ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to look for when buying a Clio Sport 172

soon: 172 Cup
I have seen a few Full Fats as thats what i think i have decided on!!!!

Now what do i look for when i go to view one of these? understandably their is the bodywork, but i am more concerned regarding the engine (as this is the sole reason i am buying one!!!!!)

I have heard that a common problem for 172 is Idling and sometimes the suspension sounds a bit knocky?????

There is someone that is willing to P/X his 172 for my Saxo + Cash. here are its details:

2003 – '03' Metallic Red, 35K miles, FSH, 5 Months Tax, 11 month MOT, Part leather sports seats, electric windows, electric mirrors, auto headlamps and wipers, CD, trip computer, PAS, Upgraded Thatham level 1 approved alarm / immobilizer (gets discount on insurance), Climate control, ABS and ESP, 3x3 point rear seat belts,Excellent condition £6900.
Part Ex considered on small standard car in good condition.

83850-1.jpg

83850-4.jpg

So what do people think, as i am a Newbie to the whole 172 concept, some an experts opinion would be GREAT! (why does saying Great remind me if that SODDING Frostie advert :evil: )

Or if you guys know any 172's going around the £6k mark, please let me know :D Prefferred based in the South!

Megane225FF
they all sound rough on start up.. idle better when warm
exhaust's are made from tin cans - only a matter of time before they fail
rear dampers leak
"Upgraded Thatham level 1 approved alarm / immobilizer " - check if its an import.. identical spec, but for locking wheel nuts & window etching.

Cheers guys, all very helpful comments. Anyone know of any nice 172 Full Fats going around, i may side with a Cup if the price/mileage etc is right.

Anyone selling a low mile 172 Cup in Blue :D

i am good at spotting blemishes so should be ok, i am looking for more what to look for under the bonnet, i know about the whole head gasket etc etc, but anyhing else to watch out for?