ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to do to my Standard 1.2 16v ?

Renault clio 1.2
Hi guys, ive recently bought a 51 plate Clio 1.2 16v expression+. Its looking pretty standard at the moment just wanted your opinions on what i could do to it? :cool: any ideas will be great.
Thanks,
Mckorley.

Clio
Lowered, 172 alloys, RS grill, 172 rear bumper, colour code bump strips/sidestrips, Silvervisions.

Renault clio 1.2
Thanks, ille put a pic up soon so you guys can let me know what you think ? I eventually want to get a 182, but insurance is a killer!

Renault clio 1.2
mckorley

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
keep her standard until you can get a better car!

I did exactly the same, bought a 1.2 as my daily. Did a hell of alot of bits to her & made a £1500 loss when i sold her. Just not worth it.

53 Clio's & counting
A 172 replica would be the easiest route, requiring front and rear bumpers, front grille, rear spoiler, wheels and some spacers for the basics.

But don't go too mad, if your savvy you could do a replica quite cheaply - keep all your standard bits, return it to standard when you sell it and sell all the 172 bits to recoup(sp?) some money

Renault clio 1.2
I see, i was just thinking of small cheap mods so i dont make that mistake. :clap: This is my first car so dont want to spend too much on it if i can help it.

Ibiza FR Edition
I would keep it standard and save your money up for a faster/ better car.
This... I spent my time cleaning and correcting the paint, changed the headunit, aerial (standard one got nicked) and tax disc holder. Other than that I just made sure I kept it well maintained and saved for the 182.

Renault clio 1.2
Thanks for the input, I think i will leave it pretty standard for now. I have a red cheery bomb in the garage, i may put that on, what do you think ?

Listerine & Poledo
No.

Well, up to you, but it will make one hell of a dreadfully embarassing racket.

If that's your bag, go for it

53 Clio's & counting
Thanks for the input, I think i will leave it pretty standard for now. I have a red cheery bomb in the garage, i may put that on, what do you think ?

Although we all do it when we are young, id say no - Cheery bombs are a bit crude and it will end up just making a racket mate, but it's your car at the end of the day :)

1.2 Dynam & 182FFCup
Nice colour. The RS Grille is a popular mod on here. Makes the car look so much better imo.

For a supposed 'Car enthusiast' forum, it's peculiar to see a lot of people say keep it standard.
I suppose if you want to personalise it but keep it cheap, you can spray your badges/dash strips, perhaps get tints?

Renault clio 1.2
Thanks, yeahh im looking for a grille as they do look much better, How do the dash strips come off? just clip off or? and defo gonna spray the badges Matt Black.

Mk1 Focus RS
IMO keep it standard, keep it clean and enjoy it.

no point wasting money modifying it as you won't get the money back.

If your after a 182, just save the money you will save by not modifying your 1.2 until you can afford a 182, it will be worth the wait :)

1.2 Dynam & 182FFCup
A flathead screwdriver and some delicacy, they're only in by clips.

I only got round to spraying my rear badge the other day. It was quite the inconvenience.

380756_10151595728975607_820945606_24195948_1299052544_n.jpg

(Still got a bit of masking tape to get off)

1eight2
As above keep it standard or modifiy it right.

Things like removing the rear wiper just make the car less practical for little aesthetic value. IMO it looks crap!

Clio 1.2 (1st car)
this is what i'd do mate
70ish mm springs
ATS cup wheels
spray front badge black
get euro front fogs
tint windows
colour code side and front plastics
2.jpg
[/IMG]
editttsss
2edit.jpg
[/IMG]

Renault clio 1.2
Cheers for that pal! looks mint! i will have a think about it, its all about the cost when your 17. haha.

Renault clio 1.2
Looks pretty sweet, Bit low for where i live though. ;) haha. How much did it cost you for all the mods ?

Clio 1.2 (1st car)
Looks pretty sweet, Bit low for where i live though. ;) haha. How much did it cost you for all the mods ?

800 for car
sound system got cheaper then shud of :p
coil overs 200 supply, 200 to fit
stainless custom decat sports pipe 375
steelies shotblasted galvenised and powdercoated all for 80 :p
and then stickers and bulbs for not too much off ebay :)

i rele want the ATS cup wheels (i put on your car ^)

Renault clio 1.2
I probs wouldnt be able to afford that sort of money to spend on mine. :( But yours is pretty mint! Btw, how did you edit my pic? what did you use ?

work for BMW
Modify it with cheap mods like RS grill and colour code, for the llittle money it makes a huge difference

Clio 1.2 (1st car)
I probs wouldnt be able to afford that sort of money to spend on mine. :( But yours is pretty mint! Btw, how did you edit my pic? what did you use ?

i only could could ihad money saved for a car.. plus have a job.. but thankssss :)
and yea as alex5 said.. cheap bit of spraying makes hell of a difference..

and i used photoshop cs mate

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
For a supposed 'Car enthusiast' forum, it's peculiar to see a lot of people say keep it standard.
I suppose if you want to personalise it but keep it cheap, you can spray your badges/dash strips, perhaps get tints?

OP wants to ultimately have/own/run a 182.

OP spends £x on modifying his 1.2 (which looks pretty good already), and subsequently loses money on resale.

Or, OP holds onto that money, and puts it toward insuring a real actual RS 182 far earlier than he would be able to if he instead spunked all his cash on making a 182 rep.

As a 'car enthusiast' I know what I'd be inclined to do.

work for BMW
people forget that a lot of mods can just be resold at a later date therefore modding doesnt loose you that much ££ ..

Meg 300Cup
I probs wouldnt be able to afford that sort of money to spend on mine. :(

Wouldnt bother doing too much tbh, the clio 1.2s are great 1st cars but dont really see the point on spending a fortune on mods on them when theyre still just a 1.2

If you can save a decent amount each month theres no reason why you couldnt have a 182 by the time youre 18/19, youll be happy you didnt waste any money when you finally get youre hands on one

Renault clio 1.2
Cheers guys, much appreciated, think i will just do a couple of small mods such as spraying/vinal wrapping badges ect, defo keen for a 182 sometime!

On mine ive just lowered it to about 75mm on coilovers, sprayed front and back badges black to match bonnet, kept standard dynamique alloys, silvervisions, xenon bulbs. Some other little bits too.... i saw you mention an exhaust system a few posts ago (didnt read all) .. whether you've done that or not i'd personally suggest not to. Thats the one thing i wont do with mine - at the end of the day its a 1.2 , dont really want a big shouty exhaust on it to draw attention as its not ever going to be a fast car! On the flip side, i did fit a pipercross cone filter as i was given it for free, makes a nice noise but it is still subtle compared to exhaust.