ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What will £3k get me in the Clio game these days?

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
I might just end up with my 106 on the road if I dont find something suitable anyway, that wont be a bad thing :D

Inferno 225
I part x my vectra got 750 and payed 3k for my 182 wiv 62k on the clock and all the belts changed , I looked around for a while but if ya look ya can get one

Lecky

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Paid £1,850 for my 182 with belts done and full service history... however no cup packs and it was on 109k miles. It's turned out to be much better than my previous 182 though which was only on 45k miles when I got it!

120d M Sport
My rule of thumb would be the CAP system, I don't know if you are familiar with it? It's like glasses guide but electronic, and it monitors what vehicles sell for at auctions and retail on forcourts. It then averages the prices to give three tiers of vehicle quality. You input the mileage and select the model and year of the vehicle and it gives you the three trade in prices and a retail figure.

I work as a Sales exec for Mazda, and most dealers have a vehicle price monitoring system for valuing PX's. A "clean" 2001 Clio Sport with 80,000 miles had a trade in value of £630 and a retail value of £1095 at the time that I purchased my car.

The used car market it controlled by the buyers demand, if everybody was only willing to pay a grand for a certain car, the market would drop until the demanding price was met. Simple economics, we dictate our own car prices in a strange way. :)

Have a look on Pistonheads at the moment - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/li...t=&px=&xsl=list&pagesize=15&filter=TP&o=q&pc=

I'd say I paid spot on the money for my car, similar cars but two years newer are only £4/500 dearer.

Interesting stuff. I agree about the demand thing.

I would however say that your 172, as described, could be put up for £1500 and be sold for that too.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
You can have my Clio for £3k as it is. No joke.
Belts need doing next year though.
Knowing you, you wont have it that long anyway.

RB 182 FF
Potential argument starter here, but I'm going to say it anyway.

Other than the obvious power improvements, what's so great about 182's?

I paid less than £900 for my immaculate, one owner from new, FSH 172 which was on 78K and had JUST had the belts done by a main dealer. With the change between my 172 and a 182 I could easily TB or RS2 or cam it. My 172 after a fastchip map is quicker than a 182 and has more torque, still for less than a grand.

I just don't see the attraction myself, why pay more than you have to for something? Unless I am missing something glaringly obvious?

No offence but the colour of your 172 isn't one bit desirable, and in my opinion the 182 rear bumper and exhausts is much nicer than the 172, also LY or RB paint makes the car look so much more special which wasn't available on 172's. Don't get me wrong your car is obviously a ridiculous bargain and I salute you!! but I would say a nice LY or RB cup packed 182 is worth every bit of the 2-3k extra you'd be paying because they look special and hold value better!

inferno 182.
whoo mate! good buy i must agree! cap is usually way over priced compaired to glasses guide mate! your placing your opinion on auction prices! your in the motor trade like me! I run a bodyshop and you bought a trade in???
My rule of thumb would be the CAP system, I don't know if you are familiar with it? It's like glasses guide but electronic, and it monitors what vehicles sell for at auctions and retail on forcourts. It then averages the prices to give three tiers of vehicle quality. You input the mileage and select the model and year of the vehicle and it gives you the three trade in prices and a retail figure.

I work as a Sales exec for Mazda, and most dealers have a vehicle price monitoring system for valuing PX's. A "clean" 2001 Clio Sport with 80,000 miles had a trade in value of £630 and a retail value of £1095 at the time that I purchased my car.

The used car market it controlled by the buyers demand, if everybody was only willing to pay a grand for a certain car, the market would drop until the demanding price was met. Simple economics, we dictate our own car prices in a strange way. :)

Have a look on Pistonheads at the moment - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/li...t=&px=&xsl=list&pagesize=15&filter=TP&o=q&pc=

I'd say I paid spot on the money for my car, similar cars but two years newer are only £4/500 dearer.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The only reason I'd choose a 182 over a 172 is simply because gay yellow/ gay blue.

To me, that's the only difference; the 182 has prettier colours and is therefore better ha :p

Daniel, why don't you run the 106 while saving for a ly/rb 182? So you have money to play with and don't take a risk by jumping on a possible nail?

And jardo, I think the ph2 will be timeless as most people think the mk3 clios are meganes lol! A lad at work commented on my car saying he'd like a new megane :p

172 Cup
With 3k to spend, I'd get a mint 172 cup with low miles and belts done etc... A good 182 for this money will generally be higher mileage which may or may not put you off.

I sold my RB182 for 3.5k almost 2 years ago now (August 2010!)
It was on 80k, belts done, Janspeed exhaust etc.
It was a bit rough around the edges, but it makes me sure it's possible to get a good 182 in a non-catwalk colour for 3k now!

IMO you need 4k for a minter. 3k and your going to have to spend a little. Also I guess a lot of it depends on mileage.

£3k a ok/nice 182. Very nice PH2 172 and a mint PH1 172.

£3.5k - £4k for mint 182's/ Racing Blue & Liquid Yellow.

£4k + for decent Trophys.

Thats a rough guide however bargains can be had.

RB 182
With 3k to spend, I'd get a mint 172 cup with low miles and belts done etc... A good 182 for this money will generally be higher mileage which may or may not put you off.

I disagree. My mate is selling his 182 at the moment, pretty low mileage and just had the belts and dephaser done and he would probably take £2700 for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-RENA...mobiles_UK&hash=item19d364f683#ht_1729wt_1039

The photo's or ad aren't the best and its got apex springs but he's recently had a dent man on it so the bodywork is pretty good.