possible maybe in a t piece ?

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Ok cheers, i never thought the sump was that low :(

And isn't my Oil Temperature gauge better as close to the engine block as possible maybe in a t piece ?

I would have thought for the best reading aye. Whip the oil filter off to fit the t piece is our best bet ;)

I would have thought for the best reading aye. Whip the oil filter off to fit the t piece is our best bet ;)

"Our Best bet" ?

Lol :rasp:

The only thing is i've been online and can only find t pieces to fit the Standard oil pressure outlet (which is M14x1.5 threads) and these t pieces have 1/8 npt outlets on them which is ok for most gauge senders.
(http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...D&pcode=LMA050)

But the standard oil pressure switch sensor will be left out as i cant find a t piece with female M14x1.5 threads to allow it to be screwed back in :(

I've even looked for 1/8Npt Male --> M14x1.5 Female fittings to allow fitting into t piece.

And i just thought you'd need two t pieces screwed together to allow all 3 senders to be used again and theres no space so i may have to go back to my original idea of remotely fitting them somewhere using a hose but just try and reduce the clutter a bit.

Heres my setup at the moment which needs tidied up a bit and ideally located somewhere else if i can reduce the size a bit..

Image025-1.jpg

Image029-1.jpg

Last edited:
  Astra van,Mk1 nova
"Our Best bet" ?

Lol :rasp:

The only thing is i've been online and can only find t pieces to fit the Standard oil pressure outlet (which is M14x1.5 threads) and these t pieces have 1/8 npt outlets on them which is ok for most gauge senders.
(http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...D&pcode=LMA050)

But the standard oil pressure switch sensor will be left out as i cant find a t piece with female M14x1.5 threads to allow it to be screwed back in :(

I've even looked for 1/8Npt Male --> M14x1.5 Female fittings to allow fitting into t piece.

And i just thought you'd need two t pieces screwed together to allow all 3 senders to be used again and theres no space so i may have to go back to my original idea of remotely fitting them somewhere using a hose but just try and reduce the clutter a bit.

Heres my setup at the moment which needs tidied up a bit and ideally located somewhere else if i can reduce the size a bit..

Image025-1.jpg

Image029-1.jpg

Damn rite its our best bet because your doing mine to! ;)

Now nip on im going down to my garage in 10 you tit and need someone to hold car or it will end up on the railway :lolup:

Holy crap! lol

You dont want the sender pointing down out of the bottom of the sump thats all. And with it inline on the cooler lines you'll be measuring the temp of oil either before the cooler or after, depending what you want to know. Having it in the block makes no diff as we dont care about block temp.

All you need to do is get a blank brass T peice and drill/tap for a 1/8 npt and M14, dont bother searching for a million adaptors if they are hard to find. A T peice is nothing bar 2 dilling intersects, and because there is no flow it doesnt matter.

And you dont want your temp sender in a blind feed line.

Holy crap! lol

You dont want the sender pointing down out of the bottom of the sump thats all. And with it inline on the cooler lines you'll be measuring the temp of oil either before the cooler or after, depending what you want to know. Having it in the block makes no diff as we dont care about block temp.

All you need to do is get a blank brass T peice and drill/tap for a 1/8 npt and M14, dont bother searching for a million adaptors if they are hard to find. A T peice is nothing bar 2 dilling intersects, and because there is no flow it doesnt matter.

And you dont want your temp sender in a blind feed line.

Sound a plan mate :)

I may actually order that T piece from Demon Tweeks (in my attached link above)
Open out one of the holes to M14(or whatever it says in the Zeuss Book) and Tap it out to suit to take the original oil pressure sender/switch.

And use the other hole in it for my oil hose and remotely locate the senders ;)

I better get on the phone to my local hydraulic fitting supplier i guess.

Would it do any harm not having the standard oil pressure switch/sender disconnected ?

I didnt think it would as all it does is put on the low oil pressure light when it falls below a certain pressure doesnt it ?

And by the time the light comes on the engines f**ked :(
I guess thats the plus point of having a pressure gauge, you can see the pressure dropping :)

Or will the Ecu throw a wobbler as it aint connected ?

Unless i can get a t piece with an extra outlet on it which i guess you'd call a x piece

Lol :)

are you after something like this:

DSCF1634.jpg

apologies for the blurred photo

Yeah Matteh, its something like that i'm after :)
I remember you posted a reply with that pic the last time i was asking about oil pressure gauges a few months back.

Where did you get those fittings and what are the sizes ?

And do you have the engine in yet ?

If so whats space like ?

As the Standard oil pressure switch looks like its sticking out a fair bit and the 172 engine bay is tight space wise :(

'92 172, Lotus Elise
from pirtek, all m12x1.5 i think (or whatever the standard size is)

engine is in and doing well, theres a fair bit of clearance even in the mk1 bay - probably got about 2 inches between the end of the plug and the fan

not sure if the mk2 aux setup would get in the way though :S

the oil pressure switch isnt connected to the ecu, so it will be fine from that point of view

as much as i like the gauge, i still wouldnt be without the light as its much easier to notice should your pressure drop! (but by that point the damage is probably done :/)

Sorry to crash the thread but you're first pic (Image025-1.jpg), what is that metal thing you're holding? I've seen it in a few pics... I dont have one in my engine bay. 😧

from pirtek, all m12x1.5 i think (or whatever the standard size is)

engine is in and doing well, theres a fair bit of clearance even in the mk1 bay - probably got about 2 inches between the end of the plug and the fan

not sure if the mk2 aux setup would get in the way though :S

the oil pressure switch isnt connected to the ecu, so it will be fine from that point of view

as much as i like the gauge, i still wouldnt be without the light as its much easier to notice should your pressure drop! (but by that point the damage is probably done :/)

Ok cheers mate ;)

Sorry to crash the thread but you're first pic (Image025-1.jpg), what is that metal thing you're holding? I've seen it in a few pics... I dont have one in my engine bay. 😧

And yeah its the fuel rail guard

I take it nobody has any ideas ? :(
The sump plug thread size ? :(

I dont fancy taking my sump plug out just to find out.

if no one has answered by tomorrow i'll go measure my spare one

Ok cheers mate ;)

I called Renault but they never had any in stock, well so they said.
Evans Halshaw in Aberdeen are useless even for a sump plug :rasp:
So i ordered a couple of them and then went offshore the next day :(

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Any reason bar the extra cost these aren't used as a simple/easy solution? Any problems running them inline with the filter?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
should be fine... only reason I used a t-piece off the pressure switch was because I was using a valver pressure sender

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
tempting then as an easier way to do it. That pic of D1cky's with all that stuff chained together is enough to put me off :p