ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to make a better K4M's in Torque and BHP ???

Clio II 1.6 16v 2 Doors
Hi there guys, My Name is Rafael Valente,

I live in Rio de Janeiro/Brazil. Doing some search on the web I found this site and I think you guys can give me some ideas for improove my K4M engine on my Clio II.

I have a Clio II 1.6 16v K4M Engine ( Petrol/Ethanol Fuel ) ( 2005, yes, in Brazil we didn´t have the Clio III ) and I´m doing some upgrades trying to improve more BHP and Torque. As adviced from Renault the Engine Power today have 110BHP in Gasoline and 115BHP in Ethanol ( 15.2 nm and 16.0nm respectively ) I already have installed a Induction Cold Air Intake as the photo bellow could be seeying :
64079259hk9.jpg
98121697be8.jpg
That sound great when reving the engine, but I wish to hear some advices where can I do some work to extract more power from this engine.

I also have a Dastek UnichipQ version Piggyback Computer to install on it, but I´ll be doing first, the full exhaust system removing the catco, do it will give me more power? If yes, how many can I expect just doing a non restricted exhaust and mufflers?

Thanks in advance,

Sorry for my English, it sucks.

Best Regards!

Rafael Valente

Clio II 1.6 16v 2 Doors
Thanks... checking it...

Anyone knows how many RPM can I reach with internal stock parts? I'm going to open the RPM rev limiter from 6k RPM to a 6.8k. Can I do it or it´s a bad Idea?

Thanks!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I was reading a book the other day about Rio and the Coke problem they have.

You are called Crackboy. You are located in Rio.

See where this is going??

Clio II 1.6 16v 2 Doors
CrackBoy is not about Crack or Drugs Mate... It´s my NickName coz on 90's I used to create Crack programs to crack softwares, just that...

BTW... Let´s continue to talk about K4M? What you guys think?

In Brazil I don´t have access to corps like AngelWorks to create a Body like on the thread on this forum.

What "recipe" you guys can help me out to push this engine a little more more han stock?

Thanks!

Focus RS Mk1
your on the right lines mate, full exhaust system and decent intake system are a good place to start. I would start to think about brakes next...a good set of brakes is worth 10-15bhp on the road if used properly.

Engine wise i'd be looking at a set of cams to replace the std items. Catcams, shrick are examples of what u can use. not sure of the application into your 1.6 though. have a look on their websites and see you what you can find out.

LY 200
I'm not familiar with the layout of k4m but isn't that induction kit going straight into the throttle body, with flexible tubing?

wouldn't it contract under load?

Last edited:
  Clio II 1.6 16v 2 Doors
I'm not familiar with the layout of k4m but isn't that induction kit going straight into the throttle body, with flexible tubing?

wouldn't it contract under load?

Mate, that thing you call "flexible tubing" is pure RUBBER with a wall of 0.5mm... I can handle 2.0 PSI easly...

Nope, it didn´t move a millimiter even when reving over 6k RPM...

Regards!

none :(
I would suggest trying to get the air intake to have less bends. I would also suggest that the cold air pipe is too small for the car.

if you can get the intake sorted you should then look at the exhaust, the manifold is quite probably not great design, a nice 4-2-1 manifold, decat and bigger pipe work would free up some power and give a nice sporty noise.

from there you could look at porting the intake and head, fitting new cams, ecu... big money.

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
Catcams told me you can go 7.2k with the standard valve springs. Me personally, I have the limitter a 7k.

Clio II 1.6 16v 2 Doors
Catcams told me you can go 7.2k with the standard valve springs. Me personally, I have the limitter a 7k.

It´s a K4M ? More someone have experience swapping the original 6k rpm rev limiter to 7k? Post me impressions please.

Thanks!

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
Yes, it´s K4M.....look here my blog:

http://home.vr-web.de/seegi/Umbau/Umbauengl.html

at the moment I have another exhaust system, but that´s no difference in power...;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75IJxQ89P70

or ask minivalver (I think the link to his blog was already posted...)

Regarding your air intake, basically not bad, but in my opinion the diameter of the air-box inlet is too small. And also I would let him suck from another location, mine sucks from the left fog-light....

clio2008_21.jpg

SANY0275.jpg

---> link

Last edited:
  ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
No he can´t! He´s got already the newer engine with electric throttle and there is no difference between K4J/K4M and the F4P/F4R-engines.....

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
adamnothing makes sense to you! roundabout anyone?
and for crackhead or whatever your called.
just go and do an engine swap stop pissing about.

Clio II 1.6 16v 2 Doors
Engine Swap is PROHIBITED in Brazil Mate... =(

If you blown an engine, you need to go to the maker and get another one from the same model number. =(

That´s why I need to upgrade "light" this engine to have more power... =)

Thanks anyway for your recomendation.

Regards!

Clio II 1.6 16v 2 Doors
Yes, it´s K4M.....look here my blog:

http://home.vr-web.de/seegi/Umbau/Umbauengl.html

at the moment I have another exhaust system, but that´s no difference in power...;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75IJxQ89P70

or ask minivalver (I think the link to his blog was already posted...)

Regarding your air intake, basically not bad, but in my opinion the diameter of the air-box inlet is too small. And also I would let him suck from another location, mine sucks from the left fog-light....

clio2008_21.jpg

SANY0275.jpg

---> link

Thanks for your reply Mate....

Nice installation man! congrats... I should do the same on mine droping the intake to the bumper to see the effect.

Now, do you know or someone knows if it´s safe to modify the rev limiter to 7k on a stock engine? This is basically my main objective here too...

Thanks in Advance!

Best Regards!

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
but i thought the electric throttle body from a f4r was bigger and a straight swap with the k4m?

That´s only the case with the mecanical ones. I compared the part numbers of all, and that was allways the same (here in germany, so I think it´s the same in GB).

Lionel Richie
you only make an extra 5bhp from ethanol??? you should be making loads more than that!! is the car mapped for ethanol?

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
you only make an extra 5bhp from ethanol??? you should be making loads more than that!! is the car mapped for ethanol?

The higher ocatane number is the one, but did you compare the net calorific value of both??

ethanol: 7,44 kWh/kg = 5,9 kWh/l (density:789 kg/m³ )
petrol 95: 12,0 kWh/kg = 8,9 kWh/l (density:740 kg/m³ )

Thanks for your reply Mate....

Nice installation man! congrats... I should do the same on mine droping the intake to the bumper to see the effect.

Now, do you know or someone knows if it´s safe to modify the rev limiter to 7k on a stock engine? This is basically my main objective here too...

Thanks in Advance!

Best Regards!

Yes you can run a 7k Rev limiter though there is little point in my opinion unless you have aftermarket cams that will make power in that range.

M

mini-valver

I'm running the rev limter at 7.5k. Been fine so far on the standard valve springs and bottom end.

The standard cams are really really mild so I'd suggest looking int changing those first although you're quite limited as to how wild you can go on the electronic throttle!

Clio II 1.6 16v 2 Doors
Thanks for the help in the posts guys... replying everyone now...

Yes, there´s turbo Kit in Brazil, but I don not like turbos, I try to squeezy all the power that the engine can do in NA mode...

Tommorrow I´m going to place the Unichip and show the Graphs for you guys, btw, I rebuild today all my exhaust system in 2 inches diameter and felt the car completly "free" decating it =) LOL...

Thanks for the Praize on Rio, yes, it´s beautifull place to live, not the most safe tho...

And I´m in touch with oliver to try to get a Catcams like he did onto it´s K4M, hope to get it and then extract more power for this engine.

Regards!

Last edited:
  ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V

And I´m in touch with oliver to try to get a Catcams like he did onto it´s K4M, hope to get it and then extract more power for this engine.

Regards!

Catcams are imported in Brazil by:

- company
DA LUZ RACING BR

- address
R.BARAO DE CERRO AZUL,1484 - S.17 BAIRRO CARIOCA

- postal code
-- city
83005-430
-- SAO JOSÉ DOS PINHAIS (PR)

- phone
+55 4132835927

- fax
+55 4130352335

- website
www.daluz-racing.com.br

- email
daluz@daluz-racing.com.br

Clio II 1.6 16v 2 Doors
Catcams are imported in Brazil by:

- company
DA LUZ RACING BR

- address
R.BARAO DE CERRO AZUL,1484 - S.17 BAIRRO CARIOCA

- postal code
-- city
83005-430
-- SAO JOSÉ DOS PINHAIS (PR)

- phone
+55 4132835927

- fax
+55 4130352335

- website
www.daluz-racing.com.br

- email
daluz@daluz-racing.com.br

Thanks Oliver... I should contact DA LUZ racing for a quote.

I know the owner personally, and he never told me about that...

This Cams can be used in conjunction with the original Pulleys? Or I need an AWT Like?

Thanks again mate!

Regards!

Clio II 1.6 16v 2 Doors
I shall make the video this weekend with the dyno parts of the Unichip tuning....

BTW... I have the numbers.

Max Power 132.5 BHP @ 5750 Rpm
Max Torque 18.3 Nm @ 4000 Rpm

Later I will take a photo of the graphs and post.

Regards!